Max mem on 98SE?

vetski179

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
Built a new pc. 1G Athlon. 512/pc133 mem. 98SE. 20G/ata100 HD. Toshiba DVD/CD. Plextor CD writer. ATI All In Wonder Pro 128. Decided to add another stick of 256/pc133 since it’s so cheap, and I plan on doing some video editing. Installed fine, turned it on. System lists 768, so it’s seeing the new stick. But, machine runs like a turd. Media player putts along, and when I play a certain WMV file, it shuts down, requiring re-boot. Real Player won’t work either. Also, my Plextor starts eating CDr’s like crazy. So, remove the new stick of memory, and, boom, everything is back to normal, including my CD hungry Plextor. So, happen to get the latest PC World today. Amazing coincidence, they have an article on upgrading memory! They, in a trouble shooting sidebar, run my exact scenario. They conclude by saying 98SE is only designed for a max of 512 memory. They give a link to an article by Microsoft that gives a workaround to the problem. Run msconfig and go to advanced troubleshooting. I tried some of the suggestions, such as disabling ROM breakpoint, and raising max memory to 768. Seemed to work better after a re-start. The WMV file that killed it before worked fine, but it didn’t seem to work any faster. Plus, my Plextor had another CDr for lunch! So, the question, anyone successfully Run more than 512 memory in 98SE? How’d ya do it? Thanks in advance! Scott

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Without help Windows 98 has trouble with more than 512mb. I hear that Cacheman 5 is able to fix this problem.

Get it <A HREF="http://www.outertech.com/downloads.php?product=3&download=13&PHPSESSID=eb98c0368e97b0f827b1495ed8c03163" target="_new">here</A>.

Read a review of Cacheman <A HREF="http://home.cnet.com/software/0-429667-7-1847281.html?st.cn.3745-7-1863611.txt.3745-7-1847281" target="_new">here</A>.

Read about the Windows 9x/ME "memory limitation" <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP" target="_new">here</A>.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/11/01 06:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i know i shouldnt but i still snigger at people who use 98... win2k cures soooo many problems.
of which the most important "lets reboot at least twice a day ok?" feature

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Theres a fix on m$ site for 98/me with more than 512 of ram, you can read about it <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=memory above 512&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98SE" target="_new">here</A>

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's the same link I provided. Unfortunately, all of the work arounds effectively restrict Windows memory to 512mb by restricting Vcache addresses, or restricting Windows to use only 512mb, or by reducing installed, physical memory to 512mb.

Cacheman, allows Windows 9x/ME to use all of the physical memory that is installed, up to the limit of one's motherboard.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, Win2k fixed SOOOO many problems-no more problems with my modem, it's not supported! No more problems with my TV-Wonder, it's not suported! No more problems with my scanner, it's not supported! What's beter than that? How about not even bothering to turn the computer on? That fixes ALL the problems!
I dont' have stability problems with 98SE.

Back to you Tom...

G

Hey, how many times have you re-installed W2K? come on be truthful :smile:

I have only re-installed WinMe once since initial upgrade from 98SE, only because silly me deleted some system files. I even swapped my HDD 'as is' to the new Motherboard without a glitch! Every thing else I have been able to work around within windows and granted there is a few bugs and I have ironed them out. But anyway I plan to partition and dual boot with winMe and W2K just to see what all the fuss is about.
Cacheman works wonders btw.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*thinks*
bear with me...
there was once when i first installed the bad bad via4in1's 4.28's... which screwed up my drives. in hind sight i could have just put new drivers on, but i also wanted to change the partition size and do some other stuff.

then it was all good for 4 months till the asus motherboard died. tried 2 reinstalls, but to be fair i also tried multiple win98 installs with no luck either. was crap all round.

then 2 weeks ago i deleted something REALLY important.... some bit of hardware. this comes under the stupid dumbass clause, and it was easier to rebuild win2k than to try to fix my stupid mistake.

so 3 or 4 major reinstalls in 6 months.

allthough ive never had to reinstall win2k cauz of win2k... unlike with 98 which just seemed to die once every couple of months.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

All Iam trying to say I can not think of too many problems that's purely O/S related that cant be re-worked within windows, likely from something they have done themselves then blame the O/S as it is an easy scapegoat, most people could not be botherd with that process and re-install everytime something doesnt work properly.

Unfortunately we have to iron out inherant bugs which is disapointing for a product from such a big Corporation.
We complain about Via and others for releasing products before they are fully tested, what about M$ with there updates and service packs that continually get released for years afterwards.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
After reading all this, yeah, I'll download Cacheman (I'm used it in the past). But, I've just ordered 256MB more RAM in addition to the 256 I have now. So, when I install in in two days (when it should come in from Crucial, right?) what procedure should I take? Install Cacheman before then, and when I install it, it'll already be taken care of?

BTW, I have Win98SE, and I hope to upgrade clean to Win2K within a week or two...

TIA,
Bryan

Don't pay any attention to my chickenscratch. :eek:

G

Well as far a Cacheman is concerned it would not matter if its running now or later, it auto detects what memory is there anyway. You may have to run the wizard again to be sure about all the cache settings etc after installing another stick, this only takes a minute. Crucial In my experience ships pronto after confirming your order with payment so you should have it by then, they shipped to me in Australia in 5 days including customs. What brand is the 256 stick you have installed right now?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I have the same stick as the one getting shipped right now. But that's what I'm guessing, that after I install it, I just rerun the wizards so I'm optimized for 512MB.

Don't pay any attention to my chickenscratch. :eek: