Build Opinions Please

Nuluvius

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hey,

I'm about to build a rig for myself. Heres the hardware I've selected for finalization and I'd love to hear your opinions.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820, Sandy Bridge-E, Quad @ 3.6GHz & 10MB Cache
Drives: x1 LG 10x Blu-ray Writer, x2 assorted DVD writers
Case: Cooler Master HAF X
HDD: 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, x4 1TB assorted platter standard
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black PC3-14900
PSU: 750W Corsair Pro Series Gold AX750 (Modular)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
MB: Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU: x1 (initially) 1GB MSI R6870
Fans: Maybe all sythes or another well known brand
Other: Some tasteful neon here and there, maybe

Notes:
I picked the case because I want to mount the H100 in push pull configuration without having to do any extensive modding. The SSD will be used as either a primary boot and OS drive or I can take advantage of the ASUS SSD caching SATA ports on that board and use it as a pure cache drive. I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences with doing that btw. The GPU I have already, so I don't need to buy that... I do have two of them (wife has the other) so I may buy a third and run them in XFire at some point in the future.

That about covers it. Looking forward to hearing your comments :D

zared619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
To be honest, the h100 isn't any better than a high end air cooler. The Thermalright Silver Arrow is a bit cheaper and will cool much better.

Do you really need that i7, or will the 3770k suffice?

I don't have experience on caching the SSD, so sorry on that department.

Other than that, everything looks great.

Nuluvius

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Ah thanks for the replies.

On the subject of the skt 2011 & CPU, its a yes, I do want them. Two reasons: Future proofing and second for the compute capabilities. The H100 would be nice due to its profile factor.. its nice at least imo not to clutter access to the RAM and also if fitted in push pull directed into the case then the voltage regs will benefit from directed cooling from the draw through.

As for the GPU, indeed I had seen that XFire would go further than a single upgrade.

I am however re-considering the SSD, I found several around the same price range with superior read/write performance.