Pick me a PSU!

Step it up to the 750 watt core edition.

http://www.ebuyer.com/413806-xfx-proseries-750w-power-supply-unit-core-edition-p1-750s-nlb9

It cost less and will provide more watts. Also it's 80+ bronze certified.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_core_edition/11.htm - Review of it.

Quotes:

- "The XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies performed very well across the range"

- "If you are in the market for a high quality wired power supply, at a fair price, then I highly recommend any of the XFX Pro Series Core Edition units. I have no hesitation in awarding all three XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies the OCC Gold award."

conthejedi

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies! Majority vote seems to be XFX so far!

@lostgamer_03 : that's a great find, I didn't see that one! Cheaper and more watts - is there a catch? Otherwise I think I'm sold

conthejedi

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Ah I see, I have heard good things about modular PSU's, but equally I have a big case so excess cables shouldn't be a big problem!

I'm thinking the extra 100W!

There is no catch except of being modular, I'm using the pro series 650 watt and it's powering my sytem with watercooling, lots of fans, an i5-3570 and a GTX 670 with a lot of watts left for more fans or HDDs/SSDs if I would desire, I even can't hear if it's on or off.

Specifcations of the two are almost similar except of the wattage difference. :)

If you have a decent case wires will be no problem.

Higher wattage means lower usage with his current rig, which means lower noise.

More watts means he could SLI/CF in the future or add more HDDs/SDDs, fans, water cooling, dual-GPU, higher overclocking you name it.

It's like buying a cake. There is a small and a big that cost about the same, the bigger taste exactly the same as the small one. I would pick the big cake even though I might not eat it all right now, just because I want more for my hard earned money. I could then throw it in the fridge and then eat more later one, if I'd desire.

PC power usage will be the same. Lower noise, probably. Less heat, probably.

conthejedi

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Well if I wasn't sold before, the cake example has well and truly won!