Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Blue Screen
  • Biostar
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2012 3:25:04 PM

hi friends m new here and facing serious problem ....
today i bought a new gfx card biostar nvidia geforce 9400gt..
i know its low profile card but i thought it supports dx10 and m not hardcore gamer thats y i bought it,,,
now the prob is when i installed the card and installed the driver ..then i start any video or game then my pc hangs...the video gets hangs and start again after 5 to 7 minutes then agains hangs...also in games the pc totally hangs and sometimes it gives me bsod blue screen of death ...related to somekind of nv4_disp errorr...
my system specifications are:
MSI G31TM-P21
1GB RAM
Biostar Nvidia Geforce 9400gt 1GB..

sorry for my bad english...
plz friends help me...i just bought it today and doesnt working...

More about : nvidia gfx problm

a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 3:34:04 PM

safin_11 said:
hi friends m new here and facing serious problem ....
today i bought a new gfx card biostar nvidia geforce 9400gt..
i know its low profile card but i thought it supports dx10 and m not hardcore gamer thats y i bought it,,,
now the prob is when i installed the card and installed the driver ..then i start any video or game then my pc hangs...the video gets hangs and start again after 5 to 7 minutes then agains hangs...also in games the pc totally hangs and sometimes it gives me bsod blue screen of death ...related to somekind of nv4_disp errorr...
my system specifications are:
MSI G31TM-P21
1GB RAM
Biostar Nvidia Geforce 9400gt 1GB..

sorry for my bad english...
plz friends help me...i just bought it today and doesnt working...

Okay, seeing as you got the drivers installed, I'm going to assume you moved the monitor cable onto the new video card instead of the onboard graphics.

Then:

First things first, I'd try a stress test on the video card to make sure the video card isn't faulty hardware wise, so get a free copy of OCCT, and use the GPU Stress Test option, set it to full screen, and see if your video card crashes this test, or gets too hot to touch (if your GPU supports temperature readouts).

JUST FYI: That video card is very very old. For the same money, you can probably do better (how much did you pay ?)
August 11, 2012 3:35:53 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Okay, seeing as you got the drivers installed, I'm going to assume you moved the monitor cable onto the new video card instead of the onboard graphics.

Then:

First things first, I'd try a stress test on the video card to make sure the video card isn't faulty hardware wise, so get a free copy of OCCT, and use the GPU Stress Test option, set it to full screen, and see if your video card crashes this test, or gets too hot to touch (if your GPU supports temperature readouts).

thanks for ur kind reply but what is OCCT??? sorry i dont know this thats y m asking...where can i find it???
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 3:45:04 PM

safin_11 said:
thanks for ur kind reply but what is OCCT??? sorry i dont know this thats y m asking...where can i find it???

Just google "OCCT" and it is a free download. The name of the program is called "OCCT". It is a stress testing program to find hardware problems.
August 11, 2012 3:48:10 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Just google "OCCT" and it is a free download. The name of the program is called "OCCT". It is a stress testing program to find hardware problems.

ya i donwloaded ... i noticed one thing when i uninstalled my drivers then the videos are running smoothly but again when i installed the videos hangs my pc .... now in this occt what to do now ...
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 3:49:57 PM

safin_11 said:
ya i donwloaded ... i noticed one thing when i uninstalled my drivers then the videos are running smoothly but again when i installed the videos hangs my pc .... now in this occt what to do now ...

It seems like you have a hardware issue. If you install the drivers, and the card doesn't work anymore, then you may not be able to test with OCCT. With OCCT, your drivers must be installed.
August 11, 2012 3:57:45 PM

Maxx_Power said:
It seems like you have a hardware issue. If you install the drivers, and the card doesn't work anymore, then you may not be able to test with OCCT. With OCCT, your drivers must be installed.

ya now i installed the driver...without playing videos or games the my pc is running fine... plz suggest me some ways to solve this prob...
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 3:59:53 PM

safin_11 said:
ya now i installed the driver...without playing videos or games the my pc is running fine... plz suggest me some ways to solve this prob...

Okay, once you got the driver installed, you must test the hardware with OCCT, use the GPU Stress Test option in OCCT, and get back to me on whether it is stable (goes on without crashes) for 20 minutes or so.
August 11, 2012 4:01:51 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Okay, once you got the driver installed, you must test the hardware with OCCT, use the GPU Stress Test option in OCCT, and get back to me on whether it is stable (goes on without crashes) for 20 minutes or so.

ok rightnow m testing with drivers installed after the test i will reply i will really appreciate u
August 11, 2012 4:37:32 PM

@maxx power
hey i completed the test got 8 to 9 fps during test now what...it wasnt crashed...now next what to do???
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 4:42:34 PM

safin_11 said:
@maxx power
hey i completed the test got 8 to 9 fps during test now what...it wasnt crashed...now next what to do???

