Possible new system - any advice

Martincattoms

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hello all. I am looking at getting a new build in the next week or so. Getting all parts from NCIX because I can get free shipping with reward points and I can do some price matching as well. Budget is $1000-$1300 before rebates. Being used for gaming, watching videos, surfing, in that order. I have a monitor (1080p) and misc parts, like optical drive, keyboard/mouse.

Used pcpartpicker, see below. Any advice would be appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.99 @ Computer Valley)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($83.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.88 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($204.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($41.18 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($95.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $1059.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Solution
Certainly sick with that mobo, if getting unlocked processor. With RAM, it is always difficult to judge how much clearance there is, for specific mobo, and cooler, so it's generally wise to use low profile RAM, like GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport, or Corsair CML, then you KNOW there's not going to be an issue.

malbluff

Honorable
There are a couple of things:
As you are using a locked processor, that can't be overclocked:
You don't need a aftermarket cooler; the stock one, supplied with the processor is adequate.
You don't necessarily need a Z77 motherboard. If you plan to add a second graphics card, in crossfire, there is a marginal advantage to a Z77 mobo. If not, switch to a H77 mobo (basically the same, just not overclocking). An Asus P8H77-V is a very good, quality, choice.
You don't need a 700w power supply, unless you a thinking of adding a 2nd graphics card, again, and, anyway, wouldn't necessarily recommend OCZ. If planning 2nd GPU, stick with 700w, if not 500 or 550w is plenty. Suggest one from Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec, or PC Power & Cooling.
Unless you want to do high-end photographic/video work, there is little point to 16GB of RAM. 8GB is plenty. Use 1600 MHz with that processor.

Martincattoms

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Thanks for the advice Malbluff.

Good advice about the CPU, I changed it to an unlocked one, the 3570k. I also might look at overclocking in the future. I should also mention with my current PC I skimped a bit on the PSU and am paying for it with crappy quality. I will also seriously look at crossfire in the future when card prices drop, like they always do. One more reason I want a nice PSU with more than enough power. I changed it to an XFX750.

I was looking at H77 m/b's, and I was considering the P8H77-V motherboard (at NCIX), but it is only $20 less than the V77 I picked, so that is why I went with it.

The only reason I am getting 16gb of Ram is because it is so cheap. I can get 16gb for only $70, which is certainly better than it was when I built my current PC. I also had the wrong ram picked and am actually looking at some G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory.

Thanks again for the advice. Seems my choices are ok, the only problem them being maybe a bit on the extra performance side.

malbluff

Honorable
Certainly sick with that mobo, if getting unlocked processor. With RAM, it is always difficult to judge how much clearance there is, for specific mobo, and cooler, so it's generally wise to use low profile RAM, like GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport, or Corsair CML, then you KNOW there's not going to be an issue.

Solution