Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Antec
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 15, 2013 1:25:23 PM

I'm choosing between;

Antec 620W High Current Gamer - £70.26

http://www.ebuyer.com/246651-antec-620w-high-current-ga...

XFX XXX Edition 650W - £77.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/413807-xfx-xxx-edition-650w-power...

Both are 80 Plus Bronze, both have plenty of watts, so what do we reckon?

Thanks!

More about : pick psu

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:28:46 PM

xfx bar-none. made by seasonic one of the best powersupply makers of today.

xfx 650 +1

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:30:01 PM

i say otherwise. antec quality is decent but cant compete with seasonic quality.

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:34:52 PM

Step it up to the 750 watt core edition.

http://www.ebuyer.com/413806-xfx-proseries-750w-power-s...

It cost less and will provide more watts. Also it's 80+ bronze certified.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_core_editio... - Review of it.

Quotes:

- "The XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies performed very well across the range"

- "If you are in the market for a high quality wired power supply, at a fair price, then I highly recommend any of the XFX Pro Series Core Edition units. I have no hesitation in awarding all three XFX Pro Series Core Edition power supplies the OCC Gold award."
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:38:14 PM

yes its obvious its made by seasonic mate +1 :p 

February 15, 2013 1:43:41 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! Majority vote seems to be XFX so far!

@lostgamer_03 : that's a great find, I didn't see that one! Cheaper and more watts - is there a catch? Otherwise I think I'm sold
a c 502 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:44:29 PM

iceclock said:
i say otherwise. antec quality is decent but cant compete with seasonic quality.

The Antec hcg620 is made by SEASONIC
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:44:36 PM

there is a difference. the xxx edition is modular and the 750 isnt.

:) 

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:45:28 PM

interesting dint know that toy thanks for telling me.

talt seasonic stopped making ps for antec after the neo line.

and green line a while back

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:46:33 PM

same psu as the SeaSonic S12II 620.

rebadged is all as uve said.

good find.

February 15, 2013 1:52:15 PM

iceclock said:
there is a difference. the xxx edition is modular and the 750 isnt.

:) 

Ah I see, I have heard good things about modular PSU's, but equally I have a big case so excess cables shouldn't be a big problem!

I'm thinking the extra 100W!
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 1:53:03 PM

well for airflow would make a difference and would be alot less tangled. but its your choice.

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 2:04:38 PM

conthejedi said:
Thanks for the quick replies! Majority vote seems to be XFX so far!

@lostgamer_03 : that's a great find, I didn't see that one! Cheaper and more watts - is there a catch? Otherwise I think I'm sold

There is no catch except of being modular, I'm using the pro series 650 watt and it's powering my sytem with watercooling, lots of fans, an i5-3570 and a GTX 670 with a lot of watts left for more fans or HDDs/SSDs if I would desire, I even can't hear if it's on or off.

Specifcations of the two are almost similar except of the wattage difference. :) 

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 2:08:28 PM

well i prefer 100watts less anyday. less wires all over the place and better airflow. tbh but its up to u if 100watts is really that important.

a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 2:47:47 PM

iceclock said:
well i prefer 100watts less anyday. less wires all over the place and better airflow. tbh but its up to u if 100watts is really that important.

If you have a decent case wires will be no problem.

Higher wattage means lower usage with his current rig, which means lower noise.

More watts means he could SLI/CF in the future or add more HDDs/SDDs, fans, water cooling, dual-GPU, higher overclocking you name it.

It's like buying a cake. There is a small and a big that cost about the same, the bigger taste exactly the same as the small one. I would pick the big cake even though I might not eat it all right now, just because I want more for my hard earned money. I could then throw it in the fridge and then eat more later one, if I'd desire.
a c 502 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 3:49:15 PM

lostgamer_03 said:

Higher wattage means lower usage - (not true) with his current rig, which means lower noise.

More watts means he could SLI/CF in the future or add more HDDs/SDDs, fans, water cooling, dual-GPU, higher overclocking you name it.

It's like buying a cake. There is a small and a big that cost about the same, the bigger taste exactly the same as the small one. I would pick the big cake even though I might not eat it all right now, just because I want more for my hard earned money. I could then throw it in the fridge and then eat more later one, if I'd desire.

PC power usage will be the same. Lower noise, probably. Less heat, probably.
February 15, 2013 4:16:52 PM

lostgamer_03 said:

Higher wattage means lower usage with his current rig, which means lower noise.

Well if I wasn't sold before, the cake example has well and truly won!
a b ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 4:18:38 PM

well its up to u. but getting more power than required isnt logical. unless u plan on sli-ing a 670 or a 7950 in crossfire no need for 750.

your pc only uses as much power as it needs.