  • Configuration
  • Firefox
  • Windows XP
September 14, 2005 9:49:04 PM

This may be a Mozilla issue but it may also be a XP User Profile issue.

When I right click on a photo and select "Save Image As" Firefox freezes and
Windows "This program is not responding..." dialog comes on. This is a
recent new problem. Saving jpgs has always worked fine in the past. Program
closes and works fine on restart (except for "Save Image As"). Another User
has no trouble with the issue. I suspect this may be a shared program issue.
I also posted this in Netscape group.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Something similar also occurs with AVG antivirus. It has to be upgraded in
each user profile separately. Anyone find this also? Normal?

Running Windows XP SP2
Firefox 1.0.4
P4-3.0 w/1 gig RAM
Cable ISP - 4gb speed

More about : user profile firefox freezing issue

September 14, 2005 11:35:43 PM

"" wrote:
> This may be a Mozilla issue but it may also be a XP User
> Profile issue.
>
> When I right click on a photo and select "Save Image As"
> Firefox freezes and
> Windows "This program is not responding..." dialog comes on.
> This is a
> recent new problem. Saving jpgs has always worked fine in the
> past. Program
> closes and works fine on restart (except for "Save Image As").
> Another User
> has no trouble with the issue. I suspect this may be a shared
> program issue.
> I also posted this in Netscape group.
>
> Any ideas what is causing this?
>
> Something similar also occurs with AVG antivirus. It has to be
> upgraded in
> each user profile separately. Anyone find this also? Normal?
>
> Running Windows XP SP2
> Firefox 1.0.4
> P4-3.0 w/1 gig RAM
> Cable ISP - 4gb speed

To start with, your version of firefox is out of date. Second, if you
have installed any new extensions or themes, this is most lilkly the
casue.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-User-Profile-Fir...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1408560
September 15, 2005 11:52:08 AM

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > This may be a Mozilla issue but it may also be a XP User
> > Profile issue.
> >
> > When I right click on a photo and select "Save Image As"
> > Firefox freezes and
> > Windows "This program is not responding..." dialog comes on.
> > This is a
> > recent new problem. Saving jpgs has always worked fine in the
> > past. Program
> > closes and works fine on restart (except for "Save Image As").
> > Another User
> > has no trouble with the issue. I suspect this may be a shared
> > program issue.
> > I also posted this in Netscape group.
> >
> > Any ideas what is causing this?
> >
> > Something similar also occurs with AVG antivirus. It has to be
> > upgraded in
> > each user profile separately. Anyone find this also? Normal?
> >
> > Running Windows XP SP2
> > Firefox 1.0.4
> > P4-3.0 w/1 gig RAM
> > Cable ISP - 4gb speed
>
> To start with, your version of firefox is out of date. Second, if you
> have installed any new extensions or themes, this is most lilkly the
> casue.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-User-Profile-Fir...

Thanks Sparda. I just updated to version 1.0.6 (thanks for the heads up) but
still the same problem. I have not added any new themes or extensions since
my last upgrade to v 1.0.4.
Very strange....
Related resources
September 15, 2005 9:18:59 PM

"BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in message

> "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>> "" wrote:
>> > This may be a Mozilla issue but it may also be a XP User
>> > Profile issue.
>> >
>> > When I right click on a photo and select "Save Image As"
>> > Firefox freezes and
>> > Windows "This program is not responding..." dialog comes on.
>> > This is a
>> > recent new problem. Saving jpgs has always worked fine in the
>> > past. Program
>> > closes and works fine on restart (except for "Save Image As").
>> > Another User
>> > has no trouble with the issue. I suspect this may be a shared
>> > program issue.
>> > I also posted this in Netscape group.
>> >
>> > Any ideas what is causing this?
>> >
>> > Something similar also occurs with AVG antivirus. It has to be
>> > upgraded in
>> > each user profile separately. Anyone find this also? Normal?
>> >
>> > Running Windows XP SP2
>> > Firefox 1.0.4
>> > P4-3.0 w/1 gig RAM
>> > Cable ISP - 4gb speed
>>
>> To start with, your version of firefox is out of date. Second, if you
>> have installed any new extensions or themes, this is most lilkly the
>> casue.
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-User-Profile-Fir...
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1408560
>
> Thanks Sparda. I just updated to version 1.0.6 (thanks for the heads up)
> but still the same problem. I have not added any new themes or extensions
> since my last upgrade to v 1.0.4.
> Very strange....

Firefox will freeze in this way (and also in downloads, save link as, etc)
if the last file folder used is inaccessible, moved, or changed. In my case
the last image saved was saved by another user from Firefox to a folder on a
network computer that was not connected to the network when I was using it.
The problem was solved by:
Entering about:config in the url line
Finding the Browser.download.LastFile line (which was set to the network
drive)
Right click and "Reset"

NOT A WINDOWS PROBLEM.
We can all stick this in our bag of tricks.
September 17, 2005 11:47:44 AM

"Sparda" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

> > on.
> > the
> > As").
> > shared

> > to be
> > Normal?

> > > To start with, your version of firefox is out of date.
> > Second, if you
> > > have installed any new extensions or themes, this is most
> > lilkly the
> > > casue.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > > request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> > standards
> > > Topic URL:
> > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Customize-User-Profile-Fir...
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> > abuse:
> > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1408560
> >
> > Thanks Sparda. I just updated to version 1.0.6 (thanks for the
> > heads up) but
> > still the same problem. I have not added any new themes or
> > extensions since
> > my last upgrade to v 1.0.4.
> > Very strange....
>
> what you could try is clearing your profile, keeping a backup
> obviusly, and see if that fixes it, Fairly easy to do, find your
> profiles folder, should be some thing like C:D ocuments and
> SettingsSpardaApplication DataMozillaFirefoxProfiles, in there
> there should be a folder with a strange nonsencical name. You are to
> copy this folder and past it, so you will have a folder called "Copy
> of *strangeness*" this is your back up, then delete the first profile
> folder. The make a folder of EXACLY (case sensative) the same name.
> Now when firefox starts it will (or should) make a clean profile, if
> this fixes it, that means there was some thing wrong with the old
> profile. The you can import things like bookmarks and stuff from the
> "copy of *stangename*" to the new one.

> http://www.usenet.com

Hey Sparda.
Thanks for the thought and the help but I solved the problem. (I posted a
thing?)
Anyway, here is the text of that reply:
***
Firefox will freeze in this way (and also in downloads, save link as, etc)
if the last file folder used is inaccessible, moved, or changed. In my case
the last image saved was saved by another user from Firefox to a folder on a
network computer that was not connected to the network when I was using it.
The problem was solved by:
Entering about:config in the url line
Finding the Browser.download.LastFile line (which was set to the network
drive)
Right click and "Reset"

NOT A WINDOWS PROBLEM.
We can all stick this in our bag of tricks.
***
I wasted a lot of time doing exactly the kind of things you mentioned
(before I read your post) because that what they say to do on Mozilla's FAQ
before I realized that the moral of the story is NEVER HAVE CHILDREN!!!

Thanks again for your help.
!