Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Compatibility of PSU and GPU

Last response: in Components
Share
February 14, 2013 4:37:38 AM

Hello there, I've come here with a pressing question. I am not exactly the most computer-literate person, but I know enough about stuff here and there to start building a computer. I've gotten all my parts together and had gotten well into building it when I came at an impasse. See, I have this psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Raidmax Hybrid 630W), and this gpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (XFX 7870). My gpu requires two individual 6-pin connectors. My psu, to my dismay, only had one 6-pin connector, despite it being listed under the details; 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin, which I took to mean that it had two connectors, when in reality, both of those connector heads are on a single cable. Which psu should I get mine replaced with (pretty sure it wont be able to accommodate my gpu), and how do I know if the number of connectors are enough?

More about : compatibility psu gpu

a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 4:42:31 AM

Yep, that's right. You just have to seperate the 2 extra pins from the 6+2 PCIe cable and use both of them on the GPU. So, you would have two 6 pin connections coming from one cable.
February 14, 2013 6:17:49 AM

cball1311 said:
Yep, that's right. You just have to seperate the 2 extra pins from the 6+2 PCIe cable and use both of them on the GPU. So, you would have two 6 pin connections coming from one cable.


I dont understand...the manual led me to believe i needed two separate 6 pin cables, you're saying i can just use one cable?

Edit: I also just checked the manual again, and the diagram clearly states that i cant use a single cable to split into the two 6-pin connectors, i have to have two separate cables coming from the psu to plug into the two 6-pin connectors on the gpu, a fact which I was woefully unaware of when purchasing the psu.
Related resources
February 14, 2013 6:31:07 AM

Oh and just to clarify; I want to know how I can avoid getting into this situation with other psus (how to check if a psu has enough connectors for my gpu)
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 6:47:28 AM

The 6pin and 6+2pin work the same way just leave off the extra two connectors from the 6+2.
February 14, 2013 7:38:07 AM

mouse24 said:
The 6pin and 6+2pin work the same way just leave off the extra two connectors from the 6+2.


But that doesnt address the problem of my 7870 needing two INDIVIDUAL cables with 6-pin connectors
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 7:41:20 AM

tony_abuyo said:
But that doesnt address the problem of my 7870 needing two INDIVIDUAL cables with 6-pin connectors


Do you mean two cables that are separated from each other completely? If so where did you hear this? Its more or less false, I say more or less because in certain use cases it could be drawing to much power from a one rail of a low power multi-rail PSU (like one of those 4 rail 500w) but yours is fine. It will work all you have to do is plug it in.
February 14, 2013 8:03:29 AM

mouse24 said:
Do you mean two cables that are separated from each other completely? If so where did you hear this? Its more or less false, I say more or less because in certain use cases it could be drawing to much power from a one rail of a low power multi-rail PSU (like one of those 4 rail 500w) but yours is fine. It will work all you have to do is plug it in.


I saw a diagram in the 7870's manual where it specifically prohibited using one cable with 2 6-pin heads and to use instead, a psu with two separate cables with 6-pin heads
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 8:11:16 AM

tony_abuyo said:
I saw a diagram in the 7870's manual where it specifically prohibited using one cable with 2 6-pin heads and to use instead, a psu with two separate cables with 6-pin heads



Heh, well thats completely false and I have no idea why they would put that on there. If that was the case then we wouldn't have 6+2pin connectors as those use double the power of a 6pin.
February 14, 2013 8:14:22 AM

mouse24 said:
Heh, well thats completely false and I have no idea why they would put that on there. If that was the case then we wouldn't have 6+2pin connectors as those use double the power of a 6pin.


Are you absolutely sure about this? I dont wanna just use this psu willy nilly and end up frying my system...and just to clarify, we are talking about using a pci-e connector that has a 6-pin and a 6+2 pin head on the same cable going to the psu right (y-connector)?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 8:39:41 AM
Share

tony_abuyo said:
Are you absolutely sure about this? I dont wanna just use this psu willy nilly and end up frying my system...and just to clarify, we are talking about using a pci-e connector that has a 6-pin and a 6+2 pin head on the same cable going to the psu right (y-connector)?


Yes, its exactly how I have mine setup on my 6870. If anything I would be more worried about the quality of that psu (raidmax is a horrible brand and that psu quite frankly disgusts me in terms of quality)
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 8:45:58 AM

^yes - get rid of that power supply. Quality power supplies will have all of the needed connectors Corsair, antec, seasonic, XFX....
-Bruce
February 14, 2013 9:00:27 AM

Best answer selected by tony_abuyo.
February 14, 2013 9:00:41 AM

Thx bro!
!