Till now I did not use more than one log in name.

I recently bought a new computer and open a login account for myself and one
for my wife. I managed to get various programs going well for me but when I
logged on on my wife account (no password or limitation have been
established) it seems that I have to re-configure a lot of programs, for
instance I cannot find the address list on outlook (2002) on my wife's login.
I cannot find the fax console... what to do? can you give me a few simple
steps to follow and perhaps let me know when I can have access to a manual on
line as none were delivered with my computer.

Thanks,

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Till now I did not use more than one log in name.
>
> I recently bought a new computer and open a login account for
> myself and one
> for my wife. I managed to get various programs going well for
> me but when I
> logged on on my wife account (no password or limitation have
> been
> established) it seems that I have to re-configure a lot of
> programs, for
> instance I cannot find the address list on outlook (2002) on
> my wife's login.
> I cannot find the fax console... what to do? can you give me
> a few simple
> steps to follow and perhaps let me know when I can have access
> to a manual on
> line as none were delivered with my computer.
>
> Thanks,

Since windows 2000 programs that support individual user configuration
will have a diffrent configuration peruser. Some older programs (only
example that comes to mind is Quake 3) do not support this. Basicly,
each user has there own configuration, if you wish to try (I would
recomend you dont) and copy the config you should look for a folder of
relevent name in your "Application Data" (located "C:Documents and
Settings%username%Application Data") and copy the relelven folder.
(for example, to copy firefox’s config to another user acount I
would have to copy "C:Documents and Settings%username%Application
DataMozillaFirefox" to "C:Documents and
SettingsotheruserApplication DataMozillaFirefox") of course this
dosnt always work.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-XP-Pro-ftopict421091.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1407657

JC

I recently did this too. I am no expert, so maybe one will come along. In
the meantime I will tell you that each user will have their own address list
in Outlook, etc. Windows is "built that way". There is no cross over
between the users, and each Windows program starts as though it were being
used for the first time as each user opens Windows and logs on for the first
time. Did you notice that even the desk top was not the same. So, when you
create a new account, you must create all new environments. The way to get
your wife the same address book settings that you have is to find the file
that holds the address book data base. (See Windows help for this.) Then put
a copy in the "Shared Folders" section. Do all this while you are logged on.
Then, log off and log on as your wife. Then copy the address book file that
you put into the shared folders into the same folder under your wife's logon.
Then, go to Outlook and select that address book file. It will then be
there, BUT they are not dynamic--a change to yours will not be a change to
your wifes UNLESS you both set Outlook to look at the same file in the shared
folders. If you do this you will both have a "common address book". Hope
this helps.