Sign in with
Your question

No internet after installing new GPU (GTS 450)

Last response: in Components
February 15, 2013 12:06:06 PM

Hello dear community,

So I bought the Palit GeFroce GTS 450 DDR3, when it finally arrived I unboxed it and then removed my old GPU card (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE) to replace it with the Palit GeForce GTS 450. When I turned on my PC everything seemd to go normal, but then when everything started and I came to the start screen I noticed that I had no internet anymore. While all my other PC's had internet. It said: No cable is connected, while it was! So that's really wierd.. I then looked on google for solutions but nothing worked!
Even when I've put my old card back in it still said I had no internet. 1 day later when I woke up and I started my PC the internet wa suprisinly back. Which is REALLY wierd. I'm afraid to replace th cards again :S.

So I thought: Could it maybe be because of the Power Supply? My current Power Supply has 400W, while the GTS 450 also requirs 400W. Could this perhaps cause the internet problems?

So if THAT IS the problem, then could you also tell me if this Power Supply is good enough to hold a GTS 450?

http://www.pixmania-pro.nl/nl/nl/09668252/art/advance/p... I know the price looks suspecious, but I think it's good, right?

Some basic information about my PC:

system
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

manufacturer MEDIONPC
Model MS-7255
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
Computer type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
Suitable for 64-bit Yes

storage
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Total size of hard disk / drive 233 GB
Disk partition (C : ) 19 GB available (213 GB total)
Disk partition (D : ) 15 GB available (20 GB total)
MediaStation (H : ) CD / DVD
Media Station (Q : ) CD / DVDCD / DVD

graphic display

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE
Total available graphics memory 895 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Allocated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 767 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.11.9745
Main screen resolution of 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or newer

network

Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:50:47 PM

installing a videocard has nothing to do with ur network card. restart ur modem.

February 15, 2013 2:18:21 PM

I already did that. That didn't work. Just right after I installed the video card my internet just stopped working. I asume I just need a new Power Supply?

I really need help on this one, because I'm playing my whole life with a bad graphic card and finally once in my life I had the oppurtunity to buy a new graphic card and now this happens.. Anyone that can help me on this one would really do me such a big favour! :( 
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 3:43:32 PM

have you tried a different powersupply or videocard?

February 15, 2013 3:54:01 PM

well, that's the problem.. I DON'T know if it's because of the power supply, that's why I'm asking if people know what the problem might be, so if it IS because of the power supply then I'd buy the one in the link. really don't know what to do anymore :( 
a c 307 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 3:56:21 PM

amarguy100 said:
Hello dear community,

So I bought the Palit GeFroce GTS 450 DDR3, when it finally arrived I unboxed it and then removed my old GPU card (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE) to replace it with the Palit GeForce GTS 450. When I turned on my PC everything seemd to go normal, but then when everything started and I came to the start screen I noticed that I had no internet anymore. While all my other PC's had internet. It said: No cable is connected, while it was! So that's really wierd.. I then looked on google for solutions but nothing worked!
Even when I've put my old card back in it still said I had no internet. 1 day later when I woke up and I started my PC the internet wa suprisinly back. Which is REALLY wierd. I'm afraid to replace th cards again :S.

So I thought: Could it maybe be because of the Power Supply? My current Power Supply has 400W, while the GTS 450 also requirs 400W. Could this perhaps cause the internet problems?

So if THAT IS the problem, then could you also tell me if this Power Supply is good enough to hold a GTS 450?

http://www.pixmania-pro.nl/nl/nl/09668252/art/advance/p... I know the price looks suspecious, but I think it's good, right?

Some basic information about my PC:

system

manufacturer MEDIONPC
Model MS-7255
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
Computer type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
Suitable for 64-bit Yes

storage

Total size of hard disk / drive 233 GB
Disk partition (C : ) 19 GB available (213 GB total)
Disk partition (D : ) 15 GB available (20 GB total)
MediaStation (H : ) CD / DVD
Media Station (Q : ) CD / DVDCD / DVD

graphic display

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE
Total available graphics memory 895 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Allocated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 767 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.11.9745
Main screen resolution of 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or newer

network

Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter

Hi - Can't tell for sure, but the ethernet port isn't far from the pci-e express slot
on my mobo. Is it possible while installing the gpu that you accidently slipped &
made contact with either the ethernet card or a spot on the mobo?, and thereby
shorted it.

February 15, 2013 5:17:25 PM

Uhm, that should not be the problem, right? I mean.. my Ethernet is protected with a steel box so it should not be removed. Maybe it's my motherboard? Too old or something? here it is: MS-7255.

@@@@>>>EDIT!!!!: So I thought: Could it maybe be because of the Power Supply? My current Power Supply has 400W, while the GTS 450 also requirs 400W. Could this perhaps cause the internet problems?

I meant the GTS 450 requirs 107 (W) not 400! Sorry for this!!<<<<@@@@@
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 5:18:18 PM

try a different ps and comeback with the results

a c 307 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 5:20:41 PM

amarguy100 said:
Uhm, that should not be the problem, right? I mean.. my Ethernet is protected with a steel box so it should not be removed. Maybe it's my motherboard? Too old or something? here it is: MS-7255.