If it hasn't crashed, then your video card is likely good. The next thing I would suspect is likely the RAM. You need to do a memtest with a bootable CD. You can download UBCD (for free again, google it), and find the memory test called MemTest86+ and let it do 5-6 passes to see if you get any errors. If not, the memory seems okay too.
August 11, 2012 4:43:06 PM

Maxx_Power said:
If it hasn't crashed, then your video card is likely good. The next thing I would suspect is likely the RAM. You need to do a memtest with a bootable CD. You can download UBCD (for free again, google it), and find the memory test called MemTest86+ and let it do 5-6 passes to see if you get any errors. If not, the memory seems okay too.

ok then?? after that... but i think ram is not connected with gfx some how...my question is how can i play videos and games on my gfx card without hanging or freezing the pc...
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 4:52:29 PM

safin_11 said:
ok then?? after that... but i think ram is not connected with gfx some how...my question is how can i play videos and games on my gfx card without hanging or freezing the pc...

Yes, I understand your question. I'm itemizing all the different things in your computer that can go wrong to cause the error message you listed. Which by the way, is an error message associated with the drivers of the video card. If any one of these is true, you can get that error message and crashes, so you need to fix them first. So the most likely causes are:

1) Bad GPU.

2) Bad RAM.

The drivers are loaded into the RAM, and also the game content, so if your RAM has issues and corrupts data, you'll get crashes, some of which maybe related to the driver.

If you are SURE your RAM is okay, then you can go on to the rest of the list of possible causes:

3) Bad driver install (go to safe mode, uninstall all Nvidia drivers, reboot to regular mode, install Nvidia drivers, also if you have previously installed any Nvidia/AMD drivers, you need to uninstall all of them, either manually or use DriverSweeper (or similar)).

4) Possible Power Supply Issue

August 11, 2012 4:53:27 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Yes, I understand your question. I'm itemizing all the different things in your computer that can go wrong to cause the error message you listed. Which by the way, is an error message associated with the drivers of the video card. If any one of these is true, you can get that error message and crashes, so you need to fix them first. So the most likely causes are:

1) Bad GPU.

2) Bad RAM.

The drivers are loaded into the RAM, and also the game content, so if your RAM has issues and corrupts data, you'll get crashes, some of which maybe related to the driver.

If you are SURE your RAM is okay, then you can go on to the rest of the list of possible causes:

3) Bad driver install (go to safe mode, uninstall all Nvidia drivers, reboot to regular mode, install Nvidia drivers, also if you have previously installed any Nvidia/AMD drivers, you need to uninstall all of them, either manually or use DriverSweeper (or similar)).

4) Possible Power Supply Issue

when i unplugged my gfx card and used intel onboard gfx to play games and videos all worked fine thats y i thought the prob may not be ram ...sory i dont enough know about hardwares thats y ...u r expert if u have some suggestions to figure it out i will be really thankful to u...
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 4:59:02 PM

safin_11 said:
when i unplugged my gfx card and used intel onboard gfx to play games and videos all worked fine thats y i thought the prob may not be ram ...sory i dont enough know about hardwares thats y ...u r expert if u have some suggestions to figure it out i will be really thankful to u...

OKay, if it is not RAM for sure. I'd recommend doing the (3) above. Safe mode, uninstall all Nvidia/AMD drivers, reinstall.

What's the game ?
August 11, 2012 5:01:21 PM

Maxx_Power said:
OKay, if it is not RAM for sure. I'd recommend doing the (3) above. Safe mode, uninstall all Nvidia/AMD drivers, reinstall.

What's the game ?

the games was doom3 and hd videos..
August 11, 2012 5:06:44 PM

Maxx_Power said:
That's a pretty old game. Try also updating your DirectX software:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...

You may also want to try running the game in compability mode if you have a Windows 7 64 bit.

m using XP SP3 32bit and i also installed latest direct x....i m really confused what to do now... :??:  :( 
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 5:09:17 PM

safin_11 said:
m using XP SP3 32bit and i also installed latest direct x....i m really confused what to do now... :??:  :( 

Does this crashing happen only to this game, have you tried any other games ?

