How do I know what part of my computer is broken? BLACK SCREEN

tombillbob

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hello,
I just finished building my computer today, I loaded up League of Legends and was 1 minute into the game when the screen went black and then I heard the audio crackle. I switched my computer off and on but nothing appeared on the monitor. I tried with a different monitor and with DVI instead of HDMI. The fan on the graphics card still spins and so do all the case fans and the CPU fan. The light on my case flickers so the HDD is working correctly and the DVD drive opens correctly. How do I know if it my graphics card that is broken or something else. My motherboard doesnt have a internal speaker so I cant listen to the beeps. My system is FX 4100 3.6 Ghz CPU, AMD radeon 6870 1GB, DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory (2*4GB), Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Motherboard and WD 2TB HDD.

tombillbob

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Thanks for the reply, I plan on trying it in a friends computer tomorrow. From how I have described how the problem occured does it sound like it is most definitely the GPU? Also if the card works in another computer what could possibly be the reason?

crimsondivel

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
its a button on the mobo with clr_cmos writen around it
if u didnt ind that just unplug ur pc ,remove the batery installed in the mobo w8 for a couple a aseconds install it again start ur pc and cross ur fingers

It could be anything really: RAM, CPU, Motherboard, power supply or even graphics card. You may try 1 stick of RAM at a time, but other than that, I doubt you can do much other testing.

tombillbob

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Ok it is definitely my graphics card (AMD 6870) that is faulty. I tried it in a friends computer and it didn't work. I also borrowed a really old AMD Radeon x800 XL. Anyway my computer boots up and works fine. I have warranty on my card (seems that its only a day old) so I am going to send for a replacement. Thanks for all who helped.

GabePintaro

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016

Agreed