Sign in with
Your question

Please help me choose which build to go with!

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2012 7:12:15 PM

Hey everyone.

So, I'm going to be building myself a desktop pretty soon, mostly for gaming, and a bit of photo/video editing, and possibly a bit of 3D rendering, but I'm on a really super tight budget. I already have a graphics card, power supply, and case. All I need is a processor, motherboard, RAM, and a hard drive.

I was originally going to go with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE CPU + an MSI 970A-G46 AM3/AM3+ motherboard + a 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD + 4GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws 1333MHz DDR3 RAM. The total after taxes, shipping, and rebates was going to come to around $305 (as of tomorrow though, that price will go up about $15-$20)

Links:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=46281&promoid=1210
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=63468&promoid=1210
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42745&promoid=1210

So, this was going to be my original setup:
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE Quad-Core CPU @ 3.4GHz
- MSI 970A-G46 AM3/AM3+ Motherboard
- ASUS NVIDIA GT 520 1GB GDDR3
- 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1333MHz RAM
- 350W PSU

This build will allow me to upgrade to an Phenom II X6 or FX-series processor in the future, plus the motherboard can support 2-way SLI or CrossFire, so there's that as well.

HOWEVER, I found out this morning that AMD's new APU's have just been released, and I was taking a look at the A10-5800K Quad-Core APU @ 3.8GHz, and it actually looks like it performs very well with its IGP, the HD 7660G, especially for $140 (the price of one in Canada.)

So, some of the questions I have are:
- In gaming, which setup would perform better? The A10-5800K + 7660G, or the Phenom II X4 965 BE + GT 520?
- In video/photo editing, which setup would perform better? The A10-5800K + 7660G, or the Phenom II X4 965 BE + GT 520?
- In 3D rendering, which setup would perform better? The A10-5800K + 7660G, or the Phenom II X4 965 BE + GT 520?
- Would it be worth the extra $50-$80 to buy an A10-5800K APU, a single PCI-E X16 slot motherboard, and a dual-graphics compatible dedicated AMD graphics card? Would I see a noticeable gain in gaming performance if I were to choose this particular setup over the Phenom II X4 965 BE + GT 520?

More about : choose build

October 2, 2012 7:14:17 PM

I just have a quick word of advice: for video editing, rendering, etc, try to get 16 GB RAM, it'll help. ALSO. If you're going with these things because you want to make youtube videos, get a 1-2TB hard drive, you'll need the space. that's all.
October 2, 2012 7:31:02 PM

Booneford said:
I just have a quick word of advice: for video editing, rendering, etc, try to get 16 GB RAM, it'll help. ALSO. If you're going with these things because you want to make youtube videos, get a 1-2TB hard drive, you'll need the space. that's all.

I already have a 100GB internal HDD, and a 1TB external HDD. I don't know how long my 100GB HDD will last though, since it's an old HDD, so I'm going to be using my 100GB HDD for my downloads folder (since I only use my downloads folder to store downloads that I'm going to delete anyway), and my 1TB for games + self-made videos/photos/etc, and I'm going to use the 500GB I'm getting for my OS, music, movies, and TV shows, and such.

As for the RAM, yes I know I'll need more RAM in the future, but like I said, I'll mostly be gaming, so having only 4GB of RAM really doesn't bother me at the moment. Like I said, I'm on a tight budget, so I can live with these minor sacrifices for now.
Related resources
October 2, 2012 8:10:04 PM

I think I've kind-of already answered my own question :p 

I want to be able to upgrade in the future, and with an AM3/AM3+ 2-way SLI/CrossFire motherboard, there's a LOT more room for upgrades.

I would love to get my hands on an A10-5800K APU, but unfortunately, getting an A10-5800K APU + getting an FM2 socket motherboard with no DEDICATED SLI/CrossFire support + a low-end hybrid CrossFire compatible graphics card is going to end up costing me an extra $80-$100 more than my X4 965 BE setup. I could save that extra $80-$100 and put it towards a new part for later on.

From what I've been reading, basically the A10-5800K is a fantastic choice for people who want to build HTPC's and budget gaming PC's that won't have dedicated graphics cards as part of the build.

I, on the other hand, want to be able to upgrade in the future, and with the motherboard I've chosen for my AM3/AM3+ build, I can upgrade all the way to an X6 1100T if I wanted to, or with the FX-series, I can upgrade to an FX-8150 (although, I think I'll upgrade to an FX-4170 before I go with an 8150 :p )
October 2, 2012 8:48:40 PM

Booneford said:
Upgrading later on is a topic I don't know much about, sorry. loll.

Here's my parts list, not including keyboard monitor and mouse (wayyyy over your budget): http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

And your point is...? You have more money to spend than I do, clearly.

I'm trying to build a budget gaming desktop with what little money I have available to me. I'm not trying to max my credit card out.

No more irreverent posts please.
!