Sign in with
Your question

New gaming setup

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2012 5:32:01 PM

Hi everybody.
I've got a new project, where I want to assemble a new computer, which is going to be used primarily for gaming, video, 3d rendering, game development, music editing and lots of other stuff.

I've been looking over a lot of hardware and a lot of guides and now I've come up with this list:

CPU: Intel Core I7-3770K
MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK Z77 Pro3
RAM: Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB Kit (2x8GB):
GFX: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA
SSD for OS: Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5" OEM
HDD WD Red WD20EFRX 2 TB
Power supply: Cooler Master GX 750W PSU
Screen: BenQ RL2450HT

Please let me now your opinions for this project.

I would love to save some money, because this setup is pretty expansive IMO, but I can't really find anywhere I would like to cut back. This is also one of the reasons for me checking up with you guys, before ordering. And also, of course, to see if you know anything about these components, that does not fit together.

I've been told by numerous friends that the 16 gigs ram is overkill, but I really can't see why not, because it's not even that expansive compared to 8 gigs. Also that an i5 could do the job instead of an i7, and that if I really wanna save money I could go AMD CPU and Radeon GFX, but I'm a bit settled for Intel i7 and also Geforce.

Thank you, in advance!

Best regards
Jesper

More about : gaming setup

October 1, 2012 6:11:31 PM

Hey there Jellezilla,

You have done your research and you have done well. If you were building your PC for solely gaming then I would be alongside your friends saying that 16GB of RAM and the i7 were a tad overkill. However, you say that you are interesting in video, 3d rendering, game development etc. which would all require substantially more CPU power and depending on how much work you do more RAM. Two years ago folks were saying 8GB of RAM was overkill, however it has now become the norm, so having 16GB a year from now with this build, will keep you happy in my opinion. I mean you could get two sticks of 4GB right now and upgrade by adding two more 4GB sticks later, but you would be better off with two 8Gb sticks.

I would say go for this build it looks great, and plus I have the exact same monitor and it has worked really well.

a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2012 6:25:32 PM

The build looks really really strong and will do well for what you are doing.

Also, if you are getting the 3770K, get an aftermarket cooler.

If you don't plan to overclock really, just get the 3770 regular and save yourself some money. Then you would be able to choose a cheaper motherboard as well.
!