NEW BUILD PROBLEMS HELP!

wafutom

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hey guys, so first off Im not a n00b, Ive built systems before, but this time I have become unstuck.

Here is the spec

AMD Athlon Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition CPU (with Stock cooler)
Gigabyte GA970A-UD3 Motherboard
Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz Dual Channel 8GB RAM
Coolermaster GX LITE 700W PSU
ASUS HD6670 Radeon Graphics Card
Corsair Force 60GB SSD
Seagate Barracude 1TB, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache HDD
TP LINK Wireless lan card 802.11b/g/n
2 x SAMSUNG DVD drives

CASE : Phantom 410 Mid Tower

Problem : the pc is completely unresponsive, I plug everything in and press the start button but nothing, its like the motherboard isnt even getting power to it

UPDATE : THEN about 5 minutes ago, I changed the PWR_FAN connection by moving it to the left one place, there are 3 pins on the PWR_FAN connection on the motherboard but 4 holes in the connector for the PSU, and now it starts for a split second then dies.....soooooo I dunno.... :(

So far I have tried this

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-13-read-posting-boot-video-problems.

Checking my POWER SW / RESET SW etc are correct way round.
Checking standoffs.
using alternate power cables.
using alternate mains sockets.
using alternate 2x4PIN power connectors for 12v ATX CPU connector on motherboard.
Double and triple checking everything is tight and pushed in.
Ive also checked the manuals to make sure I did everything correctly.
Checking for short circuit

after I had the problem I removed everything and re installed in accordance with the forum guide above, but still no joy.

Please help, as I am building this for a friend and I have already bought the parts myself. any suggestions would be appreciated

Kind Regards
Phil

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
If your not hitting POST then pretty much anything in your case, and even the case itself could be the problem. I would check to see if the power switch connector isnt bad by jumping the mobo with a screwdriver, paperclip, ect..., just connect the two power pins on the mobo with something metal and see if it starts up. You can breadbox it (set it up outside your case on top of the cardboard box the mobo came in) and see if its case related.

wafutom

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

Hi Jones, thank you for your reply :) I tried this, and again, as per my updated section the fans come on for a split second then nothing :( Still no power on the board, I know the psu is getting power because 1) the fans light up for a second then die and 2) when I flick the switch on the PSU my room lap dimmers ever so slightly for about a split second...hoping this isnt related but not sure

Any other ideas? all welcome :)+

Kind Regards
Phil

wafutom

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply :)

I tried that but, still the same as before, just getting the system fans coming on for a split second then nothing :(

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
when I flick the switch on the PSU my room lap dimmers ever so slightly for about a split second...hoping this isnt related but not sure

hmmmmm.... Are you plugging it diresctly into the wall outlet or is it getting dirty power from a strip? Do you have a lot of electrical appliances going, im talking more than normal like 10 or 12? Then again it could be the power supply...... i just looked and saw it was a coolermaster, which makes pretty crapping PSU's. IF you have another PC laying around you wouldn't mind cannibalizing the PSU from and giving it a go you could at least rule out the PSU.

For future builds i reccomend picking PSU's from this list http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
as you can see your PSU is rated tier 4 (higher is worst and there are only 5 tiers)

wafutom

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hi Jones, once again thank you for replying.

So yes, I think it is a faulty psu. its a clean supply from a wall outlet.

I also tried jumping the PWR ON and GND connections ont he 24PIN ATX connector and with no ther drives connected via SATA the system fans and leds boot up full speed, but no cpu or graphics card

I also tried kicking, screaming, crying, praying, comfort eating and furious self relief, but also to no avail.

Im really worried that during my testing ive fried something else, because, I mean we've all been there, build a pc, doesnt turn on and its something so bloody simple sometimes, but If the PSU has fried something surely thats warranty fault if the unit is faulty,a nd Im very annoyed because I ´m actually in germany and I used a website called www.alternate.de for the PSU and they had really good ratings for it.

But thank you for all your help, Im going to a pc shop today to test the PSU and try an alternate to see what happens.

Cheers
Phil

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I also tried kicking, screaming, crying, praying, comfort eating and furious self relief, but also to no avail.

If not the kicking and screaming, i was sure the comfort eating would get it but ehhhh, lmao.

Let us know if the alternate psu worked, as for buying a new one if you got the $$$$ or whatever you use for $$$$$ over in Germany, i would get either corsair or seasonic, i like the Corsair HX series, i think most of them are semi-modular. I would also bookmark that forum thread that has the tier list or copy it to notepad for future builds, I bought a DIY pc combo for cheap without looking at the PSU and three minutes of load and it was smoking, yeah i cried.

wafutom

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
AAah not so good, however the problem escalates. So I tried, disconnecting all the Drives from SATA,then I jumped the connections on the 24PIN ATX connector, (the green cable to the GND) then turned it on and the system fans would run at full speed with the LEDs but still no CPU or Graphics card fan, THEN I tried re connecting all the Drives (4 in total) and then this time the fans wouldnt work properly and the LED was intermittent. so today I tired a test PSU from a PC shop, a 400W, no drives connected and still nothing, but then there was only 1 4 pin connector for the 12V ATX connection so I dunno if that was it but hmm...I really don't want to ohave to put it int he shop, but as I just moved here I don't have any test equipment so, Im still 95% convinced its the PSU but a litle bit concerned maybe the mobo?

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Boo.... I like troubleshooting just not my own stuff, lol. Does the back of the mobo show any discoloration or damaging of the traces? Do any capacitors look malformed?

IDK if only a 4 pin in an 8 pin aux setup would cause it to flat out not boot, but it seems kind of unlikely. Did the PC shop not have any 8 pin aux PSU's on their test bench? I guess it wouldn't make sense unless they sell the higher end stuff.

If this is a new build and everything is new/newish I'd just RMA all three PSU, CPU, and Mobo. Its got to be one of those. Finding out which one exactly is going to be the chore.