Sandybridge cpu upgrade advice

Hi guys
heres the deal... i have a limited budget of £90 and im looking at upgrading my pentium G620 ... now i know a core i5 would be the obvious choice,and a core i3 would also be ok.. however from what ive discovered there wouldnt be a massive increase in performance moving from the G620 to a core i3...
however i keep on looking at the "Intel Pentium G2120 "( http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/processors/intelceleronandpentiumdualcore/bx80637g2120.html ) which at £59 has a 500mhz increase on the clock speed (compared to my G620 ) and also has the newer "ivybridge" architecture
i understand there wont be a mindblowing improvement ... however there must be some improvement giving the 0.5ghz increase in clock speed ....
ive also stumbled across a core i3 2100 for just over £70 and im very tempted... it will finally bring me into the "core i" range of processors and will also give me hyper threading
however will i see a worthwhile improvement .... im not expecting miracles,but will my system feel quicker .... my current system specs are as follows
pentium G620
8gb ddr3 XMS3 corsair (1333mhz) ram ( 2 x 4gb )
gigabyte ga-h61ma-d2v mobo
ASUS GTX550ti (1gb )
128gb ocz octane ssd ( windows boot drive )
1 x 500gb sata HDD
500w ocz stealthstream psu
samsung writemaster dvdrw
ive checked the gigabyte website and my motherboard requires a bios F4 or better and since i flashed the mobo to F4 when i bought the G620 it should work without any problems ...
so shall i take the plunge and get the :
1)pentium G2120 or
2)core i3 2100
any advice will be much appreciated
cheers guys !
4 answers Last reply
More about sandybridge upgrade advice
  1. First thing, what do you the PC for? Are you after it just feeling snappier?
  2. Although this is gaming based, this puts the i3 3 tiers above the Pentium...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
  3. I don't think either of those processors is a worthwhile upgrade from a Sandy Bridge Pentium. Get an i5 or wait for Haswell IMO.
  4. thanks guys .. i run some games ( nothing serious ) and also do some game development ( hammer editor ) ... however any information on the haswell..( eg range,prices ect )
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs