Which digital camera to buy...

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 18, 2005 3:31:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Hello everyone,

Ok I've narrowed it down to 3 models but would like some input from you
folks.

Which digital camera to buy?

1- Canon PowerShot A85 4MP, 3xOPT, 3.6xDG, 1.8Inch LCD, CF Card Digital
Camera = 242.95 at
www.newegg.com ,
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

2- Fuji FinePix E510 5.2MP, 3.2xOPT, 3.6xDG, 2.0"LCD, XD Card Digital Camera
= 239.95 at www.newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

3- NIKON Coolpix 4200 4MP, 3xOPT, 4xDG, 1.5"LCD, SD Card Digital Camera =
258.95 at www.newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Thank you
Richard

More about : digital camera buy

January 18, 2005 10:12:24 PM

Richard K Rabbat wrote:

>Which digital camera to buy?
>
>1- Canon PowerShot A85 4MP
>
>2- Fuji FinePix E510 5.2MP
>
>3- NIKON Coolpix 4200 4MP

All three will take great pictures, but I think a slight nod going to
the Canon and Nikon for image quality.

If this is going to be your primary camera, you may wish to consider
adding a bit more to your budget (about $60+) and going up to the 5mp
models. The added resolution will give you more freedom down the road
for cropping and other editing. But if this is not your primary camera,
then 4mp is more than enough.

If you've owned other cameras from any of the above lines, then staying
within the same brand will help lessen the learning curve. Otherwise buy
the model that appeals to you the most. I happen to like models that use
standard "AA" batteries (rechargeable/alkaline). Replacement batteries
are inexpensive and easy to find.

Personally, I have a Canon A75 along with Canon SLR's. The 3mp A75 is
used mainly for snapshots at parties and other social events where I
don't want to carry the big camera. It has more than enough resolution,
and image quality is excellent for a camera of this price. But if I was
buying a primary camera, I would have bought the A95 for the added
resolution, metal body, and flip-out LCD display. But that's just me.

If you want to read some reviews, visit Steve's Digicams for lots of
info on various makes and models with tests and sample images:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

No matter what you buy, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the results
as most cameras these days take great photos. :)
January 19, 2005 1:31:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Hello, Richard!
You wrote on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:31:55 -0800:

RK> Ok I've narrowed it down to 3 models but would like some input from you
RK> folks.

RK> Which digital camera to buy?

RK> 1- Canon PowerShot A85 4MP, 3xOPT, 3.6xDG, 1.8Inch LCD, CF Card Digital
RK> Camera = 242.95 at
RK> www.newegg.com ,
RK> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
RK> pa=7

RK> 2- Fuji FinePix E510 5.2MP, 3.2xOPT, 3.6xDG, 2.0"LCD, XD Card Digital
RK> Camera = 239.95 at www.newegg.com

RK> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
RK> pa=7

RK> 3- NIKON Coolpix 4200 4MP, 3xOPT, 4xDG, 1.5"LCD, SD Card Digital Camera
RK> = 258.95 at www.newegg.com

RK> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
RK> pa=7

Duhhhh.... Uhhh Eeehhrrrrmmmm....Dunno!
FZ20?

Jerk.
January 19, 2005 1:31:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Hi Jerk,

Thank you for your input. I just want some feedback on the three digital
cameras I listed as my choices. So the Panasonic FZ20 is not one of them
and is out of my price range.

Richard

"Jerk" <Geral@spunk.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Richard!
> You wrote on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:31:55 -0800:
>
> RK> Ok I've narrowed it down to 3 models but would like some input from
you
> RK> folks.
>
> RK> Which digital camera to buy?
>
> RK> 1- Canon PowerShot A85 4MP, 3xOPT, 3.6xDG, 1.8Inch LCD, CF Card
Digital
> RK> Camera = 242.95 at
> RK> www.newegg.com ,

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> RK> pa=7
>
> RK> 2- Fuji FinePix E510 5.2MP, 3.2xOPT, 3.6xDG, 2.0"LCD, XD Card Digital
> RK> Camera = 239.95 at www.newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> RK> pa=7
>
> RK> 3- NIKON Coolpix 4200 4MP, 3xOPT, 4xDG, 1.5"LCD, SD Card Digital
Camera
> RK> = 258.95 at www.newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> RK> pa=7
>
> Duhhhh.... Uhhh Eeehhrrrrmmmm....Dunno!
> FZ20?
>
> Jerk.

