Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Planetside 2 question. GTX 660 ti or radeon 7870?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 1, 2012 8:15:59 PM

Hello everyone!

Now this is in no way a general question, but I was wondering (if any of you play planetside 2) better with a radeon 7870 ghz or a gtx 660 ti

CPU:Intel i5 2500k @3.3 Ghz
GPU: To be decided
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550-M 550W ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
Case: Corsair 500r White
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus

My budget it 250-300 USD. Does ps2 support nvidia better than amd? Should I lower my case specs and instead buy a 670 or hd 7950? All suggestions (except trolls) are great.
October 1, 2012 8:58:27 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you should lower a ton of things

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j4HG

now you can probably afford a msi power edition gtx670


Thanks, but personally I've had trouble with SB and will stick with my samsung drive. The case isn't bad, but I'd rather buy the haf 912 for better cable management and airflow. I am not going with the 3570k, i prefer sandy bridge for the better overclocks and temps. I'd rather stick with my psu, but your suggestion is good. Thanks for the reply, I'll take the case into consideration but will stick with everything else.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 1, 2012 9:02:51 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you should lower a ton of things

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j4HG

now you can probably afford a msi power edition gtx670

oh, and your mem and mobo are not compatible, so lol
m
0
l
October 1, 2012 9:05:30 PM

seagate makes samsung drives so there is literally no difference.

the 302 has better cabling than the 912. has 1.5inches (something around that) of space in the back so i dont see your point. also, the 912 isnt that much better in terms of airflow. they are both all mesh

i would say that ivy bridge overclocks well. i have my i7 3770k nice and cool at 4.5ghz, 1.15v with 60c at max with a 20c ambient. using a noctua d14.

in the end even if you overclock higher than a i5 3570k, you are going to get the same performance. a 4.5ghz ivy performs the same as a 4.7-4.8ghz sandy. and you wont even reach that with a hyper 212/ the standard range you can get with a 212 is around 4.2-4.5ghz. at that point, the ivy runs faster and cooler

ivy does not get hot unless you use a lot of volts.
m
0
l
October 1, 2012 9:06:24 PM

DanteIsOnFire said:
oh, and your mem and mobo are not compatible, so lol


i dont see why not. asus doesnt rate every single ram stick out in the market. you have to realize that
m
0
l
October 1, 2012 9:17:08 PM

they are completely different memory sets. the G2s are rather old not to mention the G2s generally ran at 1.65v which isnt reallly allowed on intel rigs
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 2:44:10 PM

I'm building a PC specificity for planetside 2 as well right now and have bought all the parts.
The z77 Extreme4 is an awesome motherboard, so you made a good choice there.


I will answer your GPU question but now i would like to point out something.
(1) Planetside is extremely CPU bound, so i5 2500k @3.3 isnt going to cut it. I know people with i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz still being CPU bounded in a large fire fight. This being said, PS2 is not really optimized right now, but judging by current trend, I would suggest you getting a i5-3570K/i7-3770K
(2) CPU heatsink, evo 212 is a good cooler but with the price, you can get a Zalman 140mm (part #: CNPS14X) which offers a great performance boost so OCing to 4.5 is not problem.
(3) Power supply: I would stay away from Rosewill power supply as they are not as reliable as say Corsair, Antec etc. Also I would switch to a 750W just in case I want to do an SLI 1 year later. Now you may argue screw SLI I will just get a GTX 760ti later or something. But GTX 660ti SLI offers a 90% boost, meaning later on, your price/performance ratio will rocket the next year if you choose to do SLI.

Now the GPU. From my personal experience I would STAY AWAY from AMD cards as much as possible. Shitty drivers. Also PS2 supports PhyX, which is NVIDIA only. So no doubt GTX 660ti. You absolutely DO NOT NEED a GTX 670, sure it gives a great performance, but remember, even at 1080p max setting, PS2 is currently using 50% of the 660Ti GPU, so 670 for PS2 is an overkill.

