Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Motherboard : ASRock m3A770DE
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955e @ 3.2 Ghz
RAM : 8GBs of DDR3 RAM
Video Card : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560
Power Supply : Thermaltake TR-600P TR2 Series ATX Power Supply

I'm looking to buy a new power supply, but it's difficult to make a decision based on the mixed reviews. If anyone in the community could recommend a power supply based on PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, that would be nice. I'll primarily game, so a power supply that provides good wattage and remains quite under strain is what I'm after.

Solution

No, mine is quieter than a church mouse, but it is also
above $100 (about $120 i think). However, from
time to time all psu's go on sale.

Here's the link if you want to wait for a sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

What's your budget?

Tom

TheGreatHoylando

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I would recommend a PSU of about 600W. This is to support your hardware and slightly power hungry GTX 500 series card. Also you will be able to upgrade in the future.
Oh and please DO NOT buy a Cooler Master PSU. They're a bit of a lemon when it comes to PSU's :)

Regards,
Dan.

grafxfx

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Tom's had an extensive chart for power supplies and who actually makes them If you would like to reference that it may provide you with some ideas. Seasonic is a power supply I've been seeing a lot of on custom installs. Make sure the power supply you buy has all the correct connectors for your components (especially for video cards). Most of the time a video card will have a recommended minimum power supply for its use. Do not go below their recommendation. If you want to calculate it down to the watt, look up all of the power requirements for all of the system parts (from motherboard, CPU, HDD, SSD, DVD, video cards, etc). Then as a general maximum this should not exceed an 80% load on the power supply. If your total draw is 480w or less, then the 600w power supply recommended by The GreatHoylando (above) would do nicely.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Would going into the 700w~ range be okay or would that be too much for my system?

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

I was just reading the reviews for the psu and most say it's pretty good for the price. Unfortunately, it is sold out on Newegg. I could try Tigerdirect though.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Sorry for the late reply, I was reading some reviews and watching unboxings on youtube and people noted that the fan is pretty noisy when at idle and under load. Does your model of the brand do the same?

No, mine is quieter than a church mouse, but it is also
above $100 (about $120 i think). However, from
time to time all psu's go on sale.

Here's the link if you want to wait for a sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Solution

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

This is one I was looking into last night. It's more than likely the one I'm getting. The reviews from jonnyGURU, hardwaresecrets, and alot of forums say it's a nice buy.

Just a couple more things though, I've seen alot of videos and posts concerning coil whine from Seasonic products.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-r2Sozy-pA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH_N_B6bmbM
Are these just faults in their product or is this a bad feature from alot of power supplies? Also, is it ok if the SeaSonic X Series X650 is mounted in a upperside position in my case?

To be honest, I don't know how prevalant coil whine is from
brand to brand. It seems to crop up here occasionally.

I know my own psu is super quiet.

Yes, psu can be mounted upside down or not, depending on
bottom or top mounted case.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Well, thanks for all the help. I'll be picking up the SeaSonic X Series X650 this weekend.