Gerasimos8

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hello everyone, this is my second pc that i'm building now. I don't think this is the problem but it's worth mentioning. I don't have a dedicated gpu and this is the only big difference with my first built. So i tried to do an extrernal build with the motherboard,cpu,cpu fan,psu and ram. I put a screwdriver in the 2 pins to start the system and the cpu fan starts for 1 sec and suddenly stops. No matter how many times i do it it's always the same (not that i expected anything else). I tried doing the same after i do the internal built again with the same components but this time with a case fan and the power and reset switches from the case. This time it happenes exactly the same and also the case fan starts and stop like the cpu. Please tell me what i'm doing wrong or if some of the components are damaged. One thing that i'm pretty scared it might damaged the cpu is that when i took out the cpu from it's plastic case the golden area kind of hit the plastic case. This is my build:

Case : THERMALTAKE Commander MS-I Snow Edition

PSU : Corsair CX430 V2 BUILDER SERIES 430W

MOTHERBOARD : Gigabyte H77-D3H

CPU : Intel Core i5 3330 3.00GHz

RAM : CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 8GB 1600MHZ

DVDRW SAMSUNG 22X SATA BULK BLACK 222BB

HDD SEAGATE SATA3 3.5'' 1TB 7200 64MB

I really need your help. I really stressed not being able to get this build to work. I only tried booting with the components mentioned above (mobo,cpu-cpufan,ram,psu) because i read that it's good to do an external build first in case some of the components are damaged. Please help...

Nuluvius

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
One question comes immediately to my mind: You said you built this 'externally' first? What kind of surface did you place it together upon?

Gerasimos8

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
i placed it first on the paperboard or i don't know how it's called (the material that is like paper). The motherboard was on this material when i got it out and next on the box of the motherboard. (the outer box) i was also careful about esd (i was touching the metal case every few minutes)

Nuluvius

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
No problem. My initial suspicion would be ESD damage from your description of the build process.

For example ESD could have occurred from the laminant of the MB carton - ESD does not necessarily have to originate from yourself.

Nuluvius

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Brushing the pins as you say is another suspect, although usually CPU trays are ESD shielded so this may be unlikely.

Nuluvius

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I suggest you start with the basics, remove everything unnecessary and build up from there using a known good PSU first.

Gerasimos8

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
could really the box damage the motherboard with esd? i was following this video for the proccess and the guy says that the box is fine to put the motherboard on it. Also i hit the cpu golden area with the plastic box not the cpu tray pins in the motherboard. Thanks for the check list and all the answers. i'll try these.

Gerasimos8

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
could it be that i don't have a dedicated card? also about the psu checking. the only way to test with another psu is to disassemble my first pc and take the psu out and i would like to avoid that if it's not a must-do. i took out my gpu from my first pc before to try to put it in this build but then i remember the psu wattage is too low to support it so i put it back in the 1st pc.

That is a very unlikely scenario

Gerasimos8

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
i read and tried all these u said, can anyone tell me something else that can help please?? i really need help. i can't try booting with less components. psu,cpu,mobo,ram are the least that are needed.

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Your options now are to try booting with different components to determine which one is faulty. Try connecting a different kit of RAM. I guess anything beyond that and you're unlucky if you don't have parts lying around to test. CPU/Motherboards are annoying to have to RMA and they aren't cheap to just pick up a new one and test.

If nothing works, you may just be better off taking it into a computer repair store and paying for a diagnostic to find out just what's going on.

To be clear, you've ruled out the power supply as a potential issue? By this, I mean trying to boot with a working (tested) power supply.

Gerasimos8

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
it's a bit late now but tommorow morning i'll try using only one of the stick (4gb) ram, disconnecting my psu from my 1st build to try it in this build, the "breadbutter" even though i already connected my mobo speaker and i can't hear any beep codes but i'll see and of course keep searching. thanks and goodnight. also i was trying to save money by doing this myself so paying for a diagnostic is my last alternative

Gerasimos8

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
thanks everyone for your answers. finally i found what it was when i opened my first pc to take the sticks of ram to test them in this build and then i noticed the 12v atx power connector for the cpu. really newbie mistake to forget to connect that in my second build but i forgot that because the 12v atx cable in the new psu is 8 pin when the motherboard has an 4 pin 12v atx connector. i connected the half cable (4 out of 8 pins) in the connector and now that the cpu has it's power the pc is up and running. after all this i saw the 2 thing in your checklist C12Friedman and it was this. too bad i didn't see it in the first place. thanks again for the help