How much outdated is my GPU?

Hello. I was just wondering if its time for a new pc. The GPU is: Ati Radeon 3870 512 ddr4 256bit
10 answers Last reply
More about outdated
  1. It's pretty outdated. I wouldn't upgrade though if you can play the games you like at desirable settings.
  2. It's a 'very' old card but that's not to say you need a whole new computer!
    Please give us more information: CPU, memory which Windows (or Linux) you're using and, very importaintly, the monitor resolution- not size, but resolution- and the make and model of the powersupply.
    Oh, and what games do you want to play?
  3. I thought i made a signature about my pc specs. I'll just c/p:
    Asus M2N-e; AMD Athlon dual core 5000+ BE; Ati Radeon 3870 MSI; 3gb ddr2 800mhz; 250gb Seagate;
    I'd like to run Starcraft 2 maxed out on 1080p that wont lag with a overpopulated map (4 players with 200supply). full hd is most important.
    But, when GTA 5 comes out, id like to run that on full hd and good details. Anyone knows the release date of GTA5?
  4. theProbe said:
    I thought i made a signature about my pc specs.

Tom's Hardware > Profile > Forum options
    Display signatures: Yes

seems to default to No for some reason.
  5. theProbe said:
    I thought i made a signature about my pc specs. I'll just c/p:
    Asus M2N-e; AMD Athlon dual core 5000+ BE; Ati Radeon 3870 MSI; 3gb ddr2 800mhz; 250gb Seagate;
    I'd like to run Starcraft 2 maxed out on 1080p that wont lag with a overpopulated map (4 players with 200supply). full hd is most important.
    But, when GTA 5 comes out, id like to run that on full hd and good details. Anyone knows the release date of GTA5?

I'd suggest making a new thread at new build forums. Remember to tell your budget there!
  6. Ah.
    Right.
    Your rig was quite a monster a few years ago, but games are far more demanding than they were then so, sorry to say, you DO need a new computer.
    How/if you go about this will depend on our circumstances but, as Sunius suggests, opening a thread in the build forum will yield some sage advice.
  7. it pretty much dates back somewhere between the bronze age and the iron age.
  8. ^ I'd have put it closer to early industrial: The computing equal of Newcomens Atmospheric Engine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomen_steam_engine

That said I've a C2D with a 8800GTS under XP and it's d%*" handy for games that won't run easly under Win 7.
  9. Key. So since i do need a new rig, i won't open a new thread now. I will wait for the ati 8000 series. But, what do you think is better, geforce or radeon?
  10. They are rival companies, each have up and downs depending on the pricepoint.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Radeon ATI Graphics