Photo Program

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 28, 2005 1:55:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Here is a great program if you haven't already heard about it. It can't
be surpassed for emailing photo. I have throw some big ones at it and all
were sent great and fast. http://wwwpicasa.com it's a Google sponsored.
Some will like it, some will not. Try it, you may.

More about : photo program

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:33:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

In article <10vjhecsljfbk53@corp.supernews.com>, "BobH" <huntr@cox.net>
wrote:

> Here is a great program if you haven't already heard about it.
> It can't be surpassed for emailing photo. I have throw some big
> ones at it and all were sent great and fast.
> http://wwwpicasa.com it's a Google sponsored. Some will like it,
> some will not. Try it, you may.

I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com&gt; 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
January 28, 2005 6:38:11 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <10vjhecsljfbk53@corp.supernews.com>, "BobH"
> <huntr@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Here is a great program if you haven't already heard about it.
>> It can't be surpassed for emailing photo. I have throw some big
>> ones at it and all were sent great and fast.
>> http://wwwpicasa.com it's a Google sponsored. Some will like it,
>> some will not. Try it, you may.
>

> I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers.

Does it perhaps work with the Mac's PC emulator?

David
January 29, 2005 1:40:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

In article <35v4j4F4s65lsU1@individual.net>, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article <10vjhecsljfbk53@corp.supernews.com>, "BobH"
> > <huntr@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Here is a great program if you haven't already heard about it.
> >> It can't be surpassed for emailing photo. I have throw some big
> >> ones at it and all were sent great and fast.
> >> http://wwwpicasa.com it's a Google sponsored. Some will like it,
> >> some will not. Try it, you may.
> >

> > I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers.
>
> Does it perhaps work with the Mac's PC emulator?
>
> David

Don't know. I don't have a PC emulator.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com&gt; 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
January 29, 2005 7:21:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

"I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers".

How many years have Macintosh users been saying that phrase?

"Melba's Jammin'" <thisisbogus@macbogus.com> wrote in message
> In article <35v4j4F4s65lsU1@individual.net>, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> > I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers.
>>
>> Does it perhaps work with the Mac's PC emulator?
>>
>> David
>
> Don't know. I don't have a PC emulator.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com&gt; 2005 Pirohy Marathon pics added 1-23-05.
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:37:53 AM

BobH wrote:
> "I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers".
>
> How many years have Macintosh users been saying that phrase?

I don't know, but now you can get emulators Mac users can run almost all
the PC software they like, so they must have the best of both worlds!

David
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:18:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Emulators are by their nature slow, buggy, and work only with a VERY small
subset of programs available for the emulated OS. Only a masochist would
use a program in emulated mode rather than using an equivalent program
written for the native mode OS.

That being said, Picasa is clearly aimed at the casual user or the beginner.
Even though I'm a PC guy, I'm reasonably certain there are PLENTY of Mac
programs aimed at this segment of the MAC market.

The Mac doesn't need this program, though I wouldn't be surprised to learn
that in 6 months or so, Google produces a Mac version. Heck, the PC doesn't
need this program either. Everyone and their brother (along with their
dog!) has produced something like it.

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> BobH wrote:
> > "I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers".
> >
> > How many years have Macintosh users been saying that phrase?
>
> I don't know, but now you can get emulators Mac users can run almost all
> the PC software they like, so they must have the best of both worlds!
>
> David

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:05:02 PM

JunkMonkey wrote:
> Emulators are by their nature slow, buggy, and work only with a VERY
> small subset of programs available for the emulated OS.

This used to be true, but things have improved a lot in recent years. I
believe the PC emulator for the Mac is supposed to be pretty good, but
I've not used it myself.

> Only a
> masochist would use a program in emulated mode rather than using an
> equivalent program written for the native mode OS.

Yes, there may be a performance penalty, but that may be better than
having to learn an entire new program for something which is not a primary
work function.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:13:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:18:40 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
<Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote:

>Emulators are by their nature slow, buggy, and work only with a VERY small
>subset of programs available for the emulated OS. Only a masochist would
>use a program in emulated mode rather than using an equivalent program
>written for the native mode OS.
>
>That being said, Picasa is clearly aimed at the casual user or the beginner.
>Even though I'm a PC guy, I'm reasonably certain there are PLENTY of Mac
>programs aimed at this segment of the MAC market.

Is GIMP available for the Mac? It's freeware and quite powerful.

Gary J Sibio
garysibio@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/

I need a trepaning like I need a hole in my head.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:30:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Toomas

<garysibio@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:fctsv0thivc2sue5k2obc346kuod41g94q@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:18:40 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
> <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote:
>

> Is GIMP available for the Mac? It's freeware and quite powerful.
>

> Gary J Sibio
> garysibio@earthlink.net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/
>
> I need a trepaning like I need a hole in my head.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:45:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Gimp is a photo editor aimed at people willing to put in the time to learn a
difficult and quirky piece of software (it's a good editor, but let's call a
spade a spade - it's quirky as all hell and every bit as difficult to learn
as Photoshop).