@@@@>>>EDIT!!!!: So I thought: Could it maybe be because of the Power Supply? My current Power Supply has 400W, while the GTS 450 also requirs 400W. Could this perhaps cause the internet problems?

I meant the GTS 450 requirs 107 (W) not 400! Sorry for this!!<<<<@@@@@

If your PSU is bad, then you will have other problems besides the ethernet
connection.

I suspect either the ethernet has quit or there is a short on
the mobo.
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 5:23:32 PM

good call +1

February 15, 2013 5:57:59 PM

So there is nothing wrong with my Motherboard? It's not too old or such? Cuz my PC came out in 2007 and this graphic card came out in 2006-2007. So nothing from with my motherboard? So you'll recommend to just try to get a new PS and that's it? I think this http://www.pixmania-pro.nl/nl/nl/09668252/art/advance/p... one wil do it, right? 650(W) +3.3V - 42 A ¦ +5VSB - 2 A ¦ +12V - 20 A ¦ +12V2 - 20 A ¦ -12V - 0.8 A ¦ +5V - 50 A ¦ -5V - 0.5 A

Thank you all for the posts, atleast some1 replys. Please stay looking at this page I really want to play on a good graphic card just once in my life :( .
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 6:02:00 PM

no, not necesseraly i got a motherboard thats a year old and has issues, somethimes things just start to act funny.

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 6:02:17 PM

if you dont know whats wrong id recommand to get it fixed locally by a shop where u live.

a c 307 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 6:07:30 PM

amarguy100 said:
So there is nothing wrong with my Motherboard? It's not too old or such? Cuz my PC came out in 2007 and this graphic card came out in 2006-2007. So nothing from with my motherboard? So you'll recommend to just try to get a new PS and that's it? I think this http://www.pixmania-pro.nl/nl/nl/09668252/art/advance/p... one wil do it, right? 650(W) +3.3V - 42 A ¦ +5VSB - 2 A ¦ +12V - 20 A ¦ +12V2 - 20 A ¦ -12V - 0.8 A ¦ +5V - 50 A ¦ -5V - 0.5 A

Thank you all for the posts, atleast some1 replys. Please stay looking at this page I really want to play on a good graphic card just once in my life :( .

Hi again - if you look at my post - I believe it probably is your motherboard (mobo),
or ethernet quit, that if it were a bad psu, you would have other issues.
I think mobo is more likely.
February 15, 2013 6:17:49 PM

hi,

wel,l how did you know that my motherboard could be a problem? Is it too old or does it have bad specs? just curious why my mobo could be the problem.
thank you.
a c 307 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 6:48:53 PM

amarguy100 said:
hi,

wel,l how did you know that my motherboard could be a problem? Is it too old or does it have bad specs? just curious why my mobo could be the problem.
thank you.

I don't know for sure (educated guess), but all is working except your ethernet,
so it's not psu or ram, sort of leaves bad ethernet or something wrong with
mobo.
February 15, 2013 6:57:29 PM

I think I'm going to take a break now, I need some sleep. Please don't leave this page! I know from experience that people leave pages and never come back. I will keep you up to date what I'm further experiencing with my PC tomorrow, but please don't leave this page.
a c 307 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 7:09:27 PM

amarguy100 said:
I think I'm going to take a break now, I need some sleep. Please don't leave this page! I know from experience that people leave pages and never come back. I will keep you up to date what I'm further experiencing with my PC tomorrow, but please don't leave this page.

I'll check back in, I'll be on the forum much less this weekend tho.
But, will still be on from time to time.

I am interested in how your dilemma unfolds.
a c 1203 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 7:50:37 PM

Problems with a legacy VIA chipset motherboard from that era doesn't surprise me at all. It was always a pain to try to get everything to play well together.

I remember having to go into the BIOS setup and manually reserve IRQs for new or existing devices or they would not be detected (i.e. disappear) because of a conflict with another device that just happened to grab the same IRQ and wouldn't allow it to be shared.

I chalked that up to a poor resource allocation algorithm in the BIOS.
February 16, 2013 7:20:47 AM

So ko888, IT IS possible to play with my GTS 450 on this PC, right? I'll get a 650W power supply soon anyway. So please tell me that it is possible to play on my PC.

And could you tell me what I exactly have to do to fix this problem? Didn't really understand everything you said. Thank you already. :) 
February 16, 2013 9:53:09 AM

ko888 said:
Problems with a legacy VIA chipset motherboard from that era doesn't surprise me at all. It was always a pain to try to get everything to play well together.

I remember having to go into the BIOS setup and manually reserve IRQs for new or existing devices or they would not be detected (i.e. disappear) because of a conflict with another device that just happened to grab the same IRQ and wouldn't allow it to be shared.

I chalked that up to a poor resource allocation algorithm in the BIOS.

So ko888, IT IS possible to play with my GTS 450 on this PC, right? I'll get a 650W power supply soon anyway. So please tell me that it is possible to play on my PC.