Hope this helps.

Just a reference, my personal build:

i5 3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
Zalman 140mm CPU Heatsink
Corsair TX 750W
Asrock z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston RAM
GTX 660Ti OC 1110MHz Boost
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 2:44:13 PM

I'm building a PC specificity for planetside 2 as well right now and have bought all the parts.
The z77 Extreme4 is an awesome motherboard, so you made a good choice there.


I will answer your GPU question but now i would like to point out something.
(1) Planetside is extremely CPU bound, so i5 2500k @3.3 isnt going to cut it. I know people with i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz still being CPU bounded in a large fire fight. This being said, PS2 is not really optimized right now, but judging by current trend, I would suggest you getting a i5-3570K/i7-3770K
(2) CPU heatsink, evo 212 is a good cooler but with the price, you can get a Zalman 140mm (part #: CNPS14X) which offers a great performance boost so OCing to 4.5 is not problem.
(3) Power supply: I would stay away from Rosewill power supply as they are not as reliable as say Corsair, Antec etc. Also I would switch to a 750W just in case I want to do an SLI 1 year later. Now you may argue screw SLI I will just get a GTX 760ti later or something. But GTX 660ti SLI offers a 90% boost, meaning later on, your price/performance ratio will rocket the next year if you choose to do SLI.

Now the GPU. From my personal experience I would STAY AWAY from AMD cards as much as possible. Shitty drivers. Also PS2 supports PhyX, which is NVIDIA only. So no doubt GTX 660ti. You absolutely DO NOT NEED a GTX 670, sure it gives a great performance, but remember, even at 1080p max setting, PS2 is currently using 50% of the 660Ti GPU, so 670 for PS2 is an overkill.

Hope this helps.

Just a reference, my personal build:

i5 3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
Zalman 140mm CPU Heatsink
Corsair TX 750W
Asrock z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston RAM
GTX 660Ti OC 1110MHz Boost
m
0
l
November 30, 2012 2:44:27 PM

I'm building a PC specificity for planetside 2 as well right now and have bought all the parts.
The z77 Extreme4 is an awesome motherboard, so you made a good choice there.


I will answer your GPU question but now i would like to point out something.
(1) Planetside is extremely CPU bound, so i5 2500k @3.3 isnt going to cut it. I know people with i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz still being CPU bounded in a large fire fight. This being said, PS2 is not really optimized right now, but judging by current trend, I would suggest you getting a i5-3570K/i7-3770K
(2) CPU heatsink, evo 212 is a good cooler but with the price, you can get a Zalman 140mm (part #: CNPS14X) which offers a great performance boost so OCing to 4.5 is not problem.
(3) Power supply: I would stay away from Rosewill power supply as they are not as reliable as say Corsair, Antec etc. Also I would switch to a 750W just in case I want to do an SLI 1 year later. Now you may argue screw SLI I will just get a GTX 760ti later or something. But GTX 660ti SLI offers a 90% boost, meaning later on, your price/performance ratio will rocket the next year if you choose to do SLI.

Now the GPU. From my personal experience I would STAY AWAY from AMD cards as much as possible. Shitty drivers. Also PS2 supports PhyX, which is NVIDIA only. So no doubt GTX 660ti. You absolutely DO NOT NEED a GTX 670, sure it gives a great performance, but remember, even at 1080p max setting, PS2 is currently using 50% of the 660Ti GPU, so 670 for PS2 is an overkill.

Hope this helps.

Just a reference, my personal build:

i5 3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
Zalman 140mm CPU Heatsink
Corsair TX 750W
Asrock z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston RAM
GTX 660Ti OC 1110MHz Boost
m
0
l
March 26, 2013 11:04:36 AM

XxMcFlyxX said:
I'm building a PC specificity for planetside 2 as well right now and have bought all the parts.
The z77 Extreme4 is an awesome motherboard, so you made a good choice there.


