Start Up Programs

Hi,

My computer is taking far too long to start up, I used to have Windows me
and I alterted the start up settings so that only the required programs
started upon start up. But I can not seem to find the correct options for
altering this in XP.

For example I have about 20 items in my system tray (by the clock) at start
up and I do not use them all!!)

So I would appreciate any help with this please!
Thanks
Susan
1 answer Last reply
More about start programs

    In news:39365F4B-A232-418B-965C-B974AEF411B2@microsoft.com,
    susanmcorless <susanmcorless@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > My computer is taking far too long to start up, I used to have
    > Windows me and I alterted the start up settings so that only
    > the
    > required programs started upon start up. But I can not seem to
    > find
    > the correct options for altering this in XP.
    >
    > For example I have about 20 items in my system tray (by the
    > clock) at
    > start up and I do not use them all!!)
    >
    > So I would appreciate any help with this please!

    My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how
    long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the
    computer's speed is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth
    worrying about. Most people start their computers once a day or
    even less frequently. In the overall scheme of things, even a few
    minutes to start up isn't very important. Personally I power on
    my computer when I get up in the morning, then go get my coffee.
    When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long it
    took to boot and I don't care.

    However if you want to address the programs that start
    automatically, read below:

    First, note that you should be concerned with *all* programs that
    start automatically, not just with those that go into the tray.
    Not all autostarting programs manifest themselves by an icon in
    the tray.

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
    actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
    icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If
    that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on
    the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
    automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
    these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
    should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
    you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
    time. You can get more information about these at
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
    there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Configuration Customization Windows XP