Built dosn't seem to work?

Bob Lee swagger

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hey all :??:

So I wanted to try to build this rig with my friend. When we were done putting the things together, the pc wouldn't turn on!
Another friend of mine who works with pc's all day, said it could be the motherboard... The PSU was working fine he said...

What do you guys think? Please help me out!

Heres my build --------------- Oh, and it's for casual gaming, no biggies like BF3 etc.

CPU: AMD Black Edition - AMD Phenom II X4
965 - 3.4 GHz - 4 cores

Paste: Cooler Master HTK

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 - Miditower -
ATX - ( ATX / PS/2)

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 - (Intern)

DVD: Samsung SH-222AB - DDR - DVD±
RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM

Graphic: VP-AMD7850-1024A C3D Radeon HD
7850 (DVI/HDMI/DP)

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 - Motherboard- ATX
- Socket AM3+ - AMD 970

Sata: HD Caviar Blue/500GB SATA 6GB 3.5

RAM: Corsair DDR3 PC1600 8GB CL9 kit vengeance

well first troubleshooting thing i would do to a not starting up system is look at the back of the power supply and make sure its set for right voltage 220v or 110v...after that i would check the front panel connectors and look over the motherboard manual to make sure the power, reset, hd led, and the activity led are plugged in correctly
after that i would check the power supply connects making sure no connection is loose
after that i would take out the power supply and jump start it with a paper clip to make sure it works

good luck

Bob Lee swagger

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Thanks for answering!

I have checked the PSU, and it's working.
All the cables are plugged in their rightfull places...

Though, when I installed the stock cooler on the CPU it had to be forced with alot of power, I actually needed some assistance for that.. is that normal, and could that have affected the CPU? none of the pins are broken or bended though.

Any other reasons why it might not work? Should I get a stronger PSU? Thinking cos' of the graphic card perhaps?

Appreciate all kind of help!

yes stock cooler has push pins, make sure the pins go thru the holes and you will hear a pop. when removing the cooler twist those pins left or right and they will come out

umm some better motherboards will have power and reset button on the motherboard itself try pressing those lol?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
What happens when you hit the power button? If nothing happens, it could be as simple as a busted/disconnected power switch.

You've verified that the PSU turns on via paper clip to verify it turns on (or something like that), did you have it hooked to the PC at the time? If everything is ok with the PSU and power switch, you should at least have spinning fans.

Your PSU is more than sufficient for the GPU you have, so I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's working properly.

If fans are spinning, but not seeing anything on screen, then Mobo/CPU/GPU could be the issue. there. You can try resetting your BIOS settings via the CMOS jumper (couldn't hurt to do). Keep an eye on you HDD/Optical drive lights and see if you have any activity there, could be a purely graphical issue.