Could I have a bad CPU?

dan7734

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
My computer runs stable doing non-taxing stuff. I first noticed that there was a problem when playing Civ5, the computer would reset often (no BSOD). Doing a few things to try to fix Civ5 didn't help. The CPU/GPU Temperatures seemed within normal limits. The graphics card handled FurMark just fine. However, when I try the OCCT CPU stress test, it resets almost immediately. It also reset after some time on the power supply test. Then I got to wondering about memory (I originally had bad memory, but it resulted in system hangs, not resets), and memtest on this new memory won't run for more than 2 or 3 passes before it resets the system. I'm not sure how to narrow it down from here. Thanks.

Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz
ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155
G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V
Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Asus VS239H-P 23.0"

Solution

The brand is great and low voltage is fine as long as the board supports it. You just have had bad luck or G-skill had...

dan7734

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Oh, of course. It's the stock Intel cooler, so no, not the greatest quality. I'm at work, so I don't have the exact specs right now, but I didn't notice any over-heating while playing Civ5. I don't remember the CPU going above 60, and it idles in the low 30s I believe. I wanted to see the temps with the CPU stress test, but it resets the system.

dan7734

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Okay, I tried runnin prime95, and it caused a restart immediately, just like trying to use the OCCT CPU test. I ran scandisk, and it found no errors. I'm not sure whether to blame the CPU, the mobo, or the PSU.

I would love to know how you got that number. The 7850s do not use alot of power at all.

That being said this could still be a bad power supply. Those are the kind of errors they throw out there.

What is the voltage to the CPU and memory? Are you sure you have the timing set right?

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Measured power consumption R7850
1.System in IDLE = 160W
2.System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 256W
3.Difference (GPU load) = 96W
4.Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
5.Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 106 Watts

Yeah, 256watts isn't that much at all. s/

I used the power supply calculator: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

you can try another if you prefer, but I tend to go 100watts minimum over the recommendation. If you don't use it you won't use it, but it's better to have the extra head room.

256W is for the whole system. The GPU is around 100W which is not alot for a video card. So where did you get your 527W?

dan7734

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I was wondering if the PSU is under powered. I bought the RAM because it is specifically supported by ASRock. I got bad RAM to begin with. If I got bad RAM again, I'm going to let loose a few expletives. I do agree, however, it's worth testing a stick at a time again. And it is set to 1.25V. Thanks guys. Will update.

dan7734

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
So it turned out to be a bad RAM stick. The system seems completely stable with one stick in. Doesn't matter which slot, either, so hopefully that rules out the mobo. The bad RAM would cause resets in both slots. I tried running prime95 and furmark at the same time, with no resets. I'm hoping that the PSU handling both the CPU and the graphics card going full blast at the same time means the PSU is okay.

This is the second time in a row I've gotten bad RAM. What are the chances? Should I go with a different manufacturer? Should I not get the low voltage RAM? This RAM was explicitly supported by ASRock.

The brand is great and low voltage is fine as long as the board supports it. You just have had bad luck or G-skill had a bad batch. It is hard to say. Any of the manufacturers that offer lifetime are great (Corsair, Kingston, Munchkin etc). It does not have to be on the manufacturer's list as long as it is the same type of what is accepted

Example: If they say Kingston 1.5V DDR3 PC-1600 9-9-9-27 and you get Corsair 1.5V DDR3 PC-1600 9-9-9-27 you are usually fine.

I would just get another set of G-Skill. Make sure you return both if they were dual channel.

Solution

dan7734

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Cool, I'll go ahead and RMA the RAM and shop around a little. Thanks everyone for the help!

Dan