Computer takes 3 times to turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

darielgames

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I have a HP Pavilion a1487c, when ever I turn my computer on in the mornings it takes three times to boot up. The lights and fans go on but on the first two attempts nothing happens on the screen, no beeps or anything. The CPU fan will go on full blast the first two attempts and stay on but on the third try the CPU fan will go on full blast then rest again followed by the HP screen.

I have tried replacing the PSU, GPU, and testing each ram stick individually but no results. I tried resetting the bios settings by removing the battery for about 15 minutes but still the same thing happens. I have also tried flashing the bios but still got nothing.

CPU: Intel Pentium(R) D 2.8Ghz (Originally had Intel V//V)
Ram: 4GB DDR2
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4670

P.S: Sorry I'm not sure what topic this post should be in.

lhikary

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
your system is really old your better off with a new one and its better you choosing your parts and case etc and you building them
and for your problem it happened to me before once like 6 years ago and i hit it a few time and the problem stopped being honest here

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Usually it's because the motherboard needs to "warm up". It tends to happen to a lot of computers I work on with cheap motherboards or bad PSUs.

Edit: usually after the power supply has been disconnected, as the motherboard is still powered even when it's off.

darielgames

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
This is my grandfathers computer and he doesn't want to spend much money. He is not very smart in computers, so he thinks that the computer has a huge problem. If it were me I could live with it.

So there is no possible fix without a new motherboard?

Those symptoms seem to indicate a failing power supply unit.

Borrow a known good power supply and substitute it temporarily for troubleshooting purposes to see if the problem gets resolved. If it works then you know that you need to buy a new power supply unit.

darielgames

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

"I have tried replacing the PSU, GPU, and testing each ram stick individually but no results."

I have already tried that.

Quiffles

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
Just letting you know that I have the exact same problem,same model.I don't use the computer that often and don't have a resolution,computer always starts eventually.......so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.