Atom N2800 or D525

Flomps

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
which one is better, i know the n2800 is newer but game debate rates the D525 better for gaming. i need it to play minecraft on low setting, and general web surfing. (as i have a much larger desktop for other things, but i cant haul a desktop everywhere)

I understand lugging a desktop around not being feasible, but Atom? Seriously? What's wrong with getting a proper laptop?

The N2800 is better than D525 AFAIK, but they are both pretty bad. I'd suggest at least getting an AMD APU-based system.

Flomps

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Well, I Would Have A Proper Laptop However When I Go To Meetings And Stuffs, our captain/leader doesn't say bring your computers, she says "bring your macbooks" and i don't have a macbook so i bring my cruddy laptop (i don't tell them my specs but its a celeron m with 512mb ram running windows xp) and i get laughed at. but i found a macbook air clone for cheaper (£300) that packs 4gb of ram and is really thin. it comes with the N2800 or D525. im going to hackintosh it.

Now You See my predicament, they're isheeps don't care about specs. if its apple then its good to them.

is the N2800 overclockable (even a bit?) surely its enough for some websurfing and a few flash games and a bit of minecraft. im a bit of an anti apple geek but having a super slim laptop would be great (because i havent really cared about looks just specs but i have a beast of a pc at home)

I wouldn't even bother with Minecraft on it. I have enough experience with Minecraft on an 8600 GT to say that something even weaker is probably not worth having in graphics performance. Minecraft isn't an intense game, but it's not so light that it'll run well on just anything.

IDK if you'd even be able to hackintosh that system or not. Apple doesn't make drivers for anything except hardware used in their systems and hardware compatible with their hardware. I don't think that Apple has any Atom-based systems and you'd be gambling on hoping that they support the rest of that system.

Intel's mobile CPUs are not overclocking-friendly AFAIK and I wouldn't push my luck with an Atom system since they're bound to have crap cooling, especially in an ultrabook form factor.

Honestly, your best chances would be to find a laptop with specs similar or identical to one of the MacBook/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air systems if you want to Hackintosh it and even then, IDK if there are any. I admit I only have a little knowledge on Hackintosh systems and my best experience with them has been with custom desktops where you can make sure to choose compatible components.

Flomps

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Gamedebate says its just enough to play minecraft.
i've found a fair few articles and posts saying its easy to hackintosh an atom system however also found some that say apple has patched OSX to not work on atoms. if it dosent work ill just skin windows 7 to look like osx. i've got a link to the laptop here:
http://www.eforchina.com/product/default!view.do?id=94485
not alot of ssd but im going to add a 32gb sd and if it keeps the laptop thin then so be it. thanks for all your help,