Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my Cpu Dying?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 14, 2013 5:17:44 AM

Problem solved. A core parking issue appeared and with best answer I had a clue, and found what was my issue!

More about : cpu dying

February 14, 2013 5:36:21 AM

First four Cores suddently parked themselves even If I have core parking disabled.
Running A antivirus scan and A malwabytes scan, can it be due to that?
Will restart computer to see if it's still like that.

Seems now there is a switch on which core is parked and which core isnt.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 10:31:29 AM

what do you mean you dont have a cooler?

m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 12:14:03 PM

Make sure you upgrade your BIOS to the latest version, and your graphics card.
m
0
l
February 14, 2013 12:18:18 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
what do you mean you dont have a cooler?

maybe he's just using a stock heatsink and fan, and referring to after market heatsink and fans as coolers?
m
0
l
February 14, 2013 1:32:09 PM

phil_livesey said:
maybe he's just using a stock heatsink and fan, and referring to after market heatsink and fans as coolers?


My case is A Cooler Master HAF (4 pretty big fans) So air flow in my case is ok. I use the stock heatsink and fan for the cpu. Sorry for not being clear.

Will do a checkup for drivers, but weirdly, after restating comp, 4 of my cores are still always parked at a time.
m
0
l
February 14, 2013 4:05:58 PM

Just another update:

GPU drivers were already up to date.
I upgraded BIOS, but nothing changes.
I used razer game booster, closing everything but a game I test (In this case SMITE)
And still get 100% two cores Use.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 10:40:50 PM

Hi :) 

Cpu`s don't die slowly...

They are alive (working machine) or Dead (machine wont even start)

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

February 14, 2013 10:45:21 PM

Arcanastenebrae said:
First four Cores suddently parked themselves even If I have core parking disabled.
Running A antivirus scan and A malwabytes scan, can it be due to that?
Will restart computer to see if it's still like that.

Seems now there is a switch on which core is parked and which core isnt.


Bulldozers shut down and enable cores based on the usage of each core.

Bulldozers cores are split into modules of 2 cores, your 6-core has 3 modules, the 2 cores in each module share resources, if you're running a core intensive, but not heavily multithreaded application, like gaming, the module will dedicate all it's shared resources to one core and deactivate the other, if you are doing a non core intensive, heavily threaded application, it will split the resources to both cores to have more, weaker cores.

It's normal, You have a glorified tri core.
Share
a c 146 à CPUs
February 14, 2013 11:16:12 PM

darkspartenwarrior said:
Bulldozers shut down and enable cores based on the usage of each core.

Bulldozers cores are split into modules of 2 cores, your 6-core has 3 modules, the 2 cores in each module share resources, if you're running a core intensive, but not heavily multithreaded application, like gaming, the module will dedicate all it's shared resources to one core and deactivate the other, if you are doing a non core intensive, heavily threaded application, it will split the resources to both cores to have more, weaker cores.

It's normal, You have a glorified tri core.


Exactly right.
m
0
l
February 14, 2013 11:55:53 PM

darkspartenwarrior said:
Bulldozers shut down and enable cores based on the usage of each core.

Bulldozers cores are split into modules of 2 cores, your 6-core has 3 modules, the 2 cores in each module share resources, if you're running a core intensive, but not heavily multithreaded application, like gaming, the module will dedicate all it's shared resources to one core and deactivate the other, if you are doing a non core intensive, heavily threaded application, it will split the resources to both cores to have more, weaker cores.

It's normal, You have a glorified tri core.


Even with core parking in registery Keys Disabled?
For information, that parking you are talking about never showed up before, even when core parking was enabled, in my ressource monitor.
It only appeared when my cpu started to have huge performance decreases.

darkspartenwarrior said:


Hi :) 

Cpu`s don't die slowly...

They are alive (working machine) or Dead (machine wont even start)

All the best Brett :) 



Then why is my cpu getting insanely slow? If its supposed to die instantly?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 12:08:11 AM

Arcanastenebrae said:
Even with core parking in registery Keys Disabled?
For information, that parking you are talking about never showed up before, even when core parking was enabled, in my ressource monitor.
It only appeared when my cpu started to have huge performance decreases.



Then why is my cpu getting insanely slow? If its supposed to die instantly?



Hi :) 

You are ASSUMING WRONGLY its your CPU causing the slowness...

There are many things that can cause a machine to go slow, but the LAST thing that causes it is the CPU...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 12:13:54 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

You are ASSUMING WRONGLY its your CPU causing the slowness...