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:03:31 PM

Richard K Rabbat wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Ok I've narrowed it down to 3 models but would like some input from you
> folks.
>
> Which digital camera to buy?
>
> 1- Canon PowerShot A85 4MP, 3xOPT, 3.6xDG, 1.8Inch LCD, CF Card Digital
> Camera = 242.95 at
> www.newegg.com ,
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> 2- Fuji FinePix E510 5.2MP, 3.2xOPT, 3.6xDG, 2.0"LCD, XD Card Digital Camera
> = 239.95 at www.newegg.com
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> 3- NIKON Coolpix 4200 4MP, 3xOPT, 4xDG, 1.5"LCD, SD Card Digital Camera =
> 258.95 at www.newegg.com
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>

> Thank you
> Richard

If you can stretch your budget, i would get the Canon A95, ive got this camera and its
fantastic, image quality is excellent.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:28:46 PM

Richard K Rabbat wrote:
>> many links to nice cameras @new egg.c o m

Forgive the intrusion, but if interested I hope you purvue the TOS at
NewEgg.com before you pay cash and possibly get nothing.

Some Highlights:

All refunds entail a 15% restocking fee, even defective units.
Buyer pays all return postage.
A return does not effect their thirty day warranty. It will always
start from the date of the original shipment. If you get a bad one, you
have to choose to go with out their 30 day warranty (a return will take
more than this time period based on my experience) or take the for sure
15% plus shipping cost (both ways) guaranteed loss.
They don't seem to answer e-mails (try for your self).
They don't have much in the way of service, try calling before you buy.
Be ready to holdddddd.....

I had to return my purchase and it never arrived so I asked for a
refund. I have so far waited 10 times longer than I was told the wait
would be in writting. I have been promised expedited service twice, yet
have not seen a dime.

Just drive to a store and walk in, that way they can't hide/ ignore you
in hopes you give up and go away. NewEgg.com does not offer walk in
service, so go somewhere else.

Many people claim to have had great luck with newegg.com, but to me it
just isn't worth the risk after experiencing how bad it can get. Funny
though! Better than the keystone cops...

New Jingle= "Buy Something From NewEgg.com, Just For Laughs"

Don't be taken advantage of big low ball resellers. You have the cash,
so you have the upper hand. You shouldn't have to "kiss up" to a
business to get good service and quality. You should demand it, and go
somewhere else if they can't deliver. Plain and simple.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:21:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

>Forgive the intrusion, but if interested I hope you purvue the TOS at
>NewEgg.com before you pay cash and possibly get nothing.

It's hard for me to imagine why anyone buys from anyone other than B&H
or Amazon. Amazon has the world's easiest website to navigate, along
with great customer service, and B&H is without doubt the leader in
photographic equipment. If you find a price below what B&H and Amazon
are offering, the odds are it's too good to be true....

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography
March 6, 2005 10:02:23 PM

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
> >Forgive the intrusion, but if interested I hope you purvue the TOS at
> >NewEgg.com before you pay cash and possibly get nothing.
>
> It's hard for me to imagine why anyone buys from anyone other than B&H
> or Amazon. Amazon has the world's easiest website to navigate, along
> with great customer service, and B&H is without doubt the leader in
> photographic equipment. If you find a price below what B&H and Amazon
> are offering, the odds are it's too good to be true....
>
> -Joel

> Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases:
http://www.exc.com/photography

Hmm, Page Computer has better prices than B&H and Amazon on lenses.
Delivery is quick and items are factory sealed and new. For filters and
adapters, you can't get much lower in prices than from Camerafilters.com.
Newegg has some of the best prices on photo printers. BatterySpace.com has
great prices on power for you camera. And Buydig.com had the best price on
my cam. I have also bought from B&H. There's no doubt they have an
extensive inventory, but there are better prices out there to be had if you
look for them.

Ron
!