Wierd noises coming from laptop and high temps

liezryou

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
My Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6z-6c00 CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC (AMD a8-3520m processor)

Today i noticed a weird sound coming from the left side of my laptop, sounded like something was stuck in the fan. Pumped some compressed air into there, lowered the noise, but it was still there. I checked my CPU temps while playing dota 2 and it maxed at 81C! Idleing at 51-53C. This seems a bit high no? I think some wire or something may be getting stuck in the fan which is causing the noise and also slowing down the fan hence the high temps. I have finals coming up soon so i would really like to avoid sending it in for warranty repairs if at all possible.

More than likely, it is a massive accumulation of dust in the laptop. If you aren't too intimidated by the thought of getting into your laptop, there are videos available on youtube like this one (of many) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFhxzGjzUfk showing how to disassemble the laptop to clean (and other purposes).
Disassembly and cleaning is important here since the dust bunnies will not leave the laptop otherwise (and your issues will continue) - compressed air, as you've found, simply moves them a little - temporarily. If you are wary of getting into the laptop, a local computer repair shop should be able to help out for a reasonable price (I would think).
Hope it helps

liezryou

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

Doesn't that void the warranty though?

Both yes and no. Laptop manufacturers frown upon that kind of behavior but (here's the interesting part) unless you damage something or strip screws, there is no way to tell. If you do damage something or strip screws, that becomes "user induced damage" and does void most warranties. I've yet to see a seal warning against entering any part of a laptop, the worst I've seen is cables taped down (you'll want to try to keep the tape if possible). Most important I think, don't force anything, always assume there is a screw you missed or a connector you need to figure out.

liezryou

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

Ok thanks ill see about it. One last question, is 81C way too high? Like i play dota for hours at a time sometimes is it safe?

liezryou

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

I have a cooling pad. Guess ill have to open this bad boy up.

InvalidError

Titan

I do not know about you but every time I unscrew painted screws, some of the paint always flakes off.

I'm guessing the lock-tite or similar stuff they dip the screw tips explains a good part of why manufacturers manage to put these in without damaging the paint while they are nearly impossible to get out without scraping some off.

liezryou

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

Damn now im scared, alright so final answer. Is it ok if my cpu runs at these temps until after finals so i can send it in for warranty or should i go get it opened up?

InvalidError

Titan
Best way would be to ask the manufacturer whether or not removing a cover voids the warranty.

Before I opened my HP laptop's CPU-area cover to dust it off with compressed air, I asked HP support whether or not this would void the warranty and was told there was no problem with that as long as this was the only thing do.

TRENDING THREADS