• New Build
  • Battlefield
  • RAM
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2012 3:53:02 PM

Hello everyone!

So i just purchased a new videocard for playing BF3, (Gigabyte GeForce GTX660 OC Windforce) and put it in a old gaming PC i had.

From before it had:
Intel core 2 duo E8500 @ 3.00GHz
2*1GB DDR2 RAM (of this type http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

So the problem is the PC is still lagging on BF3, But the lag is almost just as horrible on Low settings as it is on high/ultra. And it almost never lags if i play on a almost empty server. Is it the CPU or the RAM that i need to change? I realize that i probably need to change both... but i really cant afford a new CPU atm, and wonder if upgrading my RAM only will fix alteast some of the lag?

Thanks and sorry for my english and noobishness...

More about : ram processor upgrade

October 2, 2012 4:06:58 PM

Bottleneck.

The E8500 REALLY isn't that powerful to handle the 660OC Windforce. Should've gone with a 550 instead.
October 2, 2012 4:21:39 PM

arzbhatia said:
Bottleneck.

The E8500 REALLY isn't that powerful to handle the 660OC Windforce. Should've gone with a 550 instead.

So upgrading to 4gb ram wont effect the performance? Its the processor thats bottlenecking? :( 
Related resources
October 2, 2012 5:00:55 PM

It's not so much the processor bottlenecking the graphics card as it's BF3 needing a strong quad core CPU on multiplayer maps. The dual core processor just can't handle the game. Even overclocking will not help.

4 to 8GB of RAM is pretty much the minimum for a gaming computer. I really don't think that will help your current issue very much though.
October 2, 2012 5:07:35 PM

I would see buying more DDR2 RAM, or buying another LGA775 CPU, as throwing good money out the window. Sadly your best bet is probably to save what you can and get a new CPU/Mobo/RAM together; you could try looking around ebay, or asking a friend who is upgrading soon, to get a used mobo/ram/cpu combo on the cheap.
October 2, 2012 5:09:47 PM

If the ram you're using is DDR3 then buy a new kit.Preferrably an 8GB one.This will eliminate most of the lag but as the others said the game really needs a quad to run well in multiplayer.
And you should NOT have gotten a GTX 550 Ti as it's a terrible buy.There are better, newer cards you can get for less.
October 2, 2012 5:31:53 PM

Kamen_BG said:
If the ram you're using is DDR3 then buy a new kit.Preferrably an 8GB one.This will eliminate most of the lag but as the others said the game really needs a quad to run well in multiplayer.
And you should NOT have gotten a GTX 550 Ti as it's a terrible buy.There are better, newer cards you can get for less.

It is DDR2 :/  And i got the GTX 660?

@anort3 So i need to get a quad core.. Would something like this do the job? http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500-Quad-Core-Processor...

Thanks for all the answers guys really healping me out :) 
October 2, 2012 5:43:37 PM

The i5 2500/2500K are amazing processors. Get the "K" model so you can overclock. You will need a new motherboard and RAM as well when you upgrade.
October 2, 2012 6:27:26 PM

Thanks for the replies :) 
So i think i will be upgradeing the rest of my PC.. say an i5-2500k prosecsor etc.. But my main problem now is which motherboard i need.. I need one who suports LGA-1155 sockets and DDR3 memory and can fit in my PC.

here is a link to the sales article of my PC: its in Norwgian unfortunately but it has pictures of the cabinet.

I also got the name of the motherboard i have now "ASUS V-P5KPL-AM/PS" which i think can be seen here: http://in.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5KPLA...

Any motherboard upgrade recomendations? :) 

Thanks for help guys! :) 
October 2, 2012 8:32:40 PM

Since I don't read Norwegian I can just give you a good general list.

Asus or Gigabyte Z77 chipset motherboard.

Either the 2500K or 3750K CPU. Really get the 3750K unless the 2500K is a lot cheaper. It will probably not overclock quite as high as a 2500K but it's slightly faster clock for clock to make up for it and it's newer.

A CPU cooler for overclocking like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. It's a good one and cheap.

At least 8GB ( 2 x 4GB ) of either Corsair low profile Vengance or GSkill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 cas 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v. Make sure if you get Corsair it's the low profile stuff or it will get in the way of an aftermaket CPU cooler. Any GSkill will fit as is.

Also what power supply are you using?
October 3, 2012 4:31:21 AM

anort3 said:
Since I don't read Norwegian I can just give you a good general list.

Asus or Gigabyte Z77 chipset motherboard.

Either the 2500K or 3750K CPU. Really get the 3750K unless the 2500K is a lot cheaper. It will probably not overclock quite as high as a 2500K but it's slightly faster clock for clock to make up for it and it's newer.

A CPU cooler for overclocking like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. It's a good one and cheap.

At least 8GB ( 2 x 4GB ) of either Corsair low profile Vengance or GSkill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 cas 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v. Make sure if you get Corsair it's the low profile stuff or it will get in the way of an aftermaket CPU cooler. Any GSkill will fit as is.

Also what power supply are you using?

Yeah, i ended up getting a 2500K as they were quite much cheaper here :) 
I also got a new mother board to put it all on :) 

Thanks for all the help here :) 
!