Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GPU causing my computer to shut down or CPU? Or something else..

Last response: in CPUs
February 15, 2013 2:38:26 AM

Hello, I am trying to figure out what's going on with my computer. Lately it has been randomly shutting down and powering back on. I have watched my temps and they are all fine for both GPU and CPU. I ran a stress test for my CPU and nothing but when I did it for my GPU it would shut down almost instantly. I tried re seating it and nothing changed. The shut downs are random as well. Sometimes it shuts down while I'm just browsing. And in games like ArmA it'll shut down either 30 minutes in or 10. It will shut down with my CPU at 40 and GPU at 60. I don't understand.
a c 117 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 2:43:45 AM

I'm going to blame your PSU here. What make and model of power supply do you have?
m
l
February 15, 2013 2:44:45 AM

C12Friedman said:
I'm going to blame your PSU here. What make and model of power supply do you have?
It's an HX750 watt it's fairly new as well.
m
l
Related resources
a c 79 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 2:50:12 AM

configuration?
m
l
February 15, 2013 2:58:07 AM

satyamdubey said:
configuration?

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 3:05:56 AM

sorry bout that... share your system specs with us :) 
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:10:11 AM

satyamdubey said:
sorry bout that... share your system specs with us :) 

-gpu- GTX-570 not overclocked
- CPU- I5 2500k was overclocked to 4.2 till this started happening. Putting it to default did not change, Using H80i cooler.
-PSU HX750 watt.
RAM- 8 gigs g skill sniper
Mobo-GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

Everytime I run the 3D test on MSI kombuster my computer instantly shuts down.

m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 3:17:18 AM

With a fairly new HX750, I wouldn't expect problems from the PSU itself. You might check your connections notably the PCIe connectors, both at the Graphics card and the PSU side
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:20:41 AM

C12Friedman said:
With a fairly new HX750, I wouldn't expect problems from the PSU itself. You might check your connections notably the PCIe connectors, both at the Graphics card and the PSU side

Yeah I know, I only had it for about 2 months now. I had to replace my TX750 because it died. I looked through everything. All wires are in well everything runs fine. That's what I don't understand.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 3:26:10 AM

And there's no problem running without the gpu? have you checked that?
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:31:49 AM

satyamdubey said:
And there's no problem running without the gpu? have you checked that?

None, only time my computers instantly shuts down is when I run the GPU stress test. other then that it's usually very random
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:40:57 AM

I just went through the same thing. At first it was random only while playing games. It would complete any CPU or RAM stress test I could throw at it. Then after a few months it became consistent every time I started any game or a gpu benchmarking tool like Furmark. It was my PSU, but mine was a 4yr old pc power and cooling silencer 750. It just couldn't handle my 6970 under load anymore. Luckily, it had a 5yr warranty. I actually just got it back repaired today from pc power and cooling. I had access to a Rosewill 550w psu and it worked fine so that's how I was able to confidently narrow it down to my PSU. Racked my brain for 2 weeks on the bastard before I was able to try another PSU.
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:47:08 AM

arson94 said:
I just went through the same thing. At first it was random only while playing games. It would complete any CPU or RAM stress test I could throw at it. Then after a few months it became consistent every time I started any game or a gpu benchmarking tool like Furmark. It was my PSU, but mine was a 4yr old pc power and cooling silencer 750. It just couldn't handle my 6970 under load anymore. Luckily, it had a 5yr warranty. I actually just got it back repaired today from pc power and cooling. I had access to a Rosewill 550w psu and it worked fine so that's how I was able to confidently narrow it down to my PSU. Racked my brain for 2 weeks on the bastard before I was able to try another PSU.

I just had to get another PSU if it's that then I'm going to be pissed.
m
l

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 3:54:28 AM

even I am leaning towards possible psu issue. could be a v-rail issue. Since it's booting up a paper clip test wont tell anything. fails with an increase in gpu power requirement.
February 15, 2013 4:06:25 AM

satyamdubey said:
even I am leaning towards possible psu issue. could be a v-rail issue. Since it's booting up a paper clip test wont tell anything. fails with an increase in gpu power requirement.

CPU stress test does not increase the power? I have been playing arma for about an hour and a half now perfectly fine. I changed the outlet where my PSU was plugged into, not sure if that did anything but still.
m
l
February 15, 2013 4:11:45 AM

Just ran the GPiu burn in test instead of stress test and that ran fine. With my GPU at 99% load.
m
l
February 15, 2013 4:38:18 AM

Well only shuts down when I do the furry and tessy test, guess I have to get a new PSU or RMA this.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 4:42:10 AM

buk laou said:
CPU stress test does not increase the power? I have been playing arma for about an hour and a half now perfectly fine. I changed the outlet where my PSU was plugged into, not sure if that did anything but still.

cpu stress test does increase power...the fact that failure was consistent with gpu loading lead me to think its the gpu power requirement hence the pcie connector, hence the 12V rail issue assumption

an issue of power draw from the wall is quiet possible.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 4:54:29 AM

Another consideration may be the graphics card itself. I'm a little suspicious of it at this point, two well rated PSU's going out? I assume it was a similar issue that caused you to replace the first PSU? It could even be 12v regulation on the motherboard to the PCIe slot(s) for that matter
m
l
February 15, 2013 4:59:27 AM

