Sign in with
Your question

New I5 build

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2012 9:43:46 PM

Hi forum.

I know reading these new build posts are tedious but I thought lets post anyway for those that would like a look.

The components I ahve chosen after many hours spent reading.

Palit GeForce GTX 660TI 2GB Jetstream R3599
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard R1950
Intel Boxed Core i5 3570K - 3.40GHz Quad Core - Socket 1155 CPU R2411
Corsair TX 650W V2 PSU R1185
Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3-1866 Kit R1123
OCZ Agility 4 256GB MLC SATA SSD R2079
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Chassis - Black/White (No-PSU, ATX) R1185
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 6Gb/s (64MB) R1148
Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler with Fan R836

Total : R15516

My budget is 15000 South African Rand. I will mostly be using this PC for gaming(1080p 32" LED monitor) and non-intense work(office, web design).

First of all as to my choices in hardware, I would like a PC that is not too loud. I leave it on constantly and the noise drives me crazy, however when under load and use it does not bother me as much. I will also be doing some moderate to intense overclocking for the fun of it.

The RAM is something that I struggle to decide on as availability of certain manufacturers like mushkin and G.skill(i would like a G.skill kit) is very limited. The site I use mostly is Titan-ice.co.za.

One of my main concerns is clearance for the Thermalright CPU cooler with the Dominator RAM. I would prefer low profile very high quality RAM at that same price(16GB would be nice too if I had to offer up some performance, i did find a Vengeance 16GB low profile kit but I have not had good experience with vengeance RAM at all, and besides those chips look AWESOME!!! ) but can not seem to find any.

Unfortunately as I am already over my budget I can not spend any more unless I strike it lucky somewhere(vertex 4 at good price for example).

There will also be a Gaming and hardware expo this coming weekend (5 to 7 Sept) that usually has amazing specials on newer hardware like the GTX660ti.

Any help or input would be appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!

Novuake

More about : build

October 2, 2012 7:26:01 AM

I have revised the graphics card to he following :

Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB OC Edition R3494

I like Anti-Aliasing and the 192-bit interface on the GTX660ti is limiting. Sapphire is also a better manufacturer than Palit in my opinion.

Revised Total : R15371
October 2, 2012 8:00:33 AM

Can you convert that into USD or Euros?
Mine is a $1050 budget gaming desktop that I think is similar to yours.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j27E

I personally prefer XFX 7870 2GB because it has lifetime warranty. $240 for dual fan.
Related resources
October 2, 2012 8:28:30 AM

I personally have 0 experience working with south african rand as a currency, so I can offer you zero advice as to finding cheaper components. However, on a relative basis it looks like you might be overpaying for the case, power supply, and motherboard in relation to the cpu price. You should at least look into finding a cheaper motherboard, they usually cost about half the cpu price, not almost as much.
The three air-based cpu coolers I recommend are the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, the Xigmatek Dark Knight II, and the noctua nh-d14 in the order of price. If you want something cheap that works a lot better than the stock cooler, the 212 Evo works. The Dark Knight II and nh-d14 provide even better cooling performance at increasingly higher costs.
October 2, 2012 9:51:52 AM

Novuake said:
I have revised the graphics card to he following :

Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB OC Edition R3494

I like Anti-Aliasing and the 192-bit interface on the GTX660ti is limiting. Sapphire is also a better manufacturer than Palit in my opinion.

Revised Total : R15371

The 7870 is a significant downgrade from the 660Ti in terms of performance and given the small price savings it's not a smart move IMO.
October 2, 2012 1:15:23 PM

kevin83 said:
I personally have 0 experience working with south african rand as a currency, so I can offer you zero advice as to finding cheaper components. However, on a relative basis it looks like you might be overpaying for the case, power supply, and motherboard in relation to the cpu price. You should at least look into finding a cheaper motherboard, they usually cost about half the cpu price, not almost as much.
The three air-based cpu coolers I recommend are the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, the Xigmatek Dark Knight II, and the noctua nh-d14 in the order of price. If you want something cheap that works a lot better than the stock cooler, the 212 Evo works. The Dark Knight II and nh-d14 provide even better cooling performance at increasingly higher costs.

