Would I benefit from a CPU upgrade

mjones0014

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Hello,
I am wondering if I would benefit from a CPU upgrade. Currently I have an AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black edition. I have a Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard which has a AM2+ socket. My video card is a Radeon HD 4870 with 512 Mb. Basically I am wondering if a better CPU would improve my performance in some games. I can't hold 60 frames in any game really.

Thanks

I think it is the graphics card not the CPU that you have to upgrade. I would be shocked if you are CPU limited with the 4870.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

It's interesting that an AM2+ socket would support AM3 cpus. But yes, apart from a BIOS update, you could get a better CPU. However, I do think that the other guys are right as well. A better GPU would help as well.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
Start and then search "msinfo32 " no quotes. The first thing that comes up will be a hardware summary. On the right side about 1/3rd of the way down, "BIOS Version/Date". For example, my motherboard: Phoenix Technologies, LTD, P10, 12/30/2009. The version is P10 with the release date.

Also, you can see where your CPU shapes up against other CPUs here on Tom's CPU Hierarchy.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

My personally opinion, if you buy a new CPU and GPU, you might as well start a new budget build.