canon a85/a95

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 26, 2005 5:04:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

I'm about to buy one of these cameras but have a couple of concerns that
you guys might be able to comment on.

Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?

Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
of the camera.

I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
to the job?

Any comments gratefully received.

Nick

More about : canon a85 a95

January 26, 2005 5:04:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Hi, I have the cheaper, and older A series Canon (A60) and have had no
problems with the CF card slot or battery door. Of course I make sure to be
careful when opening them up like any other camera. I have not hear any
problems with the swing out LCD and the cable, but like anything else, don't
force stuff. I know one thing, the LCD can be reversed so that the screen
will face inside and not get scratched or broken - that must be a PLUS. I
recently had a friend buy the A95 and is very pleased with it. He bought his
online at Beach Camera for about $285. And YES, the A95 has a metal body.
Look at the web site www.dpreview.com/ for all kinds of info about any and
all digital cameras.

Good luck,
Dan

"Nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I'm about to buy one of these cameras but have a couple of concerns that
> you guys might be able to comment on.
>
> Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
> flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
> seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
> of the camera.
>
> I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
> cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
> to the job?
>
> Any comments gratefully received.
>
> Nick
January 26, 2005 5:04:45 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:04:47 -0500, "Daniel" <dcxdan AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:

>Hi, I have the cheaper, and older A series Canon (A60) and have had no
>problems with the CF card slot or battery door. Of course I make sure to be
>careful when opening them up like any other camera. I have not hear any
>problems with the swing out LCD and the cable, but like anything else, don't
>force stuff. I know one thing, the LCD can be reversed so that the screen
>will face inside and not get scratched or broken - that must be a PLUS. I
>recently had a friend buy the A95 and is very pleased with it. He bought his
>online at Beach Camera for about $285. And YES, the A95 has a metal body.
>Look at the web site www.dpreview.com/ for all kinds of info about any and
>all digital cameras.
>
>Good luck,
>Dan

Very Happy with My a95 about the CF cover its not a big deal just don't force it
and it works fine.
nathan.
Related resources
January 26, 2005 8:27:55 PM

Nick wrote:

>Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
>flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?

Don't let the kids play with it, and don't bang it around on the
concrete, and you should be fine. :)

The card slot door isn't flimsy when closed either. When it's open, it
dangles quite freely, but I don't consider that to be an indicator of
it's durability.

>Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
>seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
>of the camera.

The cable is probably made of the same material as other flexible cables
like the ones used in printers, so I doubt it would fail at all.

>I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
>cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
>to the job?

I guess you haven't handled an A95...it has a metal body.

But even though the plastic body may not feel as durable, unless you
drop it, I don't see any reason for failure. And I haven't found much
discussion on the net about problems with the A-series, which is why I
bought the Canon A75 as a second camera for snapshots.
January 27, 2005 2:21:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Haven't had any problems with my A85. Yea the door seems flimsy, but I
haven't had any problems with it.

I haven't heard of any issue with the swing out LCD either.

"Nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I'm about to buy one of these cameras but have a couple of concerns that
> you guys might be able to comment on.
>
> Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
> flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD seem?
> Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life of the
> camera.
>
> I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF cards
> there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up to the
> job?
>
> Any comments gratefully received.
>
> Nick
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:28:46 PM

Nick wrote:
> I'm about to buy one of these cameras but have a couple of concerns that
> you guys might be able to comment on.
>
> Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
> flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
> seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
> of the camera.
>
> I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
> cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
> to the job?
>
> Any comments gratefully received.
>
> Nick
Ive got the A95, 1. it has a metal body, 2.the swing out LCD is very sturdy and an
excellent feature. 3.If you dont need to open the CF door,like i dont then it isnt a
problem, i have a larger CF card and allways use the USB port to download picture to my
pc, burn to cd then print.

Hope this helps.

BTW the A95 is a excellent camera. :-)
January 27, 2005 8:19:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Daniel, flyblr, Bill, Buck, Tygershark...

Thank you gentlemen! The A95 it is then.

All the best,

Nick

Nick wrote:
> I'm about to buy one of these cameras but have a couple of concerns that
> you guys might be able to comment on.
>
> Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
> flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
> seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
> of the camera.
>
> I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
> cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
> to the job?
>
> Any comments gratefully received.
>
> Nick
January 27, 2005 8:19:07 PM

Nick wrote:

>Daniel, flyblr, Bill, Buck, Tygershark...
>
>Thank you gentlemen! The A95 it is then.

I don't think you'll be disappointed...it's a surprisingly capable
camera with lots of automatic options for newbies and lots of semi or
manual controls for more experienced users.

Have fun. :)
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:38:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

In article <35pma6F4pvo7nU1@individual.net>, Nick <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

> I'm about to buy one of these cameras but have a couple of concerns that
> you guys might be able to comment on.
>
> Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
> flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
> seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
> of the camera.
>
> I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
> cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
> to the job?
>
> Any comments gratefully received.
>
> Nick

I don't have either of those; I have the Canon A80 -- maybe there are
enough similarities that my remarks would be helpful. Maybe not.
I've never noticed a problem with the cover for the CF card slot - and I
move the cards in and out of there rather frequently, I'd say.
I love the twist and flip LCD screen and notice no 'looseness' or
anything else bad on mine after about 8 months of use.
Can't comment about the body - can't even tell you if mine is plastic or
metal, but I often carry it in a pants pocket rather than in the
foam-padded camera bag I bought.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com&gt; 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
January 28, 2005 10:56:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Hi Nick,

I just purchased the A95 from Dell Home electronics, yes www.dell.com. And
I do have to say I like it quite a lot. It feels great in the hands and
produces great pics! By the way, when I bought this little gem from Dell
and after all the coupon codes I paid 261.65usd for it and it came in a
retail package too boot. :)

Richard

"Nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I'm about to buy one of these cameras but have a couple of concerns that
> you guys might be able to comment on.
>
> Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
> flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
> seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
> of the camera.
>
> I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
> cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
> to the job?
>
> Any comments gratefully received.
>
> Nick
February 2, 2005 7:52:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Nick wrote:
(snip)
> Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
> flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
> seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
> of the camera.
>
> I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
> cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
> to the job?
I have a Canon G3 and the construction is similar to the A95(which I
recently bought for my son). The G3 also has a plastic CF card slot
door and a plastic battery compartment door. It also has a twist and
flip LCD. None of these parts have broken in the 3 years I have owned
the camera. This camera has been to China, Australia, Europe and across
the US with no problems at all.
I would not worry about the durability of the A95.
Jack
February 6, 2005 9:38:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Thanks to Bill, Melba, Richard and Jack for your useful comments.

Regards,

Nick

Nick wrote:
> I'm about to buy one of these cameras but have a couple of concerns that
> you guys might be able to comment on.
>
> Firstly several reviews mention that the cover for the CF card slot is
> flimsy. Is this a real problem in practice?
>
> Second on the a95 how does the durability of the twist and flip LCD
> seem? Do you think the ribbon cable might fail during the service life
> of the camera.
>
> I would have liked a metal body, but if you want AA batteries and CF
> cards there is not much choice. Is the plastic case on the a85/a95 up
> to the job?
>
> Any comments gratefully received.
>
> Nick
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:40:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

With all of these good comments about the a95, and particularly it's
low price, I'm thinking of replacing my old S30. Before I do, can
someone tell me if there's anything I'll miss from the S30 when I get
the A95? I like the Canon line because the Program mode works well
enough for snapshots, and it offers me convenient manual control that
I normally use.

Is there another camera in the same price range I should consider?

Thanks.

-Joel