Sign in with
Your question

DDR3 Graphics VS DDR5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2012 3:07:46 PM

I have researched this quite a bit and can't find a very good answer. Will a DDR3 VIDEO card get much worse performance than a DDR5 card of the same model? Sorry if this gets asked alot... I couldn't get a good answer elsewhere. Thanks!

More about : ddr3 graphics ddr5

a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 3:16:13 PM

rjackowens said:
I have researched this quite a bit and can't find a very good answer. Will a DDR3 VIDEO card get much worse performance than a DDR5 card of the same model? Sorry if this gets asked alot... I couldn't get a good answer elsewhere. Thanks!

Of the same model -> YES. The DDR3 ram has, at the same clocks, half as much bandwidth. Usually DDR3 is used to denote a lower end model (of the same chipset family). In addition, higher speed DDR3 is more expensive to make, so the DDR3 models of the same cards have much lower clock speeds on the VRAM. 2.2 Ghz is the most I have seen back when DDR3s are in dominance, these days, on DDR3 equipped cards, expect a very low clock like 1.3, 1.4 ghz ish.

This will limit your performance for high resolutions, and where the VRAM is rapidly accessed (large textures, anti-aliasing, etc). In another way of saying the same thing, avoid DDR3 video cards in current generation cards if you have even a slight tendency to play games.
a c 355 U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 3:17:00 PM

I have already answered you question in your original thread.

Don't post multiple threads if you are too lazy to search for your original thread.
!