Sign in with
Your question

Just Cause 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2012 12:44:43 AM

Hello, im running a pc with windows 7 64 bit, 8gbs of memory, an amd quad core athalon and am ATI Radon 4200 and when i try to play just cause its extemely laggy? Whyyy??

More about : question

a b $ Windows 7
a c 141 } Memory
August 11, 2012 12:52:58 AM

ATI Radon 4200

There's your problem. The Radeon 4200 is a low power integrated processor. It was not designed for gaming
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
August 11, 2012 1:29:32 AM

Yes.
The only way to play on your existing hardware is to turn down the quality and resolution. I suggest 1366x768 and whatever other video settings get you above 30FPS at all times (monitor with FRAPS). But this game probably won't look very good on your graphics.

If you want to game on that PC you need to buy a dedicated graphics card. FYI, I can just barely max out the quality in JC2 with a GTX680.

My advice is buy an HD6870 or better card, depending on your budget. If you think you can afford as much as $300 + tax the upcoming GTX660Ti might be the best card.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
August 11, 2012 1:49:58 AM

Update:
There is a great tool I used with my AMD HD5870 card called "RadeonPro".

I used it for two main things:
1) apply VSYNC (if game didn't do it)
2) apply anti-aliasing (if game didn't do it. example "Mass Effect 1 and 2")

However, there's another feature that might help you under the "Tweaks" section and that is to force the HALF VSYNC option (synch to 30FPS and not 60FPS to avoid screen tearing).

i.e.
1. Install and run RadeonPro
2. drag over the main EXE file to RadeonPro (will add a link)
3. go to "Tweaks"... "HALF VSYNC" (you'll find it)
4. run FRAPS (just to show the frame rate so you can tweak the video quality)
5. start Just Cause 2

Now if everything was done correctly, the main game (ignore the cut scenes) should be synched at 30FPS.

You want to apply all your video settings WITHOUT VSYNC enabled so you can see the frame rate. Now adjust settings so you get the best picture at about 35 to 40FPS (less than 10% dips below 30FPS).

NOW you enable the HALF VSYNC feature, restart the game and it should synch to EXACTLY 30FPS (mainly to avoid screen tearing).

Worth a try.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 141 } Memory
August 11, 2012 2:53:47 AM

photonboy said:
Update:
There is a great tool I used with my AMD HD5870 card called "RadeonPro".

I used it for two main things:
1) apply VSYNC (if game didn't do it)
2) apply anti-aliasing (if game didn't do it. example "Mass Effect 1 and 2")

However, there's another feature that might help you under the "Tweaks" section and that is to force the HALF VSYNC option (synch to 30FPS and not 60FPS to avoid screen tearing).

i.e.
1. Install and run RadeonPro
2. drag over the main EXE file to RadeonPro (will add a link)
3. go to "Tweaks"... "HALF VSYNC" (you'll find it)
4. run FRAPS (just to show the frame rate so you can tweak the video quality)
5. start Just Cause 2

Now if everything was done correctly, the main game (ignore the cut scenes) should be synched at 30FPS.

You want to apply all your video settings WITHOUT VSYNC enabled so you can see the frame rate. Now adjust settings so you get the best picture at about 35 to 40FPS (less than 10% dips below 30FPS).

NOW you enable the HALF VSYNC feature, restart the game and it should synch to EXACTLY 30FPS (mainly to avoid screen tearing).

Worth a try.

That won't make up for the fact that the OP has an IGP which probably isn't even close to sufficient for 30 FPS
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
August 12, 2012 11:33:34 PM

Pinhedd said:
That won't make up for the fact that the OP has an IGP which probably isn't even close to sufficient for 30 FPS

I have no idea if he can get 30FPS or not at the lowest setting. If he can, the information is there.
m
l
!