Windows 8 high CPU temperature

mhilmhilmhil

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I just upgraded to Windows 8 today and I noticed that my idle temps are stunningly high compared to when I was using Windows 7. I already upgraded all the drivers (chipset, video card, sound card, etc.) but still getting the same temps.

My W7 idle temps are at an average of 35-40 C while I get 50+ C on W8 when idle. I played a game of LoL to see if it would shut down due to overheating but it didn't. But when I checked the temps, it was nearing 100C compared to when I was using W7 which is only at 60-70C.

j5uuxe.png

Solution
Hi,

There is nothing physically wrong with your system. I upgraded to win 8 on the release date and I have had high idle temps since then. In Win 7 idle I'd get 27* from my CPU and 30* from my GPU now in Win 8 my CPU idles at 44* and my GPU at 52*

System:
AMD 965BE Corsair H60
ASUS M4A87TD-EVO* Changed to Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
4 x 2GB Gskillz RipJaw 12800
MSI Twin Frozr iii 7950
OCZ 600W PSU
CM Storm Trooper.

At first after speaking with friends and checking the forums I thought that the problem was a driver/BIOS issue as ASUS wasn't making Win 8 drivers/Bios for my mobo. So I found a board which had Win 8 drivers/BIOS no change in temps though.

I cannot find a fix for this.

Gav

crazypotato

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Are you using a stock intel heatsink? And what cpu are you using? I recommend you go download a program like speedfan to optimize your fan settings as i think windows 8 fucked the fan settings up. If still having high temps, go to task manager to see if you really are not getting high cpu usage and reseat your cooler

mhilmhilmhil

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
It's an Intel i5 760s LGA1156
I have speedfan. The fan is rated at 3226 RPM. Though I don't know what it was when I was using Windows 8. I also have turned the power management (the fan-ish) from passive to active and I noticed it dropped a little degrees but not that significant.
How do I configure my fan speed? Thanks for the quick reply.

mhilmhilmhil

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

It's an Intel i5 760s LGA1156
I have speedfan. The fan is rated at 3226 RPM. Though I don't know what it was when I was using Windows 8. I also have turned the power management (the fan-ish) from passive to active and I noticed it dropped a little degrees but not that significant.
How do I configure my fan speed? Thanks for the quick reply.

mhilmhilmhil

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I've had that same problem before, trust me when I say that nothing is wrong with the heatsink alignment and pins. It's tight. Besides, if you will read my first post, it's stated that I just had it upgraded to Windows 8 today, meaning, I haven't had the temp problem when I was still using W7 today.

GavinHolder

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

There is nothing physically wrong with your system. I upgraded to win 8 on the release date and I have had high idle temps since then. In Win 7 idle I'd get 27* from my CPU and 30* from my GPU now in Win 8 my CPU idles at 44* and my GPU at 52*

System:
AMD 965BE Corsair H60
ASUS M4A87TD-EVO* Changed to Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
4 x 2GB Gskillz RipJaw 12800
MSI Twin Frozr iii 7950
OCZ 600W PSU
CM Storm Trooper.

At first after speaking with friends and checking the forums I thought that the problem was a driver/BIOS issue as ASUS wasn't making Win 8 drivers/Bios for my mobo. So I found a board which had Win 8 drivers/BIOS no change in temps though.

I cannot find a fix for this.

Gav

Solution

HoboCannibaL

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
if it worked fine with windows 7 and doesn't with 8, that just seems like a reason not to use windows 8

go back to 7 and see if the problem persists, if it does, i BET its your pushpins or thermal compound

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Wow, this sounds like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

First thing. Normally fan speeds are controlled by your BIOS not your OS. Perhaps the windows 8 temp reading are different just like with different versions of CPU temp programs. I highly doubt windows 8 caused your CPU to run at higher temps, it defies logic. So don't worry about it, I'm sure you are running at the same temps as windows 7.

modern bios the fan control is a windows service, starts a boot if you've installed the software.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I have no idea what you just said. Are you saying the OS controls the fan speed? If so that is wrong. The Bios controls fan speeds, programs like speed fan communicate with your bios in order to control fan speed manually from windows. You need to have a compatible motherboard to use speed fan. if it was a windows service the MOBO wouldn't make a difference, see how that works?

Another way to test this theory is to remove your hard drive. When you do you will notice your fans still operate even with no OS onboard. You can access your system BIOS and change the fan speeds there, or with some motherboards you can use fan control BIOS software like cool and quiet from ASUS.

well i have fan profiles from my asus software that starts up when windows does, and overrides the bios settings. When I stop the service iasusfanprofile then the bios takes over.

see how that works.

learn something before spouting off.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

:non:
You just proved me right and your original statement wrong. What I said was programs like speed fan and ASUS cool and quiet, over ride the bios settings to control the fan speeds. But windows does not control your fan speeds, it is inherently a bios controlled system.

No need to get your panties in a twist, it's ok to be wrong sometimes.

mhilmhilmhil

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Thanks for the inputs guys. I think it's how the temps are read. :/ It seems like Windows 8 messed it up or something. Usually I get slow performance when my temps get as high as 80+ C because of CPU throttling down but I am not experiencing it with my system even though it says the temps are nearing boiling point (99C). I hope they fix it. I still haven't tried to flash my BIOS because I am scared of getting it bricked. I bricked a mobo 5 years ago trying to update my old PC's BIOS. Besides, I think it won't do any good since MSI hasn't released any recent BIOS update yet for W8. Their last update for my system was dated in the early 2012, I think. My mobo is an MSI H55M-E32. Any thoughts?

if a windows program is overriding the bios settings then windows is in control, that's what 'overrides' means. yes there is an inherent control from the bios that will work as a backup, but this program starts with windows does not need a reboot to hold the settings, does not even talk to the bios. the hardware is on the mobo, obviously, but the software on window does the control, it tells the bios to change the bios, that's called control, clear? or is that too complex for you?

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Apparently this subject is far too complex for you 13thmonkey.

The question pertained to whether windows 8 caused his system to run hot. Since windows does not control fan speeds it is safe to say that windows did not cause his system to run hotter. Now if he had installed a fan control program then we could blame software for his heat issues. But he didn't, this really isn't hard to understand. All motherboards have on board fan controllers that regulate the speed of the fans available unless the fan is directly connected to the power supply, in which case you have no control.

If a windows program overrides the bios settings that is not the same as windows over ridding the settings. You have to have compatible software that works with your motherboards bios in order to control fan settings. Windows does not and I will repeat this, WINDOWS DOES NOT CONTROL YOUR FAN SPEEDS. That is where you are wrong.

Some people just love to argue I guess.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Prove it. Show me evidence to support your claim that windows controls fan speeds. I would love to see it. Your just acting like a baby and saying i'm wrong while posting evidence that proves me right.