August 11, 2012 5:12:54 PM

no i didnt tryied any other game ... now i installed the old driver version of 2009 of this gfx now videos are running smoothly but this doom3 game gets hangs and my pc freezes...
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 5:16:31 PM

safin_11 said:
no i didnt tryied any other game ... now i installed the old driver version of 2009 of this gfx now videos are running smoothly but this doom3 game gets hangs and my pc freezes...

Good idea. Were you using the 301.42 drivers ?
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 5:17:37 PM

safin_11 said:
yes i was using that... now m using 191.07 version drivers...now what to do for gaming...should i instal more old driver than this???

Well, I wouldn't recommend it in the long term, but if it gets the game running, I'd say try it.

August 11, 2012 5:18:27 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Good idea. Were you using the 301.42 drivers ?

yes i was using that... now m using 191.07 version drivers...now what to do for gaming...should i instal more old driver than this???
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 5:18:30 PM

Is there another video card you can use to test the computer with ?
August 11, 2012 5:22:14 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Is there another video card you can use to test the computer with ?

no i dont have any other video card except this...
August 11, 2012 5:22:55 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Well, I wouldn't recommend it in the long term, but if it gets the game running, I'd say try it.

u tell me what u think??? the gfx card is faulty or what ??? tell me ur opinions...
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2012 7:18:11 PM

safin_11 said:
thanks again ... downloading this now and trying...

Let me know how this works out. Essentially, the card seems to be okay, but newer Nvidia drivers work very poorly on older nvidia cards, and they are known to be incompatible with a lot of older games (as per that thread discussion).

So, I suppose, if the old driver doesn't work, try a newer card, like an AMD HD6450 or even better, HD7750. That way if you upgrade computer later, you can reuse the video card (HD7750).

But try the older driver first.
August 12, 2012 4:38:19 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Let me know how this works out. Essentially, the card seems to be okay, but newer Nvidia drivers work very poorly on older nvidia cards, and they are known to be incompatible with a lot of older games (as per that thread discussion).

So, I suppose, if the old driver doesn't work, try a newer card, like an AMD HD6450 or even better, HD7750. That way if you upgrade computer later, you can reuse the video card (HD7750).

But try the older driver first.

oh i tried older drivers...the problem arised again...videos freezing...but when i installed low gfx games "blood 2 the chosen" the game worked fine.... but doom3 hangs my pc .... plz help i cant understand wheather its hardware problem or the driver problem ????
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2012 12:54:18 PM

I'd still check RAM.
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 1:56:24 PM

safin_11 said:
oh i tried older drivers...the problem arised again...videos freezing...but when i installed low gfx games "blood 2 the chosen" the game worked fine.... but doom3 hangs my pc .... plz help i cant understand wheather its hardware problem or the driver problem ????

Sounds a lot like a driver issue. At this point, if you can't find a good driver version, you'll have to try a different card. The driver support as discussed at that thread points to Nvidia not properly supporting older cards and older games as being the problem. If you can return the card, try an AMD. Since if you get a newer Nvidia card, it likely still won't work with older games unless you can find a stable driver.
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2012 2:11:29 PM

maxx_power, you're talking nonsense. My dad has got 8600 GT in his rig and it's running solid stable with newest drivers. Also, there are no problems with new or old games, that kind of things don't matter. And his problem is not driver related - he tried many different versions. It's either faulty card, faulty RAM or faulty motherboard slot.
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 2:13:29 PM

Sunius said:
maxx_power, you're talking nonsense. My dad has got 8600 GT in his rig and it's running solid stable with newest drivers. Also, there are no problems with new or old games, that kind of things don't matter. And his problem is not driver related - he tried many different versions. It's either faulty card, faulty RAM or faulty motherboard slot.

Please read the the thread I linked to above. Where people are discussing how older games are not working with newer driver updates. Your 8600GT isn't running old games like Doom3 and Blood2. I'm linking relevant resources on the web to the OP, not talking opinions I made up.

As the OP said, he gets BSOD related to Nvidia driver *.dll's, things run fine without the video card. We OCCT'd to stress test the card, it passed fine.

