Cables and cable sleeving question!

krieegs

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hey guys!
Just a quick question about cable sleeving.
I have noticed that on PCIE and other cables there are a multitude of both black and yellow individual cables.

For example, the top right black cable, sometimes will go into a different hole on the opposing socket - does it matter if you swap it to a different one as long as it's the same color cable?

So for example if both the top right and bottom right cables are black, but they swap positions in the transition to the opposite connector - is it possible to swap them back? will it ruin the cable or stop it operating properly?

Might sound like a stupid question but I don't want to fry my components.

krieegs

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I'm not trying to achieve anything perse - I just assumed that all the black cables could be arranged in any order so long as they don't get swapped with the yellow ones... Was I wrong to assume that?

phate1337

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
for the most part, they tend to carry the same voltages, but I have seen some in my time that aren't right (i.e. black+yellow 6/8 pin PCI-E power cable has only two colours, yet carries positive, negative, and ground connections)

charlesDean

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
We’ve seen more than our share of motherboards sporting the Z77 chipset, but today we have a pair of Z77 boards--one each from ASRock and MSI--that are designed specifically for overclocking. Even better, both of these mainboards are actually mid-range offerings, meaning you can enjoy the overclocking features without paying for the highest-end options from the two companies. What better way to put them through the paces than by setting up a good old-fashioned mainboard shootout?

phate1337

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

what the ~@!~!@~?### random...