HDMI text fuzzy; VGA works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorter

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
So I have a 32" LG 32LD400 which I use for my monitor hooked up to my XFX HD5770.
I currently use a VGA cable with a DVI adapter on the GPU's end, but I want to switch to HDMI for the sound and less cable clutter. The HDTV's native resolution is 1080p, which is what everything is set to.
I set the label for HDMI to PC, and it makes the color look a bit better but everything is still fuzzy.
I went through the TV's setting and nothing fixes it. I went through CCC and messed with all the settings there and nothing works. Scaling is at 0%, pixel format is full RGB 4:4:4. Refresh rate is set at 60, but it lists the "Maximum Reported Refresh Rate" at 75. LCD overdrive is off, GPU scaling is off, ITC processing is enabled. I've used two new HDMI cables and an HDMI-DVI cable so the cable isn't the problem. Drivers are completely up to date (12.6).

Text with HDMI:
H1CSR.jpg

Text with VGA-DVI:
L0ABw.jpg

Solution
It is most likely post processing occurring on the hdmi input, i would look around and see if you can disable any post processing.

it could also be a scaling problem, try setting your tv to just scan and display the input instead of a setting of say 16:9

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I have a different, older Toshiba TV that I've used with HDMI for a few years now, and I found that the sharpness setting when using a PC via HDMI required the sharpness to be at zero for text to be crisp. The TV's normal sharpness setting for comfortable viewing is 50 (out of 100).

HTH

Ian

vorter

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

I've tried adjusting sharpness with no PC label but it doesn't work.
The PC label locks it at 60, too.

It is most likely post processing occurring on the hdmi input, i would look around and see if you can disable any post processing.

it could also be a scaling problem, try setting your tv to just scan and display the input instead of a setting of say 16:9

Solution

vorter

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

I dont know where the post processing option is on the TV/CCC if there is one, as I've looked through it already.

My TV has no option of Just Scan. Flipping through the aspect ratios it just gives me 16:9 and 4:3.

EDIT: There is a Just Scan option, along with Set By Program, Zoom, and Cinema Zoom, but all of them area greyed out.

vorter

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

I checked the advanced options on my TV and there are some options like that, but they are all off. (I have tried turning them on, doesn't do much).

vorter

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

The ClearType?
I already tried that, didn't work.

It's not only the text, the color looks off too. Not sure how to describe it, but it's not at nice as VGA.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Some TV's just have really bad image processing on HDMI
I have had hit and miss luck using TV on HDMI on a PC, one of my TV's works perfectly and looks great the other one is utter *** on HDMI (on VGA or DVI input its fine but HDMI is terrible)

Over/under scan is often not at 0% by default when using HDMI with TV's in particular. Check to make sure there is no under or over scanning or scaling in the CCC. You may also need to go into your TV settings to make sure its input is not set to do any scaling and takes direct input. You may also have MLAA enabled in the CCC 3D Settings, which will make text blurry.

vorter

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

Overscan is set to 0% (Far right) in CCC, and TV is set to 16:9 (Only other choice is 4:3 in PC mode).

I found "SMOOTHVISION-HD", but it is under 3D Applications settings.
Would that effect it at all?

dingo07

Distinguished
There's sooo many options it could be, I can't possibly point you in the right direction to pinpoint the correct one - you're just going to have to try them all out, going through every menu possible in both the TV and CCC and see what works. If Nothing works and you've exhausted all menu options in both, it may be hardware that's causing it, and the only way to fix that would be to enter the Service Code for the TV and change options at the hardware level - if that's even an option for your model.

Other than that, I can only suggest this- which is software that taps into what I just described, if possible, based on your hardware...
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Recently I switched to HDMI and I experienced the same problem. Overscan was the cause for my problem. It was set to 15% by itself. I took it to 0% and text blurriness was corrected.

I have Radeon HD 6850 on LED 22 inch monitor.

Maybe your overscan setting does not hold. Restart your PC and check again if the setting remains at 0%. You may also try to re-tune Windows cleartype setting and change display adapter frequency to 59 Hz rather than 60 Hz. Is your TV 120 Hz or higher ? Have you tinkered with AA settings to see if these improve things ?

EDIT: Looking at your screenshots, my eyes cannot detect any fuzziness in HDMI connection. They look the same. Maybe I should use magnifying glass to see it.

dan1331

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I'm confused, is the video card scaling it or is the TV? Where should scaling be disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.