Here is the thread on Nvidia driver issues again, verbatim:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=198579
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2012 2:33:38 PM

I've been following the whole thread. Dlls don't cause blue screens unless they are corrupted. However, he reinstalled the drivers many times. Windows are showing the DLL as the fault because it issues a command which graphics card for some reason cannot do. It's either faulty motherboard, card or memory. It does not sound like driver issue at all.
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 5:34:47 PM

Sunius said:
I've been following the whole thread. Dlls don't cause blue screens unless they are corrupted. However, he reinstalled the drivers many times. Windows are showing the DLL as the fault because it issues a command which graphics card for some reason cannot do. It's either faulty motherboard, card or memory. It does not sound like driver issue at all.

And display driver related crashes usually result in BSODs pointing out DLLs. A lot of things can cause driver related crashes, such as an incomplete removal of previous drivers, different drivers interacting in a bad manner (that's what DriverSweeper is/was for), and drivers installed that are improperly designed for the graphics subsystem (happens mostly with laptops and customized inf strings). Also remember that in XP, a display driver crash brings down the whole system.

We already looked at the possibility of a bad GPU/slot by stress testing, and the OP has already said that the system runs other games fine, and when using the onboard. Which leads me to believe it is a driver-game incompatibility. In addition, there are a lot of threads similar to the one I posted where things as this was said:

" 182.06 (latest stable at the time for UT3 and works with all other older games I have installed, so never updated)"

"I've found multiple reports of the newer drivers breaking embedded video, causing the video driver to crash and reboot. This is happening to me too since updating my driver and is my main reason for rolling back. Gives Break.com a brand new meaning.... "

THE OP IS HAVING EXACTLY VIDEO AND OLDER GAME ISSUES.

and this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...

this EA official announcement, hard crashing issues with nvidia drivers:

https://help.ea.com/article/dragon-age-ii-pc-incompatib...

Seems to me the problem with driver compatibility with games is WIDE SPREAD.
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 5:39:21 PM

This is taken directly from www.geforce.com:

" frame rates in decade-old games can be limited to 30 to prevent incompatibility issues"

Nvidia specifically said there are incompatibility issues, but never detailed them (only a few known/reported ones on their release PDFs), we're left to guess.
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 5:46:16 PM

safin_11 said:

Two last things you can try on your own:

1) update your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version. Go visit MSI's website, and figure this out.

2) if you are not using the latest version of Doom 3 (I think 1.3.1 is the latest), go and download the latest patches to bring this game up to date, this usually improves compatibility.

Also, when you revert to older drivers, always do a clean uninstall of previous drivers. Since release 256, Nvidia drivers have compatibility issues because the existing drivers are not automatically removed/over written.
August 13, 2012 3:51:03 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Two last things you can try on your own:

1) update your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version. Go visit MSI's website, and figure this out.

2) if you are not using the latest version of Doom 3 (I think 1.3.1 is the latest), go and download the latest patches to bring this game up to date, this usually improves compatibility.

Also, when you revert to older drivers, always do a clean uninstall of previous drivers. Since release 256, Nvidia drivers have compatibility issues because the existing drivers are not automatically removed/over written.

i downloaded at installed 182.06 version of driver still same problem...videos and games freezes my pc...ya i didnt updated the bios ... i googled a lot and many have the same issue as mine..the got reply as u said to update the bios.... should i do that??? bcoz my bios is old around 2008 version i dont know properly
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 13, 2012 11:17:34 AM

OP: Did you do memory test? Can you try the graphics card in another PC?
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 2:20:28 PM

safin_11 said:
i downloaded at installed 182.06 version of driver still same problem...videos and games freezes my pc...ya i didnt updated the bios ... i googled a lot and many have the same issue as mine..the got reply as u said to update the bios.... should i do that??? bcoz my bios is old around 2008 version i dont know properly

I'm going to say, since you tried most everything else, update the BIOS. Before you update your BIOS, make sure your DOOM 3 version is 1.3.1 or above, if it is not, try patching it with updates then run it to see if crashes go away.

It seems the crashes are (possibly) related to GDI+OpenGL rendering (still driver).

Also, just so my impression isn't wrong from reading what you said, but when you get BSODs, does the screen always point out the same *.dll file related to Nvidia (NV-something) ?
August 13, 2012 4:57:36 PM

Sunius said:
OP: Did you do memory test? Can you try the graphics card in another PC?

yes i checked with another pc its not working with other pcs also ... one of my frind's pc has win7 when i tried my card with his pc..the driver crashes and report error comes that driver succesfuly recovered...
August 13, 2012 5:00:04 PM

Maxx_Power said:
I'm going to say, since you tried most everything else, update the BIOS. Before you update your BIOS, make sure your DOOM 3 version is 1.3.1 or above, if it is not, try patching it with updates then run it to see if crashes go away.

