Need Advice on AMD or Intel Build < 1000$ Newbie

Can someone give me an advice? I really want the 660ti so I decided to go AMD...

AMD Build:

CPU: Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz Black Edition (Going to Overclock)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master (Hyper TX3 Evo)
MOBO: Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
GPU: Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstream 2gb/192bit
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP (Dual) 2x4gb ddr3 1600 CL9 (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 60GB 2.5" SATA III
CASE: NZXT Tempest 210 + bought also fans
PSU: already have 650w psu

I'll wait and see AMD's next gen procies, if they're as good as Intel's I'll stay AMD if not change to Intel in future..

If I go Intel

Intel Build:

CPU: Intel i5 3570k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master (Hyper TX3 Evo) maybe none just the stock one
MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 or Asrock Pro 3 or Asrock Pro 4 M
GPU: Radeon HD 8770 or Palit GTX 660 or GTX 550TI
RAM:Corsair Vengeance LP (Dual) 2x4gb ddr3 1600 CL9 (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
CASE: NZXT Tempest 210 + bought also fans or the one first mentioned in my very first post

I won't be able to buy SSD for intel build, it will take some time.. If i get asrock extreme 4 I'll just get HD 7770 or 550TI if the pro 3 or pro 4 m I can get the gtx 660...

As you can see I'm in a Dilemma, getting a good GPU w ssd or ok GPU with no ssd
Any advice please?
Thank you.
17 answers Last reply
More about need advice intel build 1000 newbie
  1. you could go i3, i3-2100 is better for gaming then an x4 and still keeps your price down. unfortunately you cannot OC the i3. i would get an i3, a less expensive motherboard [think of the features you absolutely need and the ones that are a maybe or no and thatll help you decide]
  2. good processor you can still afford your good graphics card but you might have to scrap an ssd for now.
  3. ok so you already have the psu and picked out the case(could you tell me the price of case+the fans)and no you don't need to go amd also what psu do you have
  4. What if:

CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 3.3GHz (Dual Core) Ivy Bridge --- New!
    CPU Cooler: None since no overclocking
    MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 (for future upgrade)
    GPU: Palit GTX 660TI Jetstream
    RAM:Corsair Vengeance LP (Dual) 2x4gb ddr3 1600 CL9 (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
    CASE: NZXT Tempest 210 + bought also fans or the one first mentioned in my very first post
    SSD: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 60GB 2.5" SATA III

What about this one? I can afford the SSD with i3 :)) Fortunately

Will i3 really worth it by performace/price? than phenom II x4 965 Black Edition, I've read good reviews about this cpu and overclocking to 4.0ghz or more...
  5. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j8oa with an i5 and a 660Ti and just add the price of your case and i can make it cheaper if you are not overclocking and if the price of the case goes over your budget
  6. Corsair TX-M 650watts (TX650M v2) 80Plus Bronze

Deepcool Ice Blade 120mm, Black

Case + Fans = 63$ = 2867 Php...
  7. looks good to me!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

any sandy or ivy bridge i3 is better for gaming than a x4 965 plus the i3 is better for everything else
  8. I will use it for gaming (Hon, BF3, AC3 when it comes out, Borderlands 2 etc..), video editing, photoshop, movies and entertainment...

My current specs are:

ASUS P5KPLAM-SE
    INTEL DUAL CORE @ 1.6GHZ (EACH OR I FORGOT WHAT THIS THING'S MODEL IS)
    GEFORCE 9500GT
    2GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    ETC..
  9. borderlands 2 is out? but the system that i built is your best bet because it has an i5 and a 660Ti
  10. AMD also hasn't released new processors... LOL, THERE'S NO PALIT BRAND IN US... I WONDER WHERE IN ASIA THAT 660TI JETSTREAM WAS MADE..

will it be bad if i get a h77 mobo? and increase SSD capacity?

if not, what H77 bords can you suggest?
  11. in my country yes.. [evil smile]

i cannot afford i5 + 660ti given my budget here..

will an i3 do the job? also will an i3 + ssd make my computer boot faster?
  12. empty213 said:
    AMD also hasn't released new processors... LOL, THERE'S NO PALIT BRAND IN US... I WONDER WHERE IN ASIA THAT 660TI JETSTREAM WAS MADE..

they are not bad you just can't overclock your cpu at all
    and any asus/gigabyte/asrock boards are usually the best brands just don't skimp out on it
  13. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j8uh here is a build without the psu since you already have it and a nice H77 motherboard
    all for $863 plus the cost of the case
  14. i wish i live in US.. so easy to buy stuff.. :(

thnx guy's ill post again later/tomorrow....
  15. what do you think of AMD Bulldozer FX 8120 3.1ghz (Black Edition) + Asrock 970 Extreme 4
  16. i5 and higher end i3's beat the 8120 the only thing it's good at is at video editing
  17. empty213 said:
    AMD also hasn't released new processors... LOL, THERE'S NO PALIT BRAND IN US... I WONDER WHERE IN ASIA THAT 660TI JETSTREAM WAS MADE..

actually trinity just came out a few hours ago, all are up for order on newegg
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Intel AMD Systems