drive removal from 'send to' menu

XP pro - in the 'Send To' context menu my disc drives and 'My Documents'
folder are listed among the other options. Does anyone know a way to remove
them? They are not listed within the actual 'Send To' folder, located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\SendTo
and I coldn't find a registry key referencing them.
Reply to Locke
5 answers Last reply
More about drive removal send menu

    Disabling CD recording (CD-RW drive's Properties), will remove the CD-RW
    drive from Send To menu. The My Documents entry can be removed by simply
    deleting the "My Documents" file from Send To folder. For other removable
    drives, you need to hide the drive-letter using Tweak UI, or use the
    NoDrives registry value [ http://windowsxp.mvps.org/nodrives.htm ]

    NoDrives
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/gp/239.asp

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Locke" <Locke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP pro - in the 'Send To' context menu my disc drives and 'My Documents'
    > folder are listed among the other options. Does anyone know a way to
    > remove
    > them? They are not listed within the actual 'Send To' folder, located at:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\SendTo
    > and I coldn't find a registry key referencing them.
    Reply to Anonymous

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:03:58 +0530 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, Ramesh, MS-MVP favored us
    with...
    > Disabling CD recording (CD-RW drive's Properties), will remove the CD-RW
    > drive from Send To menu. The My Documents entry can be removed by simply
    > deleting the "My Documents" file from Send To folder.

    And an easy way to open the Send To folder is
    Start -> Run
    and type "sendto" (no quotes).

    Note that Send To is a per-user setting.

    --

    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."

    You may want to remove the tip on your site regarding
    "NoDrivesInSendToMenu", Stan. This is not valid in Windows XP, afaik.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:03:58 +0530 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, Ramesh, MS-MVP favored us
    > with...
    >> Disabling CD recording (CD-RW drive's Properties), will remove the CD-RW
    >> drive from Send To menu. The My Documents entry can be removed by simply
    >> deleting the "My Documents" file from Send To folder.
    >
    > And an easy way to open the Send To folder is
    > Start -> Run
    > and type "sendto" (no quotes).
    >
    > Note that Send To is a per-user setting.
    >
    > --

    > "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    > "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    > "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    > "I was misinformed."
    Reply to Anonymous

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:32:43 +0530 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, Ramesh, MS-MVP favored us
    with...
    > You may want to remove the tip on your site regarding
    > "NoDrivesInSendToMenu", Stan. This is not valid in Windows XP, afaik.

    After considerable experimentation,[1] I agree with you, and I thank
    you for the correction. I have updated

    and would appreciate comments on the revised version.

    I'm also able to return the favor. :-) On your page
    <http://windowsxp.mvps.org/nodrives.htm> you might want to note that
    the TweakUI solution is not available to limited users, only
    administrators, and also that it won't affect any other users. So
    folks who are importing registry keys need to do so for every user.
    Also there's a typo in the first paragraph, "fore" instead of "for".

    [1] I tried under HKLM as well as HKCU; I tried NoDriveInSendToMenu,
    NoDrivesSendTo, etc. I also tried bit-masking the registry value, as
    is done for the Autorun setting. Nothing had any effect, even though
    I loggged off and on again after each registry change. So either the
    advice I quoted[2] was just dreamt up out of whole cloth, or there's
    some variation of the value that I was unable to guess.

    [2] The incorrect advice I used to give is pretty common on the Web:
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=uduWClqHFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
    and this answer at Microsoft seems to agree with
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/04august24.mspx
    and so do
    > http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/248009684731
    > http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.platformsdk.ui_shell/post20316652.asp
    and others.

    --

    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of

    Thanks Stan. Fixed the typo.

    >> TweakUI solution is not available to limited users

    Yup. Hence the manual registry edit suggested at the bottom of the page.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:32:43 +0530 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, Ramesh, MS-MVP favored us
    > with...
    >> You may want to remove the tip on your site regarding
    >> "NoDrivesInSendToMenu", Stan. This is not valid in Windows XP, afaik.
    >
    > After considerable experimentation,[1] I agree with you, and I thank
    > you for the correction. I have updated
    > http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/winxptip.htm#ContextSendto
    > and would appreciate comments on the revised version.
    >
    > I'm also able to return the favor. :-) On your page
    > <http://windowsxp.mvps.org/nodrives.htm> you might want to note that
    > the TweakUI solution is not available to limited users, only
    > administrators, and also that it won't affect any other users. So
    > folks who are importing registry keys need to do so for every user.
    > Also there's a typo in the first paragraph, "fore" instead of "for".
    >
    > [1] I tried under HKLM as well as HKCU; I tried NoDriveInSendToMenu,
    > NoDrivesSendTo, etc. I also tried bit-masking the registry value, as
    > is done for the Autorun setting. Nothing had any effect, even though
    > I loggged off and on again after each registry change. So either the
    > advice I quoted[2] was just dreamt up out of whole cloth, or there's
    > some variation of the value that I was unable to guess.
    >
    > [2] The incorrect advice I used to give is pretty common on the Web:
    >> http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=uduWClqHFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
    > and this answer at Microsoft seems to agree with
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/04august24.mspx
    > and so do
    >> http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/248009684731
    >> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.platformsdk.ui_shell/post20316652.asp
    > and others.
    >
    > --

    > "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    > variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    > evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    > where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    > --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46
    Reply to Anonymous
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Configuration Customization Windows XP