Sign in with
Your question

Multiple xeon w3680

Last response: in CPUs
February 14, 2013 8:13:41 PM

Alright my dad brought home a "old" cpu from his company which they used in their workstations. He asked me if I can use this so without hesitation I said yes. I google the cpu and found out that this w3680 is a very very cool cpu and runs faster then my i5 2500k. This night he asked me what i think about the CPU I said I like it and I might built myself a workstations with it. My dad then asked me if I want more of them since they got a good handfull of them. Obviously I said yes. So I am 16 and building computers is a great hobby. I might sell these but then I had a mind flash. WHAT IS IF I CAN USE THE W3680 PUT IT ON A WORKSTATION MOTHERBOARD AND USE THEM IN A 12 CORE ARRANGEMENT? THAT WOULD BE EPIC! :bounce: 

QUESTION:
I googled this prosessor but it seems like it does not support dual cpu... is there any solution that will run this in a dual cpu config? Maybe a motherboard something software based? I would love every persons input in this.

Also imagine going to a lan party with a 12 core dual cpu watercooled overclocked to 4.2ghz, 32gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram and dual gtx 560 with an epic thor v2 case would be amazing. Also since I upload up to 5 youtube videos a week having those cpus would really improve rendering times. I have everything thats in there besides a mobo. I got the ram, the gpu, the power, the case... just not a solution to run this.

To add to that I am a enthusiast, meaning im doing this for my pleasure I dont think I will ever need this power but i mean.... when do u ever get a chance. But i need more power that is a fact... I am starting to work with 3d modeling programs, video production and I am looking forward to educating myself about virtual servers, nas servers and basically all the crazy stuff out there. As much as i might or might not do with this It will definitely suffice my fps needs in new games. :whistle:  so ya help me :D 

I WOULD LOVE SOME FEEDBACK AND HELP ON THIS PROJECT!

More about : multiple xeon w3680

a b à CPUs
February 14, 2013 10:55:04 PM

seife96 said:

Also imagine going to a lan party with a 12 core dual cpu watercooled overclocked to 4.2ghz, 32gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram and dual gtx 560 with an epic thor v2 case would be amazing.

Better yet, use it as a game hosting and observation server at a LAN party.
m
l
February 14, 2013 11:09:14 PM

seife96 said:
Alright my dad brought home a "old" cpu from his company which they used in their workstations. He asked me if I can use this so without hesitation I said yes. I google the cpu and found out that this w3680 is a very very cool cpu and runs faster then my i5 2500k. This night he asked me what i think about the CPU I said I like it and I might built myself a workstations with it. My dad then asked me if I want more of them since they got a good handfull of them. Obviously I said yes. So I am 16 and building computers is a great hobby. I might sell these but then I had a mind flash. WHAT IS IF I CAN USE THE W3680 PUT IT ON A WORKSTATION MOTHERBOARD AND USE THEM IN A 12 CORE ARRANGEMENT? THAT WOULD BE EPIC! :bounce: 

QUESTION:
I googled this prosessor but it seems like it does not support dual cpu... is there any solution that will run this in a dual cpu config? Maybe a motherboard something software based? I would love every persons input in this.

Also imagine going to a lan party with a 12 core dual cpu watercooled overclocked to 4.2ghz, 32gb of ddr3 1600mhz ram and dual gtx 560 with an epic thor v2 case would be amazing. Also since I upload up to 5 youtube videos a week having those cpus would really improve rendering times. I have everything thats in there besides a mobo. I got the ram, the gpu, the power, the case... just not a solution to run this.

To add to that I am a enthusiast, meaning im doing this for my pleasure I dont think I will ever need this power but i mean.... when do u ever get a chance. But i need more power that is a fact... I am starting to work with 3d modeling programs, video production and I am looking forward to educating myself about virtual servers, nas servers and basically all the crazy stuff out there. As much as i might or might not do with this It will definitely suffice my fps needs in new games. :whistle:  so ya help me :D 

I WOULD LOVE SOME FEEDBACK AND HELP ON THIS PROJECT!

W3680 is a very old Westmere EP meaning any modern Ivy or Sandy or Sandy-E will shat all over it.

It's a single QPI CPU meaning single socket workstations only, workstation boards typically have 1-2 x16 slots and very frugal back panel, and many cases(thor included) don't support CEB or EEB, you'll need to drill those holes yourself. Can't overclock on workstation boards either(though you may be able to find an enthusiast board that has a compatible BIOS with the Xeons). Plus I doubt people make waterblocks for workstation boards, servers maybe, you'd need a custom one from OCN or even here.

