Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power Supply Unit compatible with Motherboard?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Compatibility
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 15, 2013 2:43:50 PM

:D 

More about : power supply unit compatible motherboard

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2013 2:55:31 PM

It has the connectors you need, but Cooler Master isn't that good for psus, and that one says it can only deliver 360W of its rated 450W through the +12V rails, so you might be cutting it close on that requirement. Also, your motherboard appears to be from HP, indicating it's part of a prebuilt computer. Is the power supply it has now a standard ATX size or is it smaller to fit a slim tower?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2013 3:06:03 PM

The motherboard specs don't prove anything about the physical size of the psu - even mini-itx motherboards use atx power connectors.
m
l
February 15, 2013 3:23:15 PM

Correction: standard ATX power supply connection. I made no claim about the size of the power supply just the type of connector.
That is the biggest thing to look for when upgrading prebuilt machines. They are getting better but still tend to use proprietary parts, even proprietary parts that look like standard parts. That was the case with power supplies for a long time, they looked standard but would have wires switched so if you plugged a standard ATX PSU in, boom, dead mobo and possibly PSU.
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:25:44 AM

So I should upgrade my motherboard first?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 3:46:20 AM

If it uses a proprietary power supply with wires switched, connecting a standard motherboard to it could be just as bad as connecting a standard psu to your current motherboard. However, the specs list ATX power connectors, so I don't think you have to worry about proprietary psu wiring.

Could you provide the full model number of your prebuilt computer and/or a picture? I'm concerned about whether your case would be able to take a standard atx-sized psu.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 12:50:22 PM

Based on the wire colors, I'd say that's a standard ATX power connector. According to HP, that Compaq model is sold in India. See if you can find a psu that's in Tier 1 or 2 here:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
According to the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro, the recommended psu wattage for your system with a standard hd 6670 is 216W with 13.8 amps on the +12V rail.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:05:18 PM

Actually when I was in India for few months, I bought that PC thats why. So I can buy Tier 1 or 2 PSU? :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2013 1:16:32 PM

Yeah, although if you're in the US now, I don't know where you were planning to buy a Cooler Master Thunder 450W psu. It doesn't show up in a google shopping search.
m
l
February 16, 2013 2:24:19 PM

Thnx alot for this all info. Very very grateful to you. :D 
m
l
February 16, 2013 2:24:32 PM

Thnx alot for this all info. Very very grateful to you. :D 
m
l
February 16, 2013 2:29:28 PM

Best answer selected by Jeremy9093.