Sign in with
Your question

Core i5, H77 and B75 chipsets, and Overclocking

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 2:05:52 AM

So i'm like helping a friend with a $1100 gaming rig. We initially settled for a i7-3770K, but due to budget constraints we are now looking very dearly at an i5-3550 :) 

We are currently planning to use an Intel DH77EB mobo, but I was wondering if we could find a cheaper mobo, that has 4 RAM slots and USB 3.0 support (Intel/Asus/Gigabyte only).

Basically I have these 2 questions,

1. What is the main difference between H77 and B75 chipset motherboards?
2. Is it possible to perform that +4 speed bins OC that non-K edition chips support, on a H77 or B75 mobo, or is that only supported on z77 ones?

Here's the link to the planned build, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/384959-31-gaming-buil...

Thanks in advance :) 
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 3:33:07 AM

H77 has a few more features (especially in connectivity) than B75, but they're overall very similar.

You can use the few extra speed bins that the regular chips support on H77, but IDK if you can on B75 (you probably can).

Don't get a K edition Ivy CPU unless you're getting a Z77 or &75 board.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 9:48:26 PM

Okay, so as per wikipedia, the only things lacking in the B75 vs the H77 are RAID support, IRST, and SRT, and Intel vPro. None of these features are interesting to me.

Now, I hope someone can atleast answer the second half of my question....can the +4 bin OC be performed on a non-K i5, using a B75 motherboard....something like this mobo for instance.....http://www.flipkart.com/asus-p8b75-v-motherboard/p/itmd...

Also, would a mini-ATX form factor be bad for a build that's gonna use a 150W HD 7870? Will the card fit into it without any issues?
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2013 1:13:44 AM

I think that B75 can work with the extra bins of overclocking offered on the non-K edition CPUs, but I'm not sure. If that feature is not listed as lost by Wiki by going down from H77 to B75, then chances are that B75 has it.

The size of the board does not impact the graphics card unless the board has poor layout (IE all of its SATA ports are placed just right to be completely blocked by a decent sized dual-slot graphics card). Being smaller than ATX doesn't affect the board's capability to work with large graphics cards.
!