X58 single socket boards only support 24GB of memory, you can't get 32.

By now that CPU isn't worth much money, did you really think a company would give away $2000 Xeons for free, you could maybe sell it for 200 and put that towards an i7-3930k or dual E5-2687W(fastest CPU for dual CPU build) and an SR-X.

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 2:28:44 AM

The CPU is only 3 years old. Take as many as you can get, they ebay for $400+ used.

A hex core with hyper-threading makes for a very solid server.
m
l
February 15, 2013 2:53:31 AM

darkspartenwarrior said:
W3680 is a very old Westmere EP meaning any modern Ivy or Sandy or Sandy-E will shat all over it.

It's a single QPI CPU meaning single socket workstations only, workstation boards typically have 1-2 x16 slots and very frugal back panel, and many cases(thor included) don't support CEB or EEB, you'll need to drill those holes yourself. Can't overclock on workstation boards either(though you may be able to find an enthusiast board that has a compatible BIOS with the Xeons). Plus I doubt people make waterblocks for workstation boards, servers maybe, you'd need a custom one from OCN or even here.

X58 single socket boards only support 24GB of memory, you can't get 32.

By now that CPU isn't worth much money, did you really think a company would give away $2000 Xeons for free, you could maybe sell it for 200 and put that towards an i7-3930k or dual E5-2687W(fastest CPU for dual CPU build) and an SR-X.

Good luck!

-So the case is no prob, much of it is already modded and modding cases is another hobby of mine.
-The waterblock isnt either since there are many that support 1366: http://www.overclock.net/t/900737/best-lga-1366-waterbl...
-The 24gb is also just minor since 24gb should be plenty to have some fun with.
-board, well here we go. So there is no way i can get this thing to work dual cpu if im right? so I will just go on a role and use one with a enthusiast motherboard. I already saw some info on what to get and how to unlock.

It would definitely be a fun project and I might end up with a allot better cpu then my i5 2500k. I still dont have a quantity but they had nine and well they have been laying around since 2 weeks. My dad is trying to get some more.

Now new question: How should I sell them?
-ebay/craigslist cpu only?
-Craigslist (an add for me building a custom workstation)
-or built gaming/workstation rigs and put them on ebay/craigslist?
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:02:23 AM

seife96 said:
-So the case is no prob, much of it is already modded and modding cases is another hobby of mine.
-The waterblock isnt either since there are many that support 1366: http://www.overclock.net/t/900737/best-lga-1366-waterbl...
-The 24gb is also just minor since 24gb should be plenty to have some fun with.
-board, well here we go. So there is no way i can get this thing to work dual cpu if im right? so I will just go on a role and use one with a enthusiast motherboard. I already saw some info on what to get and how to unlock.

It would definitely be a fun project and I might end up with a allot better cpu then my i5 2500k. I still dont have a quantity but they had nine and well they have been laying around since 2 weeks. My dad is trying to get some more.

Now new question: How should I sell them?
-ebay/craigslist cpu only?
-Craigslist (an add for me building a custom workstation)
-or built gaming/workstation rigs and put them on ebay/craigslist?

Waterblock is actually dependent on the board itself not the chipset.

For instance if you take the X79 ASRock extreme9 and compare the heatsink to the P9X79 Deluxe heatsink they are mounted VERY differently.

However you can just get one from OCN or such, from a forum user for 30-ish bucks+shipping.

You can sell CPU off ebay and craigslist can work too but make sure you have a friend or parent there with you.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 3:46:53 AM

seife96 said:

It's single CPU only. LGA 1366

The motherboards will run you $250+ new.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
May 24, 2013 3:18:03 AM

Hi There,

Just wondering if you still had any of these chips on hand- I'm looking to upgrade my mac with it and because they are discontinued they are a bit hard to come by, and I'd like to save a few dollars off retail if I can obviously.

Let me know if you'd be interested in selling me one- I'd appreciate the help!

Giovanni
www.gr-illustrations.ca
m
l
May 26, 2013 7:45:39 AM

giovanni_r said:
Hi There,

Just wondering if you still had any of these chips on hand- I'm looking to upgrade my mac with it and because they are discontinued they are a bit hard to come by, and I'd like to save a few dollars off retail if I can obviously.

Let me know if you'd be interested in selling me one- I'd appreciate the help!

Giovanni
www.gr-illustrations.ca

I dont have the W3680 anymore but I have a Intel xeon w3520 that i want to get rid of!
m
l
May 27, 2013 11:51:47 AM

Darn, that's too bad- I have the 3520, that's what I'm trying to upgrade from :) 

No chance of you getting more of the 3680 is there?
m
l
!