Feb 10, 2013
I just finished building a computer with the following components:

Motherboard ---- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU ---- i7-3770K
CPU Cooler ---- Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer
Memory ---- GSkill 4 x 8GB 2400
PSU ---- Corsair TX650 650W
WATER COOLER TT| CLW0215 R

I noticed the CPU fan running really fast as soon as I powered it on before installing the OS so I went into the BIOS to check the CPU temperature. It was 88 Celsius. I then removed the CPU cooler ad reseated it to make sure it was well seated on the CPU. The CPU cooler comes with a Y cable to split the CPU fan power because it has two 120mm fans. I removed the Y cable and plugged one fan into the CPU fan power and the other fan into a system fan power (just to make sure the cpu fan power isn't being stressed or anything). Now that the CPU cooler was well seated I powered on the computer and went directly to the BIOS to monitor the temperature. I watched the CPU temperature slowly rise from 35 Celsius to 82 Celsius in about 10 minutes.

This is my first computer build but I was so careful to follow all the directions and do everything properly, what could be causing this? The only thing I see left is to perhaps try the generic CPU cooler that came with the unit to see if it's a cooler/seating issue or applying some CPU paste.

What is your voltage set at? At normal speeds the Intel® Core™ i7-3770K runs cool. So if the cooler is seated well and you have good thermal paste; I would start to check the check the temperatures by using a program like HWMonitor to check to make sure you are not getting bad readings. Next check the voltage on the processor to make sure that it isnt running high. I would expect 82°C to be what you would see with the processor overclocked and voltage set to be around 1.2v+.

jaideep1337

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
yeah download and try multiple programs like core temp, speedfan and others. Also touch the heatsink and see if it feels hot to touch when the cpu shows 80' C or so.

Redirecting your case airflow might also be a good idea.

Simply replace your CPU cooler and make sure it's tightened up real good. Use a pea-sized drop of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU. Make sure when you replace the CPU cooler that you tighten it in balanced, so the cooler comes atsflat down at the CPU as possible. So tighten the first screw a little, then the opposite, then the other, then the opposite of that one and so on. Keep doing so until you can't tighten the screws anymore. Using the thermal paste that came with the cooler is more than sufficient, all that talk about thermal paste isn't really such a big deal. You will however get slightly better temperatures with quality thermal paste as the Noctua NT-H1, which is even better than Arctic Silver 5.

I made a mistake installing my seidon 120m and had to reinstall it 3 times, because I used too much thermal paste and didn't tighten it balanced. Good luck, mate.

timbilt

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
SOLVED!

I replaced the Water 2.0 with the stock CPU cooler and the average idle temperature was 37 Celsius. So at that point I was sure it was something to do with the CPU cooler. So then I put back the Water 2.0 and had a thought... "am I plugging it in properly?". I then recalled a video I'd watched a few days ago before my product arrived --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-nRkeGN2jc.

In the video the guy says to make sure you plug the CPU cooler into the CPU fan or any 4-pin system fan. Now the unit comes with two 120mm fans and the radiator.

PROBLEM WAS: I plugged the Y connector into the CPU fan port on the motherboard and plugged the two 120mm fans into the other end (that was right). I then plugged the radiator (which has 3 pins) into a 3-pin port about 1 inch from the CPU fan (THAT WAS WRONG!). I don't know what that 3-pin port is, but it's not for the radiator or a fan.

FIX: I removed the Y connector from the CPU fan and plugged it into a system fan port. I then connected the radiator to the CPU fan port. WORKED!

The average idle temperature is now 29 Celsius. Fellow first-time builders please be careful. I wasted a lot of time with this. I bought a quiet case and expected little noise. If it wasn't for the noticeable fan noise, I would have simply thought it was just a powerful new build.

Thanks to all of you guys that responded --- those were all great and helpful comments.