My GFX Card might be heating up too much.

BelinGB

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I have a Zotac GTX 560 Ti, it runs at about 40ºC idle. As soon as I open up a game, say Smite or Starcraft 2, the Fans start going at like 2800RPM(Idle being 1200RPM~ and the GFX Card temperature raises up to 75ºC (Not even playing the game, just sitting on the menu.)
Is there something wrong with my graphics card? I've had this computer for around a month, and it didn't use to do this, it kept running cool.
Suggestions?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Check the fan speed. Use MSI Afterburner or EVGA precision X to find out the fan speed percent. Bring it up to 60% and see if temps lowered during gaming.

What case are you using (with number of fans)?

What is your room temperature?

BelinGB

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

I am using the Commander MSI case with 2 fans.
I've been using Afterburner lately, messing around with fan settings and what not and still no change, and if I make them go slow the GFX card just heats up too much, and if I make them really fast it can't stop the card from heating.
The temperature in my room should be around 18-24ºC

BelinGB

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

Every other component seems to be working fine. How do I know if the cooler needs to be re-seated?

You don't know until you re-seat it and switch out the TIM to see if the situation improves. Also, make sure that no other hot component is blowing hot air towards the video card.

BelinGB

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

So, I should take it out and place it back in? (Sorry if I dont get it at first, english isn't my first language lol. Also, "switch out the TIM"? What's that?

TIM is thermal interface material such as thermal pads (might be on the RAM chips and the VRM) and the thermal paste (should be some on the GPU itself). What you would do is remove the cooler and replace the paste with new, high quality paste and if the RAM chips and any other such components have any TIM on them, you replace that as well. Once that is done, you reattach the cooler properly. If you choose to do this, then be sure to be careful and be aware that this might void the warranty. You might want to first try an RMA if you still have a warranty just to be safe.