I will answer your GPU question but now i would like to point out something.
(1) Planetside is extremely CPU bound, so i5 2500k @3.3 isnt going to cut it. I know people with i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz still being CPU bounded in a large fire fight. This being said, PS2 is not really optimized right now, but judging by current trend, I would suggest you getting a i5-3570K/i7-3770K
(2) CPU heatsink, evo 212 is a good cooler but with the price, you can get a Zalman 140mm (part #: CNPS14X) which offers a great performance boost so OCing to 4.5 is not problem.
(3) Power supply: I would stay away from Rosewill power supply as they are not as reliable as say Corsair, Antec etc. Also I would switch to a 750W just in case I want to do an SLI 1 year later. Now you may argue screw SLI I will just get a GTX 760ti later or something. But GTX 660ti SLI offers a 90% boost, meaning later on, your price/performance ratio will rocket the next year if you choose to do SLI.

Now the GPU. From my personal experience I would STAY AWAY from AMD cards as much as possible. Shitty drivers. Also PS2 supports PhyX, which is NVIDIA only. So no doubt GTX 660ti. You absolutely DO NOT NEED a GTX 670, sure it gives a great performance, but remember, even at 1080p max setting, PS2 is currently using 50% of the 660Ti GPU, so 670 for PS2 is an overkill.

Hope this helps.

Just a reference, my personal build:

i5 3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
Zalman 140mm CPU Heatsink
Corsair TX 750W
Asrock z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston RAM
GTX 660Ti OC 1110MHz Boost



hi im also building a comp for ps2 i got the 660 , and the i5 3570k , you mentioned that the i5 will struggle for that game... really!? :(  i read all kinds of good stuff about that processor and that i wouldnt need the i7 for gaming that i would only need the i7 to run multiple apps
m
0
l
March 27, 2013 3:29:35 PM

Dean Arrow said:
XxMcFlyxX said:
I'm building a PC specificity for planetside 2 as well right now and have bought all the parts.
The z77 Extreme4 is an awesome motherboard, so you made a good choice there.


I will answer your GPU question but now i would like to point out something.
(1) Planetside is extremely CPU bound, so i5 2500k @3.3 isnt going to cut it. I know people with i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz still being CPU bounded in a large fire fight. This being said, PS2 is not really optimized right now, but judging by current trend, I would suggest you getting a i5-3570K/i7-3770K
(2) CPU heatsink, evo 212 is a good cooler but with the price, you can get a Zalman 140mm (part #: CNPS14X) which offers a great performance boost so OCing to 4.5 is not problem.
(3) Power supply: I would stay away from Rosewill power supply as they are not as reliable as say Corsair, Antec etc. Also I would switch to a 750W just in case I want to do an SLI 1 year later. Now you may argue screw SLI I will just get a GTX 760ti later or something. But GTX 660ti SLI offers a 90% boost, meaning later on, your price/performance ratio will rocket the next year if you choose to do SLI.

Now the GPU. From my personal experience I would STAY AWAY from AMD cards as much as possible. Shitty drivers. Also PS2 supports PhyX, which is NVIDIA only. So no doubt GTX 660ti. You absolutely DO NOT NEED a GTX 670, sure it gives a great performance, but remember, even at 1080p max setting, PS2 is currently using 50% of the 660Ti GPU, so 670 for PS2 is an overkill.

Hope this helps.

Just a reference, my personal build:

i5 3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
Zalman 140mm CPU Heatsink
Corsair TX 750W
Asrock z77 Extreme4
8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston RAM
GTX 660Ti OC 1110MHz Boost



hi im also building a comp for ps2 i got the 660 , and the i5 3570k , you mentioned that the i5 will struggle for that game... really!? :(  i read all kinds of good stuff about that processor and that i wouldnt need the i7 for gaming that i would only need the i7 to run multiple apps

That's alot of bull. Even the fx bulldozers and vishera series run the game fine. The i5 should be perfect. Oh, and thanks for digging up this thread, lol :bounce: 
m
0
l
!