And could you tell me what I exactly have to do to fix this problem? Didn't really understand everything you said. Thank you already. :) 
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 2:43:12 PM

whats your full exact specs.

a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 3:43:49 PM

i cant read this lol.

i need to know whats in ur pc box.

February 16, 2013 3:51:04 PM

iceclock said:
i cant read this lol.

i need to know whats in ur pc box.

That's all the information I could possibly get, I don't know which information YOU need, but this is all I could find.. :S (used everest) And the file is in English so you should be able to read it?
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 4:08:37 PM

cpu. ram. motherboard. powersupply. hard-drive. case. videocard

a c 1203 ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 4:51:25 PM

You also need to provide the same reports but produced with the Palit GeForce GTS 450 installed so that the resource allocation differences can be determined.

The Everest report should have a .htm file extension in its file name not the .txt that you used.
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 5:11:24 PM

good info

February 16, 2013 5:19:11 PM

iceclock said:
cpu. ram. motherboard. powersupply. hard-drive. case. videocard

CPU:
DualCore Intel Pentium D, 2800 MHz (Presler)

RAM:
2045 MB

Motherboard:
* Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
* Product MS-7255

Power Supply:
Not sure, but I believe maximum output is 400W, if that helps you

HDD:
WDC WD2500AAJS-00L7A0 ATA Device 212 GB total

Videocard:
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE

Better now? :p 
February 16, 2013 5:32:50 PM

ko888 said:
You also need to provide the same reports but produced with the Palit GeForce GTS 450 installed so that the resource allocation differences can be determined.

The Everest report should have a .htm file extension in its file name not the .txt that you used.

If I put the new card again in, will it not make the same problem again? Like I lose my internet. But this time Windows might not be able to return it by itself...

I should note that what I did was get new card, open computer, replaced card, turned on computer, saw no internet so I couldnt download new drivers, put back old card in to return the internet and download drivers, noticed no internet at all even on old card... Internet returned 'on its own' after few restarts. So basically I didnt install new drivers nor did I delete old ones.
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 6:03:02 PM

u need to delete old and new drivers. than install the card. also switching to a new videocard doesnt affect ur network drivers. it may be possible theres an issue with ur onboard network card.

a c 1203 ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 7:13:50 PM

amarguy100 said:
If I put the new card again in, will it not make the same problem again? Like I lose my internet. But this time Windows might not be able to return it by itself...

I should note that what I did was get new card, open computer, replaced card, turned on computer, saw no internet so I couldnt download new drivers, put back old card in to return the internet and download drivers, noticed no internet at all even on old card... Internet returned 'on its own' after few restarts. So basically I didnt install new drivers nor did I delete old ones.

It takes a lot of trial and error to get some of these legacy VIA chipset motherboards working properly.

Sometimes you even have to clear the CMOS and or NVRAM so that any new hardware changes get re-enumerated or you'll run into hardware resource allocation (i.e. IRQs, memory mapped I/O address ranges) conflicts that cause the type of problem that you are experiencing.
February 16, 2013 7:20:30 PM

sounds silly, but have you tried another ethernet cable?
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 3:16:52 AM

yea good idea
February 17, 2013 7:21:28 AM

I'll try it all again, I'll let you guys know what happend, stay on this page please. :) 
February 17, 2013 9:58:38 AM

ko888 said:
It takes a lot of trial and error to get some of these legacy VIA chipset motherboards working properly.

Sometimes you even have to clear the CMOS and or NVRAM so that any new hardware changes get re-enumerated or you'll run into hardware resource allocation (i.e. IRQs, memory mapped I/O address ranges) conflicts that cause the type of problem that you are experiencing.

That still sounds too difficult to understand for me, so can you please make me a step plan with what I exactly need to do? And can you also explain what CMOS and NVRAM is?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. New ethernet cable is pointless now, because I have internet. That's what I meant with Windows solving the internet problem automatically for me.
February 17, 2013 12:30:26 PM

hi there
its been known for guys to lose their network port when overclocking .. however ive not heard it occur when installing a new video card...
in the old days we used to have problems with irq conficts when two components or peripherals would be allocated the same irq(interupt request ) ... you then had to manually change the irq,s .. however allthough irq,s are still used windows 7 seems to sort these out automatically
go in device manager and check :
1) the properties for your nic(network interface card ) .... and if theres a error code then look this up online ....
2) have you a spare network card ( ethernet card ) ... install this in a spare pci slot and disable ( if needed ) the onboard nic
i can remember a old agp motherboard were the same thing happened to me .... and i added a network card into a spare pci slot ... never had a problem after that
thats why many pc enthusiasts wont use onboard components ( audio,lan ect ) since they not only use cpu resources but are less reliable and prone to issues
hope this helps
February 17, 2013 2:02:45 PM

if your internet is back working, why not just try to put the vid card back in check if it works, if it doesn't and it knocks out your internet (which is really weird and usually unheard of) return it/sell it/ us it as a coaster {=^.^=}
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 11:24:13 PM

are u running on stock.

February 19, 2013 3:36:14 PM

I'm going to test all things out, please remember this page. Thank you. :love: 
a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2013 9:57:02 PM

excellent. pm me if u need more help
!