Yes I do like the Noctua coolers but can not find them here. Nor can i find Xigmatic. CM Evo i have had before and had to RMA it twice.

The board I chose is actually not horribly price here. Atleast I think so. Let me give you the cheapest Z77 Asus alternative I could find.
Asus P8Z77-M Motherboard - R1662

A common but shitty (IMO) CM :
Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 600W - R678

I am very sure about the chassis, last place I want to be cutting.
October 2, 2012 1:23:03 PM

Chiuy said:

I personally prefer XFX 7870 2GB because it has lifetime warranty. $240 for dual fan.

Unfortunately it is not just as simple as conversion to USD but it will give it an idea. SA has a massive import tax on electronics. Used to be no improt tax on PC hardware at all till about 7 years ago. What a shame...

1849.23 US Dollar

http://www.gocurrency.com/

I will take a look at the XFX.
Do you know if it is not too loud?
Is it factory OC'd? (not that that bothers me much but it usually means they use better caps in production)
Can I get a link or exact model number?
October 2, 2012 1:31:15 PM

lighter17 said:
The 7870 is a significant downgrade from the 660Ti in terms of performance and given the small price savings it's not a smart move IMO.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-...

According to toms they trade blows mostly. Anandtech says 10% better, but I can easily increase performance by overclocking past the GTX660ti, which can barely overclock.
October 2, 2012 1:46:23 PM

Chiuy said:

I have looked at the XFX, its more quiet than the Sapphire by 1.2 DBs, but it runs 14 Degrees Celsius hotter under load, I can get it at at about R150 more than the Sapphire. I will have to think about it.
October 2, 2012 2:59:56 PM

lighter17 said:

The 7870 is the 660 Ti's main competition. They are actually on par where the 7870 actually wins on some. The only game where the 660 Ti has an edge is BF3, and if you want to count Total War too, then okay.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=647

And this is only the regular 7870, not the GHz edition. Calling it a "significant downgrade" is unjustifiable.
October 2, 2012 4:39:59 PM

They trade blows, and the 7870 is usually a lot cheaper. Other review sites give a higher lead to the 660 ti because they don't emphasize Anti Aliasing as much. Also the idea that you should buy a 7870 because it can overclock and the 660 ti can't is bogus. You should compare specific cards, not reference boards to non-reference. In the real world this isn't possible, so you should just be comparing reference boards. Both the 7870 ghz and the 660 ti overclock decently and similarly from the reference specification. The only difference is that the 660 ti requires more aggressive memory overclocking to increase performance.
October 2, 2012 5:50:35 PM

^Not sure if you're pointing at someone or just speaking in general, but regarding the OC business, I think the point there is that the 7870 has a wider overclocking potential since Nvidia has decided to prematurely lock voltages on Kepler cards.
October 2, 2012 8:18:24 PM

Well after 2 minutes of research you are correct, but MSI's boards currently on the market have workarounds that Nvidia apparently is not happy with.
The 660 ti is a 670 with a 192 bit memory bus. Any overclocking done to the memory translates almost directly to performance gains up to a certain level, and other review sites have been able to overclock the memory on a 660 ti from 1500 mhz up to 1900. I believe this could be why the voltage lock hasn't shown to be a detriment to the card's ability to overclock consistently.
October 2, 2012 10:48:07 PM

excella1221 said:
^Not sure if you're pointing at someone or just speaking in general, but regarding the OC business, I think the point there is that the 7870 has a wider overclocking potential since Nvidia has decided to prematurely lock voltages on Kepler cards.

Yes this is what I meant, the AMD cards have more potential at this time. This may change with firmware updates but for now atleast the HD7870 is a equal leaning towards the better and cheaper option.

DO you agree?
October 3, 2012 8:08:16 AM

kevin83 said:
At $50 less than the 660 ti Power Edition and trading blows in games, I'd much rather have this 7870 ghz edition.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I don't have any idea what that would be in rand.

Was looking at the Ghz Edition but htey are not available here yet, hope they will be by next week. Can not wait longer than that! Starting to get withdrawel since my motherboard went awall last week. LOL
!