Sign in with
Your question

1200$ Core i-5,GTX 270 gaming build I'm ordering.Will you take a look?

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2012 4:43:21 PM

Hello all,

This is going to be the second gaming computer I've built. My rig right now is about 5 years old, my intel E8500 and gtx 260 just aren't cutting it anymore. Since it's been a while I hoped a couple of you all could take a look at this build and make sure there aren't any corrections needed. Any input is greatly appreciated!

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Possibly x2?

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III SSD

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 I may go SLI with another 670 in the next couple of months.

COOLER MASTER HAF 932

Also, any recommendations on cpu cooling? Fans & heatsinks vs Liquid cooling? Is it even needed on this rig?

And BTW, I've no need for HDD's or disc drives, I've got plenty already.

If this all looks fine and dandy I'm going to order it this afternoon, woohoo!

Thanks for your time! :hello: 
October 2, 2012 4:54:40 PM

Nice build... I dont see any particular problems with it. You can go with a Coolermaster hyper 212+ or similar for cooling and still get a decent overclock out of it if you want.

Someone else i'm sure will chime in on liquid cooling, but really unless you are trying to max Overclock that chip, its not worth the cost or trouble to water cool.

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 6:23:31 PM

Looks great. Add the 212 and your good to go.
m
l
October 2, 2012 7:50:06 PM

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback guys. I added the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 to my order and just hit purchase. I'm ready to get my game on! And a heads up, my GTX 670 came with a free copy of Borderlands 2.
m
l
October 2, 2012 7:54:31 PM

lakejoftis said:
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback guys. I added the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 to my order and just hit purchase. I'm ready to get my game on! And a heads up, my GTX 670 came with a free copy of Borderlands 2.

Congrats on your new build!

One thing: I see you have x2 marked beside your RAM kit. It'd be better to just go ahead and buy the 4x4GB or 2x8GB Kit of that RAM as opposed to putting two different kits together on one board.

P.S. The Borderlands 2 coupon is a limited-time free bundle with Nvidia 600 series cards and up.
m
l
October 2, 2012 8:12:08 PM

Youngster,

Thanks man! Since these are 4GB sticks couldn't I order another pair of the same if I feel I need it? Or should you order 16GB Kits? I've never had a comp with more than 4GB of ram (I know, embarrassing.)
m
l
October 2, 2012 10:37:12 PM

lakejoftis said:
Youngster,

Thanks man! Since these are 4GB sticks couldn't I order another pair of the same if I feel I need it? Or should you order 16GB Kits? I've never had a comp with more than 4GB of ram (I know, embarrassing.)

Yes, you could always order another kit, but what I'm saying (in fact the RAM manufacturers are saying too!) is that it is better to get 4 DIMMS from the same physical kit (as they are manufactured and packaged together). If you buy a different kit, regardless of the fact that its the same as the original, you don't know when they were manufactured, and they may not perform as well.

Just some advice, ultimately its up to you - buying another kit of the same RAM, or even different sized/speed RAM will work.
m
l
October 2, 2012 10:40:28 PM

And no worries, I just put a new build together yesterday, and it was the first time I had more than 4GB of RAM.

This is the kit I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I managed to snag it for ~$75 from another vendor and didn't have to pay any shipping either. Newegg isn't particularly friendly for us eskimos north of the border :D 
m
l
!