Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Zalman ZM-500 any good? Help me with PSU this is hard

Last response: in Components
February 14, 2013 8:27:02 AM

I won't be drawing much power and might replace this PSU in the future. My goal is to get something cheap but that won't destroy my PC. My other main choice was the corsair vx450 but I can't find where I live, online stores taken into account.

Other choices I have, from more to least expensive: Seasonic 520 s12ll, Seasonic 430 s12ll, corsair cx500.

Really, I'll probably be running all of this with a 7750 so power's not much of an issue for me, at all, but where I live I can't find anything that draws little power and isn't a big pile of crap. I just want something reliable. My current GPU died, I figure the crap POS PSU I have is the culprit. My plan was to hold on to the GTS 250 (RIP) till next year, maybe more, replace a bunch of components for a next gen gaming rig. Now that's not really an option.

So I can either: get a GOOD but weak and inexpensive PSU/GPU
OR
stick to the good weak inexpensive thing with the GPU (7750) but go for a more powerful PSU that maybe will handle whatever GPU/CPU I get in the future, hoping that by then the top of the line stuff from this year will have less power hungry versions.

Because really, I don't want to build a killer machine, just something that's modestly more powerful than next-gen consoles. So yeah, I need some advice, shopping for PSU is friggin hard.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2013 10:29:06 AM

It seems that there a few different versions of the ZM-500, there should be another couple of letters at the end. Either way, it's an average unit at best, here's one example: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-ZM500-RS-...

The VX450 is a very high quality unit, however has been discontinued for sometime now. The other units you've listed are all good options.

Personally, I would go with a quality PSU and upgrade to a better GPU later. A good PSU is a good investment and will last you many years and multiple builds. If you choose to go with an average PSU and GPU, you'll be wanting to replace them both again in a couple of years.

If you want some futher suggestions, post a link to the website you want to buy from.
February 24, 2013 8:39:12 PM

Best answer selected by Vicaris.
m
l
!