No internet after installing new GPU (GTS 450)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Hello dear community,

So I bought the Palit GeFroce GTS 450 DDR3, when it finally arrived I unboxed it and then removed my old GPU card (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE) to replace it with the Palit GeForce GTS 450. When I turned on my PC everything seemd to go normal, but then when everything started and I came to the start screen I noticed that I had no internet anymore. While all my other PC's had internet. It said: No cable is connected, while it was! So that's really wierd.. I then looked on google for solutions but nothing worked!
Even when I've put my old card back in it still said I had no internet. 1 day later when I woke up and I started my PC the internet wa suprisinly back. Which is REALLY wierd. I'm afraid to replace th cards again :S.

So I thought: Could it maybe be because of the Power Supply? My current Power Supply has 400W, while the GTS 450 also requirs 400W. Could this perhaps cause the internet problems?

So if THAT IS the problem, then could you also tell me if this Power Supply is good enough to hold a GTS 450?

http://www.pixmania-pro.nl/nl/nl/09668252/art/advance/pc-voeding-mpt-6500-650-w.html I know the price looks suspecious, but I think it's good, right?

Some basic information about my PC:

system
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

manufacturer MEDIONPC
Model MS-7255
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
Computer type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
Suitable for 64-bit Yes

storage
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Total size of hard disk / drive 233 GB
Disk partition (C : ) 19 GB available (213 GB total)
Disk partition (D : ) 15 GB available (20 GB total)
MediaStation (H : ) CD / DVD
Media Station (Q : ) CD / DVDCD / DVD

graphic display

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE
Total available graphics memory 895 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Allocated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 767 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.11.9745
Main screen resolution of 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or newer

network

Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I already did that. That didn't work. Just right after I installed the video card my internet just stopped working. I asume I just need a new Power Supply?

I really need help on this one, because I'm playing my whole life with a bad graphic card and finally once in my life I had the oppurtunity to buy a new graphic card and now this happens.. Anyone that can help me on this one would really do me such a big favour! :(

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
well, that's the problem.. I DON'T know if it's because of the power supply, that's why I'm asking if people know what the problem might be, so if it IS because of the power supply then I'd buy the one in the link. really don't know what to do anymore :(

Hi - Can't tell for sure, but the ethernet port isn't far from the pci-e express slot
on my mobo. Is it possible while installing the gpu that you accidently slipped &
made contact with either the ethernet card or a spot on the mobo?, and thereby
shorted it.

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Uhm, that should not be the problem, right? I mean.. my Ethernet is protected with a steel box so it should not be removed. Maybe it's my motherboard? Too old or something? here it is: MS-7255.

@@@@>>>EDIT!!!!: So I thought: Could it maybe be because of the Power Supply? My current Power Supply has 400W, while the GTS 450 also requirs 400W. Could this perhaps cause the internet problems?

I meant the GTS 450 requirs 107 (W) not 400! Sorry for this!!<<<<@@@@@

If your PSU is bad, then you will have other problems besides the ethernet
connection.

I suspect either the ethernet has quit or there is a short on
the mobo.

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
So there is nothing wrong with my Motherboard? It's not too old or such? Cuz my PC came out in 2007 and this graphic card came out in 2006-2007. So nothing from with my motherboard? So you'll recommend to just try to get a new PS and that's it? I think this http://www.pixmania-pro.nl/nl/nl/09668252/art/advance/pc-voeding-mpt-6500-650-w.html#tab-fiche one wil do it, right? 650(W) +3.3V - 42 A ¦ +5VSB - 2 A ¦ +12V - 20 A ¦ +12V2 - 20 A ¦ -12V - 0.8 A ¦ +5V - 50 A ¦ -5V - 0.5 A

Thank you all for the posts, atleast some1 replys. Please stay looking at this page I really want to play on a good graphic card just once in my life :(.

Hi again - if you look at my post - I believe it probably is your motherboard (mobo),
or ethernet quit, that if it were a bad psu, you would have other issues.
I think mobo is more likely.

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
hi,

wel,l how did you know that my motherboard could be a problem? Is it too old or does it have bad specs? just curious why my mobo could be the problem.
thank you.

I don't know for sure (educated guess), but all is working except your ethernet,
so it's not psu or ram, sort of leaves bad ethernet or something wrong with
mobo.

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I think I'm going to take a break now, I need some sleep. Please don't leave this page! I know from experience that people leave pages and never come back. I will keep you up to date what I'm further experiencing with my PC tomorrow, but please don't leave this page.

I'll check back in, I'll be on the forum much less this weekend tho.
But, will still be on from time to time.

I am interested in how your dilemma unfolds.

Problems with a legacy VIA chipset motherboard from that era doesn't surprise me at all. It was always a pain to try to get everything to play well together.

I remember having to go into the BIOS setup and manually reserve IRQs for new or existing devices or they would not be detected (i.e. disappear) because of a conflict with another device that just happened to grab the same IRQ and wouldn't allow it to be shared.

I chalked that up to a poor resource allocation algorithm in the BIOS.

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
So ko888, IT IS possible to play with my GTS 450 on this PC, right? I'll get a 650W power supply soon anyway. So please tell me that it is possible to play on my PC.

And could you tell me what I exactly have to do to fix this problem? Didn't really understand everything you said. Thank you already. :)

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

So ko888, IT IS possible to play with my GTS 450 on this PC, right? I'll get a 650W power supply soon anyway. So please tell me that it is possible to play on my PC.

And could you tell me what I exactly have to do to fix this problem? Didn't really understand everything you said. Thank you already. :)

amarguy100

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

That's all the information I could possibly get, I don't know which information YOU need, but this is all I could find.. :S (used everest) And the file is in English so you should be able to read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.