Picasa is a photo organizer aimed at casual users and beginners that does
(VERY) simple editing. Recommending GIMP for this type of user will choke
all the joy out of their digiphoto experience and convince them digital
photography is just too hard for them to do.

Sometimes, GIMP is not the answer. (While I'm thinking about it, this goes
for Irfanview as well.)

Mac users who want something like Picasa have plenty of good options, no
need to send them off on a difficult tangent!

<garysibio@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:18:40 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
> <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote:
>
> >Emulators are by their nature slow, buggy, and work only with a VERY
small
> >subset of programs available for the emulated OS. Only a masochist would
> >use a program in emulated mode rather than using an equivalent program
> >written for the native mode OS.
> >
> >That being said, Picasa is clearly aimed at the casual user or the
beginner.
> >Even though I'm a PC guy, I'm reasonably certain there are PLENTY of Mac
> >programs aimed at this segment of the MAC market.
>
> Is GIMP available for the Mac? It's freeware and quite powerful.
>

> Gary J Sibio
> garysibio@earthlink.net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/
>
> I need a trepaning like I need a hole in my head.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:45:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

"JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote:

> Sometimes, GIMP is not the answer. (While I'm thinking about it,
> this goes for Irfanview as well.)

What's wrong with Irfanview? It's one of the most useful pieces of
freeware available. It does all the basic stuff for photo editing -
crop, resize, brightness/contrast, red-eye removal, etc.

--
Martin S.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Nothing is wrong with Irfanview, just read the entire post.
"MartinS" <me@my.place> wrote in message
> "JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote:
>
> > Sometimes, GIMP is not the answer. (While I'm thinking about it,
> > this goes for Irfanview as well.)
>
> What's wrong with Irfanview? It's one of the most useful pieces of
> freeware available. It does all the basic stuff for photo editing -
> crop, resize, brightness/contrast, red-eye removal, etc.
>
> --
> Martin S.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:08:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

In article <10vo337bhtpr733@corp.supernews.com>, "BobH" <huntr@cox.net>
wrote:

> "I'd consider it if it were compatible with Macintosh computers".
>
> How many years have Macintosh users been saying that phrase?

I've no idea. What's your point?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com&gt; Winter Carnival ice sculpture pics
added 1-30-05.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

In article <41fedd50$0$62685$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net>,
MartinS <me@my.place> wrote:

> "JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote:
>
> > Sometimes, GIMP is not the answer. (While I'm thinking about it,
> > this goes for Irfanview as well.)
>
> What's wrong with Irfanview? It's one of the most useful pieces of
> freeware available. It does all the basic stuff for photo editing -
> crop, resize, brightness/contrast, red-eye removal, etc.

Just to note that if that basic stuff is all that's needed - iPhoto
which comes bundled free with every Mac has all that and more.

The "move up" would be Graphic Converter - which adds MUCH more
capability and is proven, robust shareware.

And if you need serious photo retouching, Photoshop arguably started the
industry on the Mac platform - before spreading out into the PC world.

FWIW
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:52:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Well, might as well plug another freeware photo editing program. I have
used it with good results. Vicman at:

http://www.photo-editor.net/

"JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote in message
> Gimp is a photo editor aimed at people willing to put in the time to learn
> difficult and quirky piece of software (it's a good editor, but let's call
> spade a spade - it's quirky as all hell and every bit as difficult to
> learn
> as Photoshop).
>
> Picasa is a photo organizer aimed at casual users and beginners that does
> (VERY) simple editing. Recommending GIMP for this type of user will choke
> all the joy out of their digiphoto experience and convince them digital
> photography is just too hard for them to do.
>
> Sometimes, GIMP is not the answer. (While I'm thinking about it, this
> goes
> for Irfanview as well.)
>
> Mac users who want something like Picasa have plenty of good options, no
> need to send them off on a difficult tangent!
>
> <garysibio@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:18:40 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
>> <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote:
>>
>> >Emulators are by their nature slow, buggy, and work only with a VERY
> small
>> >subset of programs available for the emulated OS. Only a masochist
>> >would
>> >use a program in emulated mode rather than using an equivalent program
>> >written for the native mode OS.
>> >
>> >That being said, Picasa is clearly aimed at the casual user or the
> beginner.
>> >Even though I'm a PC guy, I'm reasonably certain there are PLENTY of Mac
>> >programs aimed at this segment of the MAC market.
>>
>> Is GIMP available for the Mac? It's freeware and quite powerful.
>>

>> Gary J Sibio
>> garysibio@earthlink.net
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~garysibio/
>>
>> I need a trepaning like I need a hole in my head.

Anonymous
March 26, 2011 11:45:44 AM

:)
!