There are many things that can cause a machine to go slow, but the LAST thing that causes it is the CPU...

All the best Brett :) 


As it is right now Brett.

I completly scanned my computer with windows defender (included with windows 8);
I also completly scanned my computer with Malwarebytes antimalware;

I did not find anything at all.

So either it's a new virus my comp doesnt detect (the only effect being cpu being horribly loaded in games).

Do you have Ideas on what I could check (out of what Ive already checked)?

Thanks!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 12:17:57 AM

Arcanastenebrae said:
As it is right now Brett.

I completly scanned my computer with windows defender (included with windows 8);
I also completly scanned my computer with Malwarebytes antimalware;

I did not find anything at all.

So either it's a new virus my comp doesnt detect (the only effect being cpu being horribly loaded in games).

Do you have Ideas on what I could check (out of what Ive already checked)?

Thanks!



Hi :) 

Machine specs would help ?

When a machine comes into one of my shops complaining of slowness , we start by running a hard drive test (HIRENS CD) ... even if the machine is only 1 day old...then virus testing then ram etc etc...

We don't even test cpus...they start the machine they are fine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 12:34:14 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Machine specs would help ?

When a machine comes into one of my shops complaining of slowness , we start by running a hard drive test (HIRENS CD) ... even if the machine is only 1 day old...then virus testing then ram etc etc...

We don't even test cpus...they start the machine they are fine...

All the best Brett :) 


Here is the first lines of DXDIAG: tell me if you need more:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/14/2013, 21:29:45
Machine name: MARTIN_PC
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130108-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7693
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/31/12 12:54:09 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8162MB RAM
Page File: 3491MB used, 5886MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode


And a bit about my monitor and GPU:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1183&SUBSYS_28431462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4034 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1986 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: S211HL (Analog)
Monitor Model: S211HL
Monitor Id: ACR01AA
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI

Thanks!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 12:45:34 AM

Arcanastenebrae said:
Here is the first lines of DXDIAG: tell me if you need more:

SNIP

Thanks!


Hi :) 

Assuming its not an SSD ... HAVE YOU run a hard drive test ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 12:50:17 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Assuming its not an SSD ... HAVE YOU run a hard drive test ?

All the best Brett :) 


My Windows 8 is installed on a 120 GB SSD (currently 32 gb of free space).

I also have a 460gb HDD with aditional data on it (such a too big games, etc) ( 100GB of free space)

I might sound noob, but how do you do a hard drive test?
Is there any test to do on a SSD to detect issues?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 12:54:44 AM

Arcanastenebrae said:
My Windows 8 is installed on a SSD.

I also have a HDD with aditional data on it (such a too big games, etc).

What would u reccomend to do with that?



Hi :) 

Ok...on an SSD you cannot run a normal hd test, so download the SSD Toolbox (from the manufacturer of your SSD) and run its own tools...

Secondly, temporarily disconnect the normal HDD and try it again (SEE IF YOUR SLOWNESS HAS GONE)... or run a HIRENS CD hard drive test (the full long test) on the normal HDD ...NOT on the SSD...

Off to bed now...3 am here ... zzzzzzzzzzzz

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 2:06:49 AM

Used ATTO test to check read write speeds of both my drives.
And theyre close to their original stated values.
So its not the drive itself thats broken.

There seems to have no toolbox for Corsair SSDs. SO I cant do any issues detect test on it.

I tryed to use windows' (when you click on the drive's properties) and it found some error on my SSD which he corrected (restarting my pc, repairing, then restarting again).

It didn't change anything.

ATM I cant do Hirens cd test, because I dont have acess to any cd I could burn it on.
And I didnt find the exact test I needed to check.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 5:27:29 AM

Well well I've finally found what was up.

There was some setting in the bios that told my cpu to only use 1 core at a time only.
Thats why I always saw 4 logical cores 'parked'.
The games I play still completly eat the equivalent of two logical cores, but the charge is spread on all cores (like before probably), and that makes my fps more stable.

I believe the option was Cool-n-Quiet, because since that changed, I dont see core parking anymore.
I still think my cpu isnt running as fast as when I received it, but there isnt much of a difference now.

Ill be able to endure it a bit more than i thought!
Thanks everyone.
m
0
l
February 15, 2013 5:29:39 AM

Best answer selected by Arcanastenebrae.
m
0
l
!