C12Friedman said:
Another consideration may be the graphics card itself. I'm a little suspicious of it at this point, two well rated PSU's going out? I assume it was a similar issue that caused you to replace the first PSU? It could even be 12v regulation on the motherboard to the PCIe slot(s) for that matter

Well I guess I'll find out the issue sometime soon. For now I'll have to deal with the random shut downs unless it gets worse. Once I get my 680 and it still persists I guess I'll know what the problem is. In that case I have very bad luck with power supplies. I'll get the AX 850 this time.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 5:14:59 AM

buk I have a suggestion. Do take into consideration the max power your system can draw before you simply up the power supply to an 850 W. A quality ~ 600 Watt Seasonic/Corsair will easily power up your rig and allow for OC too. A decent OC will keep your cpu below 200W and OC'ed your gpu would probably draw like 230-250 Watts.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 5:16:34 AM

satyamdubey said:
buk I have a suggestion. Do take into consideration the max power your system can draw before you simply up the power supply to an 850 W. A quality ~ 600 Watt Seasonic/Corsair will easily power up your rig and allow for OC too. A decent OC will keep your cpu below 200W and OC'ed your gpu would probably draw like 230-250 Watts.

^ +1
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:48:44 AM

satyamdubey said:

I will thanks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 6:42:40 AM

Does the MB have both 24pin and 8pin power cables installed?

And video card both 6pin power cables?

If it's a power rail you could under clock the video card. Use CPUID HWMonitor or another app to watch the rails as the load goes up.

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 7:17:52 AM

Could try a different power circuit in the house to iron out anything possible before the wall. Even an extension lead to another power point. Could be the power board too if you're using one.
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:42:47 PM

The Mobo has everything installed, I have had this computer since mid 2012. Only had to change the PSU once. Probably twice now. But I also plugged it into another outlet and same problem, It's originally plugged into a surge protector, only have 3 things hooked up to that. You would not even know that my computer has these problems unless your run the furry and tessy stress test thing on msi kombuster. The shut downs are random. Sometimes it won't happen for a whole day or week. It depends. But now I'm thinking it's my PSU anyways.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 15, 2013 4:22:30 PM

This is a recent thing right? have you done sone installation or case cleaning after which this apparently stared to happen? just want to rule out a shorting mobo part
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:32:19 PM

satyamdubey said:
This is a recent thing right? have you done sone installation or case cleaning after which this apparently stared to happen? just want to rule out a shorting mobo part

I have done case cleaning. Simple dusting that's about it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 6:38:41 PM

This is just an opinion based on my experience, but I think the OC may have caused capacitor issues, have you checked your MOBO for leaking silicone or protruded caps on the capacitors? If things are running fine for a while it may be very hard to see any problems with just a visual inspection.

That power supply is great and shouldn't be the source of your issues.

If the computer is shutting off and not just loosing display or freezing I would rule out the GPU.

I would also check windows error logs for anything with a red warning on it. That might help narrow things down a bit.

As a side note, I love arma 2, can't wait for 3. It has to be one of the best looking open world games of all time. I really hope they make the AI a bit better in the future. I have some maps with over 500 units in various positions that wouldn't recognize an enemy if it shot them in the face. Kind of ruins the realism when you have OPFOR and BLUFOR standing next to each other in the battlefield like a bunch of friends.
m
l
February 15, 2013 7:00:17 PM

adamv1 said:
This is just an opinion based on my experience, but I think the OC may have caused capacitor issues, have you checked your MOBO for leaking silicone or protruded caps on the capacitors? If things are running fine for a while it may be very hard to see any problems with just a visual inspection.

That power supply is great and shouldn't be the source of your issues.

If the computer is shutting off and not just loosing display or freezing I would rule out the GPU.

I would also check windows error logs for anything with a red warning on it. That might help narrow things down a bit.

As a side note, I love arma 2, can't wait for 3. It has to be one of the best looking open world games of all time. I really hope they make the AI a bit better in the future. I have some maps with over 500 units in various positions that wouldn't recognize an enemy if it shot them in the face. Kind of ruins the realism when you have OPFOR and BLUFOR standing next to each other in the battlefield like a bunch of friends.

Yeah I checked it, all capacitors are perfectly fine, Everything looks new still. I also checked the error logs every time it would shut down. It would just tell me that windows shut down unexpectedly. So far since 10 in the morning my computer has been running fine. Played Dead Space and battlefield and had no issues. But like I said it's random so who knows. I want to THINK that the problem is fixed =P even though I am sure it's not.
And you're right about ArmA 2. I can't wait for ArmA 3 myself (=
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2013 7:06:36 PM

Sounds like the ghost left. Let's hope it stay's gone.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 16, 2013 2:18:15 AM

is there a slight chance that last case cleaning might have "disturbed" cpu seating?
I'd make sure the cpu HSF is sitting on/holding the mobo properly. Check the legs and if possible, tighten the screws.
m
l
February 23, 2013 3:23:49 AM

I got my new Power supply 2 days ago and I forgot to update this. But now my computer runs fine. The PSU was at fault. So hopefully this one lasts. I prefer the HX over the AX though for some reason. But thanks for the answers.
m
l
February 23, 2013 3:24:30 AM

Best answer selected by buk laou.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 23, 2013 3:33:47 AM

Thank you buk and good luck.
m
l
February 26, 2013 2:59:09 PM

At least my misfortunes pointed you in the right direction and I hope they saved you some frustration identifying the problem. It was quite frustrating for me to test everything. Hopefully this PSU will last for years!
m
l
!