It seems the crashes are (possibly) related to GDI+OpenGL rendering (still driver).

Also, just so my impression isn't wrong from reading what you said, but when you get BSODs, does the screen always point out the same *.dll file related to Nvidia (NV-something) ?

yes its related with nv4_disp.. and now m not getting that bsod but my pc freezes until i press alt+f4 ... when i press it..the games or videos which cause freezing while playing gets closed and then the pc runs fine.but again when i play any videos or games the pc freezes...hangs....for sometime again the game or video runs ahead for 1 second and then the pc again hangs for about 1 minute... i think my gfx card is faulty bcoz i tried with other pc and in that other pc the bios was of 2009... does the bios matter?? should i update my bios?? the bios update is available of 2010 date what should i do ... :??:  :( 
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 13, 2012 6:22:50 PM

Your card is faulty. It crashes in other PCs. That's the only confirmation it needs. Call the warranty!!
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 6:45:46 PM

safin_11 said:
yes its related with nv4_disp.. and now m not getting that bsod but my pc freezes until i press alt+f4 ... when i press it..the games or videos which cause freezing while playing gets closed and then the pc runs fine.but again when i play any videos or games the pc freezes...hangs....for sometime again the game or video runs ahead for 1 second and then the pc again hangs for about 1 minute... i think my gfx card is faulty bcoz i tried with other pc and in that other pc the bios was of 2009... does the bios matter?? should i update my bios?? the bios update is available of 2010 date what should i do ... :??:  :( 

Well, since you tried it on a different PC, I'd say the card may have issues. Either way, the intro videos of a lot of games cause issues with newer drivers from what I have read so far. The video-stutter-freeze-crash symptom is rampant with some Nvidia video cards (apparently mostly with DX10 cards running older DX9 games that uses certain types of video cut-scenes or pre-rendered stuff).

If you have a friend's video card to try, preferably a different model, you can at least track down which card works for your games. You really want to isolate the cause of the issue, to make SURE that if you return the card, or have it replaced under warranty, that A), you didn't do this for nothing, and B), the money you spent shipping the card was worth it, since the card is likely to be cheap in the first place.

When you tried it in your friend's PC, was it the same game that causes it to crash, or all games/activities ? This will help you to narrow down what I said above.
August 14, 2012 3:03:28 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Well, since you tried it on a different PC, I'd say the card may have issues. Either way, the intro videos of a lot of games cause issues with newer drivers from what I have read so far. The video-stutter-freeze-crash symptom is rampant with some Nvidia video cards (apparently mostly with DX10 cards running older DX9 games that uses certain types of video cut-scenes or pre-rendered stuff).

If you have a friend's video card to try, preferably a different model, you can at least track down which card works for your games. You really want to isolate the cause of the issue, to make SURE that if you return the card, or have it replaced under warranty, that A), you didn't do this for nothing, and B), the money you spent shipping the card was worth it, since the card is likely to be cheap in the first place.

When you tried it in your friend's PC, was it the same game that causes it to crash, or all games/activities ? This will help you to narrow down what I said above.

yesterday i was very angry at my gfx card ... i breaked it with a hammer ... and i thrown all the peices of it to fire... i just burned it...really thanks for ur help and adice and also thanks to sunius... for now i hate nvidia :fou: 
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
August 14, 2012 5:33:40 PM

So you hate them because you got a faulty card? stuff happens mate! I would have taken the card back to the seller and wouldn't have broken it myself though.
August 14, 2012 5:40:55 PM

Sunius said:
So you hate them because you got a faulty card? *** happens mate! I would have taken the card back to the seller and wouldn't have broken it myself though.

i bought it for 15$ only... no matter to me... i m very happy after broking and burning that shity card .... now no tension of drivers or anything... just using onboard intel g31 gfx :D  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :bounce: 
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 6:03:58 PM

safin_11 said:
yesterday i was very angry at my gfx card ... i breaked it with a hammer ... and i thrown all the peices of it to fire... i just burned it...really thanks for ur help and adice and also thanks to sunius... for now i hate nvidia :fou: 

I suppose, in a way, you managed to express and channel your frustrations on something that was cheap anyway. That is a positive thing, controlled release of anger/stress.

On another note, I suppose you can shop around for another card if you really want one.

Cheers and good luck!
!