Corrupt File System Folder Customizations

Specialized task links for many file system folders are incorrect and
attributes intermittently change. Not only pertains to "My Documents, My
Music, My Pictures, and My Videos" system folders, but also hard disk drives
and some Control Panel folders (primarily Administrative Tools). Most common
occurrences are incorrect music- or picture-related folder attributes and
inconsistent attributes for "My Documents" and other "My ..." file system
folders. Seems I have either deleted and/or modified various Desktop.ini
files. Trying to find way to restore default attributes without reinstalling
Windows. Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about corrupt file system folder customizations

    Open Folder Options, View tab. Click Reset All Folders.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Scot" <swonders@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Specialized task links for many file system folders are incorrect and
    > attributes intermittently change. Not only pertains to "My Documents, My
    > Music, My Pictures, and My Videos" system folders, but also hard disk
    > drives and some Control Panel folders (primarily Administrative Tools).
    > Most common occurrences are incorrect music- or picture-related folder
    > attributes and inconsistent attributes for "My Documents" and other "My
    > ..." file system folders. Seems I have either deleted and/or modified
    > various Desktop.ini files. Trying to find way to restore default
    > attributes without reinstalling Windows. Thanks!

    I have tried this alternative many times, but it did not solve the problem.
    Incorrect specialized tasks remain assigned to several file system folders
    (eg. music tasks shown when I open My Documents, the partitioned drive for
    System Recovery, and my external hard drive).

    > Open Folder Options, View tab. Click Reset All Folders.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Scot" <swonders@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Specialized task links for many file system folders are incorrect and
    >> attributes intermittently change. Not only pertains to "My Documents, My
    >> Music, My Pictures, and My Videos" system folders, but also hard disk
    >> drives and some Control Panel folders (primarily Administrative Tools).
    >> Most common occurrences are incorrect music- or picture-related folder
    >> attributes and inconsistent attributes for "My Documents" and other "My
    >> ..." file system folders. Seems I have either deleted and/or modified
    >> various Desktop.ini files. Trying to find way to restore default
    >> attributes without reinstalling Windows. Thanks!

    Try one of these two methods:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

    --

    >I have tried this alternative many times, but it did not solve the problem.
    > Incorrect specialized tasks remain assigned to several file system folders
    > (eg. music tasks shown when I open My Documents, the partitioned drive for
    > System Recovery, and my external hard drive).
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Open Folder Options, View tab. Click Reset All Folders.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Scot" <swonders@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> Specialized task links for many file system folders are incorrect and
    >>> attributes intermittently change. Not only pertains to "My Documents, My
    >>> Music, My Pictures, and My Videos" system folders, but also hard disk
    >>> drives and some Control Panel folders (primarily Administrative Tools).
    >>> Most common occurrences are incorrect music- or picture-related folder
    >>> attributes and inconsistent attributes for "My Documents" and other "My
    >>> ..." file system folders. Seems I have either deleted and/or modified
    >>> various Desktop.ini files. Trying to find way to restore default
    >>> attributes without reinstalling Windows. Thanks!

    Thank you very much. Problem solved.
    > Try one of these two methods:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Scot" <swonders@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have tried this alternative many times, but it did not solve the
    >>problem.
    >> Incorrect specialized tasks remain assigned to several file system
    >> folders
    >> (eg. music tasks shown when I open My Documents, the partitioned drive
    >> for System Recovery, and my external hard drive).
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Open Folder Options, View tab. Click Reset All Folders.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "Scot" <swonders@comcast.net> wrote in message

    You're welcome Scot.
    --

    > Thank you very much. Problem solved.
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Try one of these two methods:
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_common_tasks.htm

Configuration File System My Documents Windows XP