Kvm switch is not recognizing a usb mouse or keyboard

ivorysoul

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hello,
I firts used a usb corless mouse and keyboard. But it didn't work correctly.So I went to a usb mouse and keyboard and the kvm switch wont recognise it.Windows 7 on the main computer.

prokvm

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Windows 7 system does check the connection status of all devices connected to it under "Device Stage" which was the new features/functions added to Win 7 OS. Most of the KVM switches currently in the market do not support or feed the continuously update of share devices (such as keyboard, mouse or even speakers connected to the KVM switches). That's the reason why
you only experience problem under Win 7 OS. The Windows 8 OS will have the same issue regarding the keep checking the connected devices status. It may be caused by both new OSs all have built-in support of touch screen display or under tablet mode.

So, the make sure your future KVM switch 100% support Windows 7's or Windows 8's"Device Stage", you need to looking for if they having advanced technologies, such as "USB DDM" or "Dynamic Device Mapping" for USB devices or "Full-time All DDC-EDID" for the display.

Hope this developers' insider knowledge-base can help you to under stand the reason(s) why your KVM work or not work.

juiceclone

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
I have discovered that even though a usb keyboard or mouse WILL work correctly when connected to the comp directly, they may not work or will delay or stop the boot process when running thru a KVM switch. It seems necessary to use only "generic/plain" keyboard and mouse to stop the boot hang problem. My Microsoft wireless mouse was the total cause of this problem when used thru an electronic KVM and then thru another KVM with all mechanical switches. A "lighted" keyboard and another with the "special" keys that take you to your home page..etc, also gave some trouble! Seems counter-intuitive, but try different mouse and/or keyboard into the KVM and see if that does it. :>)