Sign in with
Your question

Fan intake / exhaust

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2012 4:29:25 PM

Hi,

Sorry for what will be a silly question:

I want to buy this BitFenix Spectre PRO 230mm Fan. I've not installed fans before but I have read that the part of the fan with the "plastic structure" is the back / the "unobstructed" blades is the front.

So if screw it in with the unobstructed part facing out of the case = > will that instake air into the case (going out the back structured part)? Basically is the side shown in this picture the intake side?: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/popup_image.php?prodid=FG...

Cheers for any guidance!

More about : fan intake exhaust

October 2, 2012 4:51:00 PM

the front is the Intake of the fan and the back is the Exhaust

to answer your question, Yes, the side pictured is the Intake
October 2, 2012 4:53:28 PM

Just look on the side of the fan all the way around on one side there is always two arrows one tells you which way the fan is spinning the other shows which way the air flows.

thent
Related resources
October 2, 2012 7:55:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm planning to get a 230mm intake and a 160mm exhaust. Is that good or should I match both fans, i.e, two 160mm fans as intake and exhaust / get a larger exhaust fan than intake? What is the rule of thumb if that makes sense?
October 2, 2012 8:24:18 PM

you should have the same CFM going in as you do going out- if you have one intake 120mm fan that has 90CFM, you essentially can have 3 fans that have 30 CFM each exhausting
October 2, 2012 8:29:15 PM

dingo07 said:
you should have the same CFM going in as you do going out- if you have one intake 120mm fan that has 90CFM, you essentially can have 3 fans that have 30 CFM each exhausting

Okay that makes sense. I've adjusted my list to 2 x 140mm; 1 for intake the other for exhaust =)
!