Sign in with
Your question

Bad Motherboard or Insufficient PSU?

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2012 9:17:47 PM

Hey, I had been wanting to build a gaming rig for awhile now, and finally decided to do it after i saw this past quarters "budget gaming PC" : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclock....

I bought the exact same components, except i upgraded to Corsair Vengeance 2x4 gigs, and I changed the case, which is just an aesthetic thing. This case also has 3 fans instead of one, so that was nice.

However, I get it today, and begin putting it all together, and right when I think it's all good to go, i turn it on and connect to my monitor, and I get to no video (this might have been because I didn't have the 2 PCI express ports plugged in on the graphics card). But I power it down, and begin to see what's wrong, and the next time I turn it on, I can't get it to stop going in a constant reboot cycle. About every 5 secs it turns on and off.

I have some techie friends, and they were thinking it was probably an insufficient power supply. I looked at the motherboard's instruction manual online and it said it needed 500W, yet this one was 450W. The thing is, I trusted the guys at Tom's Hardware, and bought the same rig, so didn't know why the power supply would be wrong?

My buddy's other guess was that the mobo could be DoA. I'm trying to pick up a new PSU tonight to check and see if that resolves the problem. But anybody know what else it could be? I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in correctly. It doesn't "beep" but IDK if all computer beep automatically upon boot anyway. Quite frustrating. I've spent at least 5 hours trying to assemble and run this. Haven't even gotten into the joy of installing the OS and drivers and what have you...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'll post back when I've tried a better PSU. Hope to god I don't have to send this mobo back...
October 1, 2012 9:20:14 PM

the psu at 450w is fine. its most likely the board
October 1, 2012 9:35:02 PM

I can't see what the build is from the website, and I forgot what Tom's budget build was.
Related resources
October 1, 2012 9:40:01 PM

Deemo13 said:
I can't see what the build is from the website, and I forgot what Tom's budget build was.

CPU Intel Pentium G860 (Sandy Bridge), 3 GHz, Dual-Core, 65 W
$90
CPU Cooler Intel Boxed Heat Sink And Fan 0
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V, Intel B75 Express, LGA 1155
$70
RAM G.Skill NS 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1333 F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS Memory Kit
$24
Graphics MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 $170
Hard Drive Western Digital WD5000AAKX 500 GB SATA 6Gb/s $65
Case Rosewill R218-P-BK ATX Mid-Tower $30
Power Antec VP-450 450 W $38
Optical Samsung 22x DVD Burner Model SH-222BB/BEBE-OEM $14

Total Price $501
October 1, 2012 9:44:19 PM

Yea that VP should be plenty to power that computer. It might be a DOA motherboard. Sometimes that just happens.
October 1, 2012 9:52:26 PM

so im thinking about dropping by best buy to grab another motherboard and swap it out befor it closes. You think this will suffice ? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GIGABYTE+-+ATX+Motherboard+...(Socket+1155)/5429742.p?id=1218650492371&skuId=5429742

I'm not great at making sure everything is compatible, that's why I relied more on tomshardware to have a good build.
October 1, 2012 10:00:10 PM

They don't have it in the store.
October 2, 2012 1:32:05 AM

All motherboards beep when they boot up. It's part of the boot process. No Beep. bad mobo
October 2, 2012 8:02:34 AM

Probably a DoA mobo like everyone else said.
Go to Frys if you have one if you want to get one asap.
Other than that, I guess you'll have to wait for